OCTOBER ROAD

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Cami A.
Catalano

OCTOBER ROAD

Post by Cami A. » Jul 26th 2008, 3:27 am

October Road has now SADLY joined My So-Called Life as an ABC show wrongly canceled before it's time. It had 2 glorious seasons...the first one was only 6 episodes long--but the show made a large impact on me. The characters in this show are unbelievably cool! You end up loving or hating pretty much every one of them!

If you haven't seen October Road, both complete seasons have been uploaded onto YouTube...so you should definitely check it out. Or if you really like it you should definitely buy the box sets and support the amazing minds behind it.

On a related note--the stars who play Nick Garret and Pizza Girl on October Road are in a new movie that premiers in October. It's called "Nobel Son." You can find previews on Yahoo Movies!
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: OCTOBER ROAD

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 26th 2008, 4:04 am

Dedication by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus reminded me A LOT of October Road. I only watched the first few episodes, but the plots are very similar - a high school musician who disappears, makes it big (leaving behind his girlfriend and friends), then returns home many years later.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Jul 26th 2008, 6:31 am

Natasha,
Gee Thanks! I love getting book recommendations!
I'll have to see if I can find this one at the Library...it sounds interesting.
On that note, I'm actually writing an original soap opera right now with a
similar plot line...
It's called "On The Road Again" and it's about a struggling actress living in LA, who left her home town 10 years ago and never returned--but then she gets a phone call that her mom has passed away, so she has to return. Anyways she's got abandoned friends, family and neighbors to face when she returns home...
I've got all the prelimaniary work up at http://z9.invisionfree.com/DRTV/index.php?showforum=63--things like character profiles, videos, a synopsis, a sneak peak at the pilot. I'm planning to premier it in October.
I think October Road fans might enjoy it's similarities and it's differences!

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Jul 16th 2009, 12:54 pm

Hey Cami, we discussed Ocober Road somewhere else in here but I wanted you to know I did watch the first episode on youtube and I really liked it. I like the music they used and thought the acting was good. It's hard to really like the pilot of any show but I thought this showed promise and I'm looking forward to watching more! I espcially thought the chick from 70's show did a great job!

I wonder if some of these shows don't make it because they aren't promoted like they should be....also reality tv has pretty much taken over! Did you happen to see "Life On Mars?" My husband I watched that while it was on and thought it was pretty good.
There's so many different ways to be connected to people.
There are the people you feel this unspoken connection to,
even though there's not even a word for it.
There's the people who you've known forever, who know you in
this way that other people can't, because they've seen you
change...

they've let you change.

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Jul 23rd 2009, 5:44 am

4alifetime,

Hi! I'm glad you liked the pilot of October Road. It's definitely worth watching the entire series. I think the reason why it didn't do so well is because it's not fast paced or flashy like most shows these days. For some stupid reason, that seems to be what people want to see now: racey drama. October Road is slow paced and realistic like MSCL. It's a character study, really. It's my second favorite show (MSCL being the first). And much like MSCL, in which Angela and Jordan were my least favorite characters. My favorite characters are definitely NOT Hannah (from that 70's show) & Nick (the main man and his love interest) on October Road. Instead I like Ikey, Physical Phil, Pizza Girl, Ronnie, and The Commander.

I did see Life On Mars. I really liked it, but the finale ruined it for me. I was severly dissapointed at the corny-nature of the ending. How the turned out to be in the future doing a simulation. It's so cliche and totally undermines what seemed to be a complex mystery that they were building up. Loved Annie "No Nuts" Norris! Oh, and it had Ronnie from October Road as the youngest cop - Chris!

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Jul 23rd 2009, 1:12 pm

I never saw the ending to Life On Mars!!!! Sounds like I didn't miss much though, lol! I thought they just took it off air because we used to watch it after another show we watched religiously(can't remember which one...LOST or Ugly Betty maybe) and then all of a sudden it was gone. Maybe they just changed the day or time slot.

Another show that seems to be doing pretty well but I think gets nowhere near the credit it deserves is Ugly Betty. You should give it a try if you haven't already. I watched it the first season, starting with little to no interest, liked it, lost some interest for awhile and then got back into it big time. I think it had a little slump in the beginning and lost viewers but it is a really really great show, very character driven. If you just flip on the channel and start watching it might seem like fluff but it's a very sentimental show that will make you laugh and cry. And it always ends dramtically and leaving you going...how do they do that every time?! I think you need to see it from the beginning though, like any good show, you need all the back stories to appreciate everything.

