Few questions

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.

Post by Guest » Oct 24th 2003, 3:20 pm

Candygirl wrote:
Either Angela's birthday takes place between January and October (fairly likely) or it took place off camera some time after Pressure (November/December). It's unlikely that the writers would ignore Angela turning 16, so the first explanation seems more reasonable.
yeah, I agree.After all,they did have Rayanne turn 16?.And angela is the main character.

Jody Barsch

Post by Jody Barsch » Nov 17th 2003, 12:46 am

"and when they mention brians sister I think it is just to give more depth to the character ... it just gives the characters more depth... its just something for the audience to see more into... "

I don't know what you consider "depth," but but just mentioning a sis ter does not give a character depth, the simple fact of a sibling does not engender character development.

I agree that the mention of a sibling just after Graham saying, 'just that once..." was just another MSCL mistake (such as the basement, or the sweater switch in "Self-Esteem," or the boom that comes into a shot in "Resolutions"). However, in the case of the basement that mistake happened between two different episodes, this "mistake" happens within one, which is worse, or makes us question if it really is a mistake.
It could be that Graham just said 'that once" for dramatic affect, it would not have been such a clever response had he said, "Oh i know, just those two times to make Brian and his sister." She lives in Colorado and is married, I'm sure it easy for the neighbors to forget about this Krakow--out of sight, out of mind, plus Patty and Graham are not best friends with the Krakows.

As for Angela's Birthday, although I do not know how it got started on this thread, her birthday could be after January, even during the summer (many people are fifteen for their entire sophomore year). I do agree that MSCL would not have skipped Angela's sixteenth b-day, all the more reason to think it did not occur during the time the show covered. The only mentio of Angela's birthday is in "Weekend" when Sharon says, 'Is this that lavendar top I got you for your birthday?"

Post by Guest » Dec 4th 2003, 4:31 pm

Brian is lying when he says that his parents are going to visit his sister in Colorado, because he does not want the people on the hotline to know that it is him. If you recall, Patty says that Brian's parents are actually going on a cruise.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 4th 2003, 4:55 pm

Brian did not say that his parents were going to visit his sister. He said that his parents asked if he wanted to visit his sister (instead of staying at home by himself):
See, it's not like I enjoy spending time with my parents or anything -- so -- when they first told me they were going away, they asked me if -- if I wanted to go to Denver -- to my sister and her husband's house -- but -- I - I said no, because -- I thought -- you know -- it'll be great. I'll -- work on my PSATs.
Although Brian is paranoid enough not to give his real name, he doesn't seem consider the possibility that he might be talking to someone he knows at Liberty until after he talks about his sister. When Rayanne says, "So, Steve, you never asked me my name," he realizes that he could be talking to someone from his high school and has a slight moment of panic, asking if she goes to Liberty (which is stupid since that question indicates that he goes to Liberty!).
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Post by Guest » Dec 7th 2003, 12:42 pm

Candygirl wrote;
When Rayanne says, "So, Steve, you never asked me my name," he realizes that he could be talking to someone from his high school and has a slight moment of panic, asking if she goes to Liberty (which is stupid since that question indicates that he goes to Liberty!).

I agree.For someone who's incredibly inteligent , he says a lot of stupid things.You know how people always say Catalano is a moron and stupid and I don't know what else?Well gues what? He's not the only one in the show.Just because he(Brian) gets excellent grades doesn't mean he's a genious.It just means that he studies a lot and doesn't have time for anything else...O.K I'm off topic here

Few questions?What kind of tops is that?

Post by Guest » Dec 28th 2003, 7:32 am

This topic says few questions,so I guess this is the right place for,you know, questions.

I'm not from America, so I don't know, but don't you have,like Christmas holidays there?Because in "So-called angels"people are still in school,one day before Christmas Eve.I guess that's just a little weird for me.
I also watched "Why Jordan can't read" and asked this question there but that's an old thred, so...
Why does Patty think that Graham won't be able to handle the fact that Jordan is good looking?

