The ebb and flow of being a fan…

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
stburr91
Liberty High Student

Re: The ebb and flow of being a fan…

Post by stburr91 » Apr 23rd 2009, 11:16 am

I've never done a marathon of MSCL. I usually watch one a week starting in late August to January, like how the show originally aired.
What's amazing is when you can feel your life going somewhere. Like your life just figured out how to get good. Like, that second."

redordead
Tino

Post by redordead » Jun 2nd 2009, 3:31 pm

not wierd at all, i think you're absolutely right. Also here in the uk, no one has ever heard of it so it's like having a lovely secret too!

haunted_mind
Tino

Post by haunted_mind » Jun 21st 2009, 10:41 pm

redordead wrote:I think it's interesting that you persuade other people to watch, you must be a very generous person. I keep it very close to my chest and don't tell anybody about it, unless they really pass the close friend i can trust you stage. I think maybe i'm just paranoid that they're not going to love it as they should which is stupid, because does that mean i wouldn't be able to hold up an argument for how great it is. or maybe it's just so much a part of my life that what they think of it houses all my insecurities. Oh god, worries, worries! What do you think?

This is so true! When I mention to someone that I'm watching the show, I always end up trying to explain the show to them if they've never seen it, or explain why it's so amazing to me. And if they aren't going to feel the same way, they can move on. I just recently watched it with my sister who is 16 and she was hooked from Episode 1, so it's now something we share.
*It's like you've created your own prison, and now you have to exist in it*

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jul 14th 2009, 12:15 pm

I haven't watched any episodes since I devoured the Shout! Factory DVD release. I think I'm going to start watching them more slowly this week. In the past, I've started with watching one. Then, I watch another and another, back-to-back. I think making myself stop at one a night and savoring each one might be the way to go this time.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Jul 16th 2009, 1:40 pm

I watched MSCL on ABC and fell in love immediately. But we didn't have cable(gasp!) so I never had the pleasure of catching reruns on MTV and getting sucked back in. But I never forgot the show and then one day years later I found an old VHS tape somehwere while I was moving and it had the Halloween episode on it. OH HAPPY DAY! I watched until I couldn't anymore....and tried to remember all the other episodes. Eventually I bought the first 3 episodes on VHS and then finally the entire season on DVD(the one with absolutely no extras or fun things but who cares- it was the entire season on DVD!). I, like Natasha, prefer to watch the the entire season in one sitting. I think it's because I feel less bad about the show only being one season if I treat it like a movie! And I burned out that first set of DVD's I bought and never once got even the slightest bit tired of it.

Over the years since all of that(amazing story I know!) I've of course gotten older(i'm 29 as of the day of this post) and have gotten married and have had 2 children. I still watch my DVD sets(plural- i have many) but my marathon days are over- my kids are 1 and 2 and that gets in the way lol! I dream of dropping them off at my in-laws for a night and having myself a marathon. But I think it's normal to go through phases where you watch a lot and where you get a little bored. It doesn't mean just because you aren't watching an episode every day that the show takes up less space in your heart!

As far as sharing the show, I quote it constantly and have been known to post quotes on Facebook as my status...anyone else do that????
There's so many different ways to be connected to people.
There are the people you feel this unspoken connection to,
even though there's not even a word for it.
There's the people who you've known forever, who know you in
this way that other people can't, because they've seen you
change...

they've let you change.

redordead
Tino

Post by redordead » Nov 10th 2009, 12:35 pm

absolutely - that's what i was trying to say! thanks

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 13th 2010, 1:23 am

It's that time again :mrgreen: I skipped disc one, and forgot how much I really love disc two. I'm pretty much obsessed with Devon Gummersall's use of his eyebrows. And Jared's blinking. And Devon Odessa's sass. Patty and Graham together -- I love them so much. And Graham. Oh Graham. And just, the show, 'because, of the way, that [it is].'
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 13th 2010, 1:33 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:HA! I'm back here again. ... God do I love Graham! Those Graham and Hallie scenes kill me. I love Patty and Graham togeher, but I'm always a big fan of Miss Hallie Lowenthal (she's not my 'worst nightmare') and the Liberty Guru, Cynthia Hargrove! :mrgreen:
Jody Barsch* wrote:It's that time again. ... And Graham. Oh Graham. And just, the show, 'because, of the way, that [it is].'
Just reread this thread. Pattern much? At least I'm loyal. :mrgreen: I didn't have a lot of patience with the adults' scenes when I was in high school -- although the genius of Mary Kay Place is evident at any age -- but now they are such a source of joy. So well done.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Post by stburr91 » Apr 26th 2010, 10:11 pm

Jody Barsch* wrote:
Jody Barsch* wrote:HA! I'm back here again. ... God do I love Graham! Those Graham and Hallie scenes kill me. I love Patty and Graham togeher, but I'm always a big fan of Miss Hallie Lowenthal (she's not my 'worst nightmare') and the Liberty Guru, Cynthia Hargrove! :mrgreen:
Jody Barsch* wrote:It's that time again. ... And Graham. Oh Graham. And just, the show, 'because, of the way, that [it is].'
Just reread this thread. Pattern much? At least I'm loyal. :mrgreen: I didn't have a lot of patience with the adults' scenes when I was in high school -- although the genius of Mary Kay Place is evident at any age -- but now they are such a source of joy. So well done.

That's what I love about the show, it's so well rounded in it's plots, that as I get older, I keep finding new parts of the show to enjoy.
What's amazing is when you can feel your life going somewhere. Like your life just figured out how to get good. Like, that second."