Thanks for letting me know how Life on Mars ended, it was killing me not knowing how it ended! Now I can close that chapter of my life!!! :lol:
change...

they've let you change.

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Jul 24th 2009, 1:01 am

4alifetime,

I remember there being a few months where no episode of LOM aired, and then it came back at a new time. I'm not sure when because I watch all my TV online. It was a good show, but I guess since it got cancelled they rushed to wrap everything up and provide answers. And their solution to all of his questions was wack to say the least. I think you can watch them all streaming, HERE.

I am an Ugly Betty fan. Not the best stuff out there, but clever and funny and touching. I love Vanessa Williams as Wilhelmina (sp?)...and Eric Mabius as Daniel. Another show you should check out, though it's off the air now is "THE L WORD"...it was a showtime series that lasted 6 seasons, and was just cancelled in May. It has Eric Mabius in the first season.

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Jul 27th 2009, 9:18 am

I don't think I'll go back and watch the rest of LOM, I'll take your word for it that it was a terrible ending!

I agree that Ugly Betty may not be the best thing out there but it's still a lot better than most everything else, IMO. I love Amanda, she cracks me up. My husband likes the show because it pokes fun at a ridculous industry. In other country's versions of the show Betty and Daniel end up together in the end. Do you think they should end up together in the American version? I go back and forth on that, and think it would depend on how they went about it.

I have heard a lot of people say good things about the L word. The premise just held no interest for me and we don't have any extra channels like Showtime and HBO so I never checked it out. We buy Weeds on DVD and catch up later! It's hard to keep reminding our friends not to give anything away!!! Anyhow, maybe I'll check out the L word on your recommendation, at least give it a try...is it on youtube? It's really hard for me to get into a new show, Lost is one of my favorite shows and I refused to watch the first season cause I thought it sounded unoriginal(being stranded on an island, monsters, etc) but then I caught one episode of the second season, and got totally sucked in, went back watched from the beginning and haven't missed an episode since! lol!
change...

they've let you change.

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Jul 27th 2009, 9:52 am

Hey Cami, I can't find October Road on youtube anymore, at least not the full episodes. Do you know where I can watch it?
change...

they've let you change.

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Jul 29th 2009, 5:08 pm

You're right. They've taken the October Road episodes down now, so you may need to rent or purchase the DVDs. I own the DVDs. Trust me, it's worth it! You can find them for about $20 used per season on Amazon.

The site where I usually watch tv seems to be down at the moment, but I usually go to watchtvsitcoms.com to watch episodes of THE L WORD, they had all of them there a few months ago. I agree, I never thought of watching THE L WORD...I mean the synopsis is something like - a group of lesbian friends in Los Angeles....lol. But the characters are amazing, and while it's got tons of racy sex scenes and should not be watched in the presence of children, the plot and the quality of the relationships and interactions between characters are amazing!! And the actors are amazing. Here's a good clip from Youtube that shows funny moments from my favorite character, Shane, played by Katherine Moennig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBACFxshxuM

I like Amanda too! I especially like when her and Betty become roommates/friends!
BUT NO WAY IN HELL SHOULD DANIEL AND BETTY END UP TOGETHER...THAT'S JUST WRONG. IMHO, I want Gio to come back!!

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Jul 30th 2009, 12:57 pm

Yay Gio, I like him too! I Netflixed October Road!

PS. I had "The L Word" mixed up with "Big Love" by the way. I never checked out L Word, again, cause I don't have any premium channels but I heard good things about it.
change...

they've let you change.

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Jul 30th 2009, 1:02 pm

I just watched that clip of The L Word you sent me a link to, that show should be called "The F Word" :lol:
change...

they've let you change.

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Jul 30th 2009, 4:20 pm

Oh, Big Love! I have all the seasons on DVD. One of my favorite shows!
Very very good. Definitely watch it. You'll love it! It's got great characters too, and themes of growing up, relating to family and peers etc, just like MSCL. And I can't wait to hear your thoughts on October Road!

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Sep 14th 2009, 11:06 am

I just finished the 1st ep of season 2. What the hell? Please tell me Eddy is not Sam's father????????????????????????????
change...

they've let you change.

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Sep 16th 2009, 2:48 pm

Cami, a friend told me about the 10 minute finale clip that I guess was only on the DVD's and never aired. Thank god, I was a huge Janet/Eddie fan and cried when they ended(initially) it the way they did. Thank god for the clip being on youtube, although I will most likely buy the DVD's at some point. Thanks for recommending such a great show, I really liked it. :D
change...

they've let you change.