Why Brian ends up with Angela

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Jody Barsch

Response to other's entries

Post by Jody Barsch » Oct 31st 2003, 6:46 pm

"Going back early into the series, Patty discusses how she didn't really notice Graham in school. … However, she came to see Graham's affections for her and realized that she too loved him, and they wound up together."
Except nothing is ever said to indicate that Graham pined over patty the way Brian does over Angela. Graham says, "meanwhile I couldn't get a girl to look at me" It isn't that he was in love with Patty and his love was unrequited, it was that he was not so hot, nobody noticed him, and Patty was beautiful and way popular.

"But it's Brian WHO is the cornerstone of her heart, and she of his heart,"
What evidence do you have that Brian is the "cornerstone" of Angela's heart?? That seems like an unfounded claim. Clearly Angela is fond of him, but I would hardly say he is the cornerstone of her heart.

"and also keep in mind that girls always go for guys who are like their dads."
This is just a broad generalization that in no way proves anything about Angela and Brian.

"[Graham] likes to have Brian over at the house so much."
What show have you been watching? Graham tolerates and Brian and bonds with him a little. However, I think it is taking it too far to say that he likes having Brian over.

"Also consider how much more Angela fights with Brian. When Patty is wondering if Graham might be cheating, she wonders if he is fighting with Hallie, for where there are strong arguments, there is passion. There is more passion between Angela and Brian."
Not every time we fight with someone does it have something to do with desire, and not every passion is sexual.

"Angela walks in on Brian and Sharon laughing in her bedroom. …I think it throws Angela off that Brian's company is both needed and wanted by someone, … Angela wants this as well."
I think that it is more likely that Angel feels uncomfortable and estranged from her friend, and probably self-conscious, thinking that they are laughing at her. it is too strange for her, rather something that she wants a part of.

"...but not so. She has to physically pry an embrace from him and even then it isn't genuine or long-lived."
I totally disagree here. It is always painful for me to watch this scene because in truth, Angela still doesn't really know Jordan at this point, and yet she is turning to him expecting comfort. Jordan does give her attention though. He asks her what's wrong (he doesn't just ignore it), and her gives her the hug, she waits for it, HE HUGS HER. True, he does walk away once his friend shows up, but again, he hardly owes Angela anything, they still do not know each other that well yet. I love him in that scene, just the way he throws the cigarette and holds her in one movement. And when he hugs her, he really holds her. Please review the scene again.

"Angela follows that up by slowly and seriously confessing to Brian that is doesn't work with just anyone (as in her rejected attempt at receiving comfort from Jordan)."
Interesting point!

"I think she would have probably ended up with Brian also because: He knows and cares a lot about her."
So because Brian knows and cares about Angela, that means that Angela will like him?? It does not work that way. (Example, everyone on this site knows and loves MSCL, but that didn't keep it on the air, Brian liking Angela is NOT enough to make her like him.

"IN the last show Angela looks hesitant to go with Jordan, she looks at Brian with longing eyes."
Yes, Angela is hesitant to go with Jordan, but I would not say that she looks at Brian with Longing," but rather with sober understanding and empathy.

Post by Guest » Nov 2nd 2003, 2:18 pm

Also consider how much more Angela fights with Brian. When Patty is wondering if Graham might be cheating, she wonders if he is fighting with Hallie, for where there are strong arguments, there is passion. There is more passion between Angela and Brian."
Not every time we fight with someone does it have something to do with desire, and not every passion is sexual.
I agree.If it was for the fights,Jordan and Angela would have definately end up together.They almost always fight or disagree on something.

Besides, Angela and Brian, besides reading alot of the same books, and have VERY similar speech patterns, really do not have all that much in common, it isn't like they're a perfect match in answer to the somewhat mismatch of Jordan and Angela.
Again I agree.I think Angela is even more like Jordan then like Brian

Post by Guest » Nov 4th 2003, 2:51 pm

[quote] Even though Graham was socially more like Brian when he was in High school, at this point in his life, he is more like Jordan -- the girls/women love them.[/quote
So what?Does that mean that Jordan at the age of will be like Graham(when he was in highschool)?

Post by Guest » Nov 4th 2003, 2:55 pm

Wait a sec.Let me try again.You say that Graham is like Jordan in the present.But will Jordan be like Graham was in highschool when he'll be?

majesty
Three Rivers Resident

Re: Why Brian ends up with Angela

Post by majesty » Aug 2nd 2008, 6:45 pm

VERY interesting thread. I've never before thought about the ways Graham parallels both Jordan and Brian. Thanks for the good points.

I think Angela ends up with Brian, though.

Abbaloushka
Tino

Re: Response to other's entries

Post by Abbaloushka » Jan 24th 2009, 11:25 am

"[Graham] likes to have Brian over at the house so much."
What show have you been watching? Graham tolerates and Brian and bonds with him a little. However, I think it is taking it too far to say that he likes having Brian over.

I think he likes having Brian over. Graham plays catch with Brian, Brian helps with the wall paper; Graham tries to get Brian to help with the gutters; he uses Brian as an example of someone they care about to Patty (re: Rickie's bruise).
I mean, that, uh, poem? That oak tree poem? That was yesterday. What are you going to write today?