And why do they have to meet him first?That's way to formal if you ask me.It's not like they are getting marrried or something.O.K That's all for now

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Dec 30th 2003, 1:18 am

Anonymous wrote:but don't you have, like Christmas holidays there?
Yes, generally we get a week off before Christmas and a week off after. This year Friday the 19th was the last day before break for me. I'll have to re-watch the episode to see if they were actually in school the day before Christmas, because it doesn't seem very likely. Probably the episode just skips a few days, not accounting for every day of their vacation.
Anonymous wrote:Why does Patty think that Graham won't be able to handle the fact that Jordan is good looking?
Partially it seems to me that Patty is speaking for both Graham and herself -- sometimes we tell others what we need to tell ourselves. Why might parents have to be extra prepared for a good-looking boyfriend/girlfriend? Well, Hallie relates one's degree of trouble as relative to his/her degree of attractiveness: "But let me tell you, trouble; way too gorgeous.” Also, I think that parents are always a little subconsciously uncomfortable when the new friend, especially a love interest, enters their child's life and takes them a little more away. Not to say that parents begrudge their children friends or lovers, but as children progress through adolescence, they begin to look beyond their immediate family for their support system -- they turn to their friends for advice rather than their parents, they would rather go to their friend's party than the one their parents throw, etc. (which is why Patty and Graham are so relieved when Angela does turn to them: calling for help in "Other People’s Mothers" and talking out the whole Rayanne situation with them in "Off the Wagon"). Perhaps Patty feels that a good looking guy will draw Angela away from them even a little more than the average guy. I think also the reason that Patty says this to Graham is that Angela and Graham always had a really close relationship,*

AngelaVO: My dad and I used to be pretty tight...
Patty: I mean you know she loves you more.
[Chase house flashback]
Angela: Daddy's home!
Graham: Hey! Hi, honey!
Angela: [jumps into his arms] Daddy, Daddy, Daddy!
Angela: When someone you used to trust, say a lot...
I think in a way, it hurts Graham to see another guy come into her life,
Patty: I like Brian don't you?
Graham : Until a few seconds ago.
and the fact that he’s gorgeous makes the competition for his daughter’s attention even tougher.

* (although there is distance and/or distrust, as the case may be, between them after Angela sees Graham with the young woman in the street, Angela does eventually move beyond it).
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re: Few questions

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 1st 2009, 8:22 pm

Because I'm lazy and don't want to search through all 17 transcripts (not to mention timed) -- When, if ever, does the show establish that it is set in "Three Rivers"? I know that in "Other People's Mothers" Rayanne mentions Pittsburgh, but that's all I can remember. Was there a sign somewhere, was it spoken, or did we get this information from ABC's press etc?

And where are the rivers? :mrgreen:
Obviously they converged and flooded the Chase's Brigadoon-esque basement.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Apr 5th 2009, 7:41 am

I think "Three Rivers" was never actually mentioned in the dialogue in the show. It was probably in the production notes and some on-screen references. As far as I can remember, there was close-up of a book in the "Halloween" episode where the library check-out slip mentions "Liberty High, Three Rivers" or something like that. But I could be wrong.

majesty
Three Rivers Resident

Re:

Post by majesty » Apr 16th 2009, 6:07 pm

Jody Barsch wrote: It could be that Graham just said 'that once" for dramatic affect, it would not have been such a clever response had he said, "Oh i know, just those two times to make Brian and his sister." She lives in Colorado and is married, I'm sure it easy for the neighbors to forget about this Krakow--out of sight, out of mind, plus Patty and Graham are not best friends with the Krakows.

That's exactly what I think. It was more for comedic effect, and it sounds better than, "Just those two times to make Brian and his sister we never see."

majesty
Three Rivers Resident

Post by majesty » Apr 16th 2009, 7:02 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:I think "Three Rivers" was never actually mentioned in the dialogue in the show. It was probably in the production notes and some on-screen references.

Interesting. I remember not knowing anything about "Three Rivers" until coming to this site.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jul 15th 2009, 11:49 am

The town name Three Rivers appears on the policeman's uniform in "Pilot." Often, when a person lives in a suburb or bedroom community of a major city, he or she will associate himself/herself with the major city, since this city is much more well known. Three Rivers is part of Greater Pittsburg.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/