GLAAD Visibilidad Award for Wilson Cruz (2008)

Discuss former or new projects of Wilson Cruz ("Rickie Vasquez") in this forum.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

GLAAD Visibilidad Award for Wilson Cruz (2008)

Post by Sascha » Jan 26th 2008, 10:13 am

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) announced this week that Wilson Cruz will receive the 2008 GLAAD Visibilidad Award.

Best known for his role as Rickie Vasquez, the troubled gay teen on the popular television series My So-Called Life, Wilson Cruz knows first-hand the struggles and hardships that face young lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. Cruz came out to his own parents at age 19, and subsequently ended up living in his car and with friends after his parents threw him out of his home. Cruz then came to Hollywood as an openly gay actor. After earning acclaim for his work on My So-Called Life, Cruz also landed roles in the films Nixon, Joyride, All Over Me, Supernova, and Party Monster. His television work includes roles on ER, Ally McBeal, West Wing, Noah's Arc, Party of Five and Monk. Cruz also recently portrayed Angel in the critically acclaimed Broadway production of Rent. Off the stage, Cruz devotes his time to community work, serving as a mentor to gay youth, especially youth of color. He filmed a PSA about the issue of homeless LGBT youth, and has volunteered his time as host for the Youth Zone, an online community at Gay.com for GLBT youth.

The Visibilidad Award is presented to an openly lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender Spanish-language media professional who has made a significant difference in promoting equal rights for our community. Previous Visibilidad honorees include Richard Pérez-Feria and Jaime Bayly.