Favorite MSCL Moment

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Re: Favorite MSCL Moment

Post by dTheater » Mar 6th 2002, 12:44 am

So many to choose from, but my favorite moment is actually not the end of Self-Esteem. It would definitely be up at the top though. My favorite moment is always changing, and seeing as I've scene only the first 3 episodes in about the last 2 years, it's especially difficult to choose, but I always come back to that scene in "Why Jordan Can't Read" when Brian goes to the Chase house to pick up his book and sees Angela all dressed up for her date with Jordan, and they get into that great argument. Don't know what it is about that moment - it's not special to me emotionally or mentally or anything - it's just so perfect.

- jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com/

Brooklyn
Tino

Post by Brooklyn » Mar 7th 2002, 5:32 pm

I have so many favorite moments, but if I had to choose just one, it would be the final scene of the series in episode 19 when Brian reveals his true feelings (sorta) towards Angela and then Jordan comes and takes her away from him. I think that was the first time Angela showed any compassion toward Brian, she usually was so rude to him.

Lauria
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Lauria » Mar 8th 2002, 2:53 pm

Let me just add this to my other favorites I listed here earlier:

The ending scene of The Zit. I just watched that episode again and I cry everytime I see that ending. It just deeply touches my heart at this point in my life. I love Angela's voiceover there.

hope springs eternal

Gilly
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Gilly » Apr 16th 2005, 8:31 pm

I watched the show when it was first on and more or less forgot about it for 10 years until I discovered it on TV late one night and fell in love all over again. In the pilot when Angela is sitting at the dinner table with her family and she says "I just can't bring myself to eat a well balanced meal in front of my mother... I just means too much to her" always rang through my head whenever my mom was driving me mad, despite the fact that I hadn't seen the show in ages! It was just so true to my life!

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » May 6th 2005, 8:44 am

To this day, whenever I am sad I think of the Rickie and Delia scene and sing "what is love" in my head.
Lauria wrote:Rickie and Delia's crazy dancing at the World Happiness Dance

Heather
Frozen Embryo

Favorite MSCL moment

Post by Heather » May 25th 2005, 11:25 am

Without a doubt the holding hands was like no other, and everytime I see it I wonder why the show was cancelled, so much emotion, and we all felt like we were there in the hall watching Jordon make that big step, thats how real it was!
But my other favorite part was when Angela fell to the ground in her room. This is my most relative moment, as I guess I had my own "Jordon" in high school. Looking back I remeber doing the exact same thing. Claire Danes' acting blows me away!

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Feb 25th 2008, 7:42 am

My favorite scene was during Life of Brian at the World Happiness Dance. The whole scene when Angela is comforting Rickie and then Jordan asks her "why are you like this? " followed by that great dance scene with Rickie and Delia is perfect. There is sadness, and then strangeness, and then happiness. The part where Rickie says he belongs nowhere and Angela hugs him makes me cry everytime I see it. I think its so Ironic that Rickie and Delia are the only ones who seem to actually have a good time, even though they were rejected...

I love Rickie, he's so cool and like the Best character in the whole show.
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

Cami A.
Catalano

Re:

Post by Cami A. » Feb 25th 2008, 7:45 am

Gilly wrote:I watched the show when it was first on and more or less forgot about it for 10 years until I discovered it on TV late one night and fell in love all over again. In the pilot when Angela is sitting at the dinner table with her family and she says "I just can't bring myself to eat a well balanced meal in front of my mother... I just means too much to her" always rang through my head whenever my mom was driving me mad, despite the fact that I hadn't seen the show in ages! It was just so true to my life!
I totally agree. I remember feeling like that about my mom in high school. Even better is "Lately I can't look at my mother without wanting to stab her, repeatedly" and then she stabs the fork at her plate and glares at her mom. The pilot is one of the best episodes of the season.
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

MonnyUK2
Three Rivers Resident

Post by MonnyUK2 » Feb 25th 2008, 11:30 am

This is so tough. I have so many. I can't understand the fascination with the end of self esteem but it was well shot and it is a great moment for Angela. I would say my favourite moments are as follows:

1) The end of the pilot when Angela and Brian talk and you get that famous widescreen shot of the two of them and the streetlight shining down. It is wonderful on a widescreen TV.

2) Life of Brian - When Brian tells the police and Mr Foster that he will take any more of their harassment.

3) Why Jordan Can't Read - Jordan singing 'Red' and that well shot brilliant argument between Angela and Brian. That scene needs to analysed further. I also think the last scene of this eposode is good between Brian and Angela.

4) Strangers in the House - When Angela stops to talk to Brian at the end and they have this really nice moment where Angela compliments Brian.

5) Halloween - Brian and Rayanne in the school basement

6) Other People Mothers - When rayanne OD's as this is very powerful.

7) The whole of Life of Brian especially the last 15 minutes at the dance.

8) Self Esteem - No not the end but when Brian looses the plot and has a go at Angela.

9) Pressure - Scene between Angela and Jordan at the end. Very emotional.

10) So Called Angels -Scene between Jordan and Ricky. The scene between Patty and the angel towards the end. Brian speaking to Rayanne on the teen chatline. That moment is hilarious.

12) Resolutions - Scene between Rayanne and Sharon in the Gym "Come on Cherski work those abs" lol. The scene when Brian and Jordan first start tutoring.

13) Betrayal - Rayanne and Angela at the end. So emotional.

14) In Dreams - Yes you guessed it, the end scene. Also, the scenes where Brian is helping Jordan. The scene when Jordan tells Angela "he did an undefendable thing" and Brian is listening. He begins to realise the power his words can have.

To throw something else in. The scene that pains me everytime to watch is when Brian dumps Delia in "Life of Brian". I always have to hide behind my sofa. "Brian, don't do it". Maybe that could be another topic our least favourite moments.

To choose my favourite I don't know. I would have to go for the end of "In Dreams". Knowing meI will change my mind again.