Using MSCL in the Classroom

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
majesty
Three Rivers Resident

Using MSCL in the Classroom

Post by majesty » Mar 19th 2009, 8:28 pm

Hey, guys!

It's been awhile, but I've been browsing through the site and forum without a lot of time to reply.

Anyway, I wanted to know what you guys thought about using MSCL in the classroom. I hope to be a first year language arts/reading teacher this fall, and I've been thinking of ways to have interesting activities and reading materials for students (I want to teach intermediate/middle school levels).

One thing that's recommended for student interest is scripts. Reading/performing scripts (typically called "reader's theater") is usually something interesting for kids, even struggling readers. Reading them aloud helps students practice reading fluently with expression.

With that idea in mind, I've been thinking, "Why not use scripts from my own favorite shows in the classroom?" I hope to use The Wonder Years, Freaks and Geeks, Are You Afraid of the Dark? and others. I think MSCL would be a good choice for several reasons. Kids in the grade levels I want to teach more than likely will have no idea about the show, which means it will be something new and fresh to them (and, selfishly, I find a particular joy in being the one to introduce my favorite shows to people I know :wink: ). Plus, we all know how incredible the writing on the show is, and how wonderful the characters are, so I think it would draw in young kids/teens.

Can any of you help me think of activities for the classroom using MSCL scripts, or perhaps clips? I've thought of some basic things, like having them work in groups to read the scripts, then analyze the characters or plot. Also, they could read a portion of a scene or two, then write their own ending.

I'd appreciate other ideas! :D Specific episodes/scenes would be helpful.

Cami A.
Catalano

Re: Using MSCL in the Classroom

Post by Cami A. » Mar 25th 2009, 11:46 pm

I wish my teachers would have done something like this with me, but honestly, I think MSCL is a little too complex and mature for middle schoolers. I mean the students in it are supposed to be 15, and there are strong themes of sex. It would be better for a upperclassman high school or undergraduate college English course. I do really envy your position though. Teaching MSCL? What a dream!
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 26th 2009, 5:08 am

Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

majesty
Three Rivers Resident

Post by majesty » Mar 26th 2009, 6:24 pm

Cami, that crossed my mind. I think it would be best if I edited the scripts, for variou

Sorry, natasha! I can venture to the other threads.

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Jul 27th 2009, 1:08 pm

My husband is an English teacher in a middle school and I am constantly telling him to use MSCL! You can easily edit or use scenes that are appropriate for different age levels.
There's so many different ways to be connected to people.
There are the people you feel this unspoken connection to,
even though there's not even a word for it.
There's the people who you've known forever, who know you in
this way that other people can't, because they've seen you
change...

they've let you change.

bbecham
Frozen Embryo

Post by bbecham » Dec 15th 2010, 2:56 am

well i use it sometimes.