Skins

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Skins

Post by Sascha » Aug 9th 2008, 3:03 pm

I'm a bit surprised that we didn't have a thread for the British series "Skins" yet. The first season of "Skins" aired in early 2007 on the British channel E4 and will premiere on August 17th at 9/8c on BBC America. The second season aired earlier this year in the UK.

I actually own the first season DVD (you can get it on amazon.co.uk or other UK DVD stores) and can really highly recommend this show for its very bizarre but sometimes also very realistic portrayal of teenagers in the 21st century and I think some (adult) fans of "My So-Called Life" may also enjoy this show. But be prepared for some very strange storylines -- this is a show about teenagers ... but it's not for teenagers. This show is rated R (or MA) and there's quite a bit of sex, drugs and foul language. It's pretty raw sometimes and also over-the-top --- but still, it's in my opinion one of the best teenager shows of the past years. The final five minutes of the season one finale are hilarious and unique in so many ways, you won't believe your eyes (or ears ;-))

The second season was a bit of a letdown though. It took always the entire season (of ten episodes) until it got back to its old strength. A third season is already in production and will air sometime in 2009 in the UK, but in a very unusual move for a scripted show the producers decided to drop the entire cast (which makes sense when you've seen the second season finale). It's an interesting way to avoid that whole "The College Years"-problem of many teenage tv-shows.

Anyway, if you're in the US, check it out on BBC America. If you're from Europe you probably know this show already anyway.

DaphneMays
Tino

Re: Skins

Post by DaphneMays » Aug 11th 2008, 2:20 pm

I'm so excited for Skins to make it over to US television! I think one of the most interesting aspects of the show is it's young writers... most of the series is written by people under the age of 22!

I watched some of the cast interviews not long ago on the official YouTube page, found their take on the show pretty interesting!

I also think Cassie's character (the eccentric drug-abusing blond girl) is pretty similar to Rayanne in MSCL, anyone else see it?

Anyone who wants to watch, it premieres this Sunday the 17th at 9 PM! Look forward to discussing it with you guys :)

-Daphne
Attachments
Skins_CAST_A.jpg

MonnyUK2
Three Rivers Resident

Post by MonnyUK2 » Aug 12th 2008, 6:50 am

I watched the first series of Skins and most of the second series and while it does show how complex the life of teenagers has become I felt it was very good and it wasn't afriad of tackling the major issues of our time head on. It can be a bit far fetched at times but stories covering homophobia, racism, eating disorders whilst keeping a humourous approach is something Skins does very well. It is very much for an adult audience so don't let any minors near it and look at for that great British humour, lol! Two episodes I think wre very good were the pilot and the one where they go to Russia but I wont spoil it anymore. Enjoy!

DaphneMays
Tino

Post by DaphneMays » Aug 14th 2008, 2:48 pm

That's a really nice way of putting it, I couldn't agree more. Somehow with all the serious situations the show throws you into, Skins manages to make you laugh with something comical. Who's your favorite character? You can already guess mine is Cassie! Haha... here are some cute pics of her with Sid...

Check out more pics of the cast on the Flickr page: http://flickr.com/photos/29473297@N02/

:D

MonnyUK2
Three Rivers Resident

Post by MonnyUK2 » Aug 15th 2008, 10:11 am

I didn't really have a favourite charcter but I liked Sid. He has some really funny moments. I don't if in the US they will appriciate some of the humour as some of it you have to be British to understand but you never know. Cassie was a bit too weird and out there for me, lol! I guess in some ways she is similar to Rayanne from MSCL.

DaphneMays
Tino

Post by DaphneMays » Aug 19th 2008, 2:43 pm

Yeah, Sid's great! :) I think he seems the most "real" of the group.

Has anyone here joined the Twitter craze? I'm just getting into recently myself... But now you can follow Skins on Twitter and leave comments while you watch the show! Or just let us know what you're up to: http://twitter.com/skinsbbcamerica

:)

DaphneMays
Tino

Post by DaphneMays » Aug 22nd 2008, 4:00 pm

Yay! new vids up on the Skins youtube page this week! Get ready for episode 3 with an inside look into Jal's character, a clip from this week's upcoming episode, and more :) It's all here: http://www.youtube.com/skinsbbcamerica

What do you guys think about Jal? It took some time for her to grow on me, but now I really dig her character...

DaphneMays
Tino

Post by DaphneMays » Aug 26th 2008, 2:23 pm

Chris's episode is this upcoming weekend! It's one of my favorites so I'm happy :)

Thought this video was cute... the Skins boys do social networking! haha, check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ula5HR220fk

I wonder if they actually check their pages anymore or have someone that does it for them... they must get a good amount of fan mail, at least I imagine they would?

DaphneMays
Tino

Post by DaphneMays » Aug 27th 2008, 8:52 pm

Speaking of Chris, there's a new preview for his upcoming episode up on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYSRbt2z98E

I should have a clip from that episode soon too, I'll keep ya posted! ;)

DaphneMays
Tino

Post by DaphneMays » Aug 28th 2008, 5:04 pm

Here's an interview with the cast weighing in on Chris: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiJKj86Hdg8 :)

DaphneMays
Tino

Post by DaphneMays » Aug 28th 2008, 9:18 pm

Here's that clip from the next episode I mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ej_-8LsNLA

And some more Chris vids just posted today: Check out the Chris Playlist on youtube for all of his videos :)

DaphneMays
Tino

Post by DaphneMays » Aug 29th 2008, 4:44 pm

Posted a new video today!
Nicholas Hoult and Joseph Dempsie talk about Tony's philosophy.

Despite being the little manipulator, I love his character... misguided, but still really smart and clever. And it's so weird seeing him all grown up from his earlier days as the kid on About A Boy, haha... what do you think about him?

DaphneMays
Tino

Post by DaphneMays » Sep 2nd 2008, 7:01 pm

If you haven't seen this yet, take a look :)

Skins cast members recommend their favorite youtube videos: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... F12928402A

DaphneMays
Tino

Post by DaphneMays » Sep 3rd 2008, 3:54 pm

About the Actors video playlist is up on Youtube! New interviews posted with Hannah Murray, Nicholas Hoult and Joseph Dempsie where they discuss acting, visiting America and where they were born... take a look!

DaphneMays
Tino

Post by DaphneMays » Sep 4th 2008, 4:37 pm

Swing by the Everything Sid playlist on youtube for interviews and clips featuring Mike Bailey! His episode is airing this weekend!