Angela's "relationship" with Jordan

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
a/beautiful/lie
Frozen Embryo

Post by a/beautiful/lie » Jul 13th 2007, 8:46 pm

I think there was a relationship between them, but it was almost entirely unspoken. True, much of it was "projected" by Angela, but there was something honestly there. Angela is definitely not Jordan's usual type, but he still notices her. And yes, he have kept whatever semblance of a relationship they did have a secret, but they still had it. If Jordan didn't care at all, why bother to meet Angela in the boiler room so often? Why outright ask her to come there? As much as he doesn't want to, as bad as he is at communicating it, he likes her. The entire problem is that he doesn't realize how much until he screws it up. He still hangs out with her after their pseudo-breakup, still wants be around her, but maybe is ashamed of it--hence the thorough murder of the mood whenever someone else shows up.

Gah. It's been too long. I'll finish this novel after a marathon...
"Wait, so what's fat-free?"
"When something's, like, free. Of fat."
"Well, what's the difference between fat free, and like, nonfat?"

ltomsett
Tino

Post by ltomsett » Jul 14th 2007, 3:38 am

Just noticed that you have recently joined and that your name is a beautiful lie. Does this mean that you like 30 seconds to mars?

I was browsing around on the internet only a few weeks ago just to have a look what Jared looks like now and I didn't realise he was in a band. I listened to a few songs on you tube and his website and it's pretty fantastic, actually. Very tempted to see them in a few months in london.

:D

I think Jordan's match would of been Rainey but he too was going through a change in his life and I honestly believe that Angela and Jordan could make a go of it and everytime I see that last clip. I do feel sorry for Brian but I want to believe she chose Jordan. I need to Believe.

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Post by stburr91 » Jul 14th 2007, 11:42 am

I've always found other fans thoughts on who Angela would end up with, fascinating.

It seems gender has much to do with it. It seems many female fans are in love with Jordan, or at least have a crush on him.

I believe many of the female fans project their own feelings for Jordan, onto Angela.

Sure Angela had real feelings for Jordan, but she also got tired of him at times. She was never more interested in him, than when she thought he opened to her with the letter. But the letter was not who Jordan was, he could never open himself up like that. We see that was what Angela wanted, was a person who would open up to her, and when she learned that it wasn't Jordan, but Brian that opened up to her, it changed everything. Now I'm not saying that Angela instantly fell in love with Brian, but she developed some feelings for him.

I can't understand how some fans can say that Angela didn't have feelings for Brian. In the last scene, it's in Angela's eyes. I mean, just look at the eye contact she makes with him, there's something there, and it's more than just a feeling of friendship.

I really like how some fans are so emotionally invested in who Angela would end up with.
I would rather just let Angela decide who she wants to be with. It's cool that the fans connect with the characters so much. As long as the storyline was good, I wouldn't care who Angela would have ended up with.

Stburr91
What's amazing is when you can feel your life going somewhere. Like your life just figured out how to get good. Like, that second."

annette
Liberty High Student

Post by annette » Jul 14th 2007, 5:42 pm

ltomsett wrote:Just noticed that you have recently joined and that your name is a beautiful lie. Does this mean that you like 30 seconds to mars?

I was browsing around on the internet only a few weeks ago just to have a look what Jared looks like now and I didn't realise he was in a band. I listened to a few songs on you tube and his website and it's pretty fantastic, actually. Very tempted to see them in a few months in london.

if i was you i'd definatly go to see them in london, they were incredible live when i saw them at the carling academy in birmingham when they were here in the uk earlier this year

ikilledkennyandjr
Three Rivers Resident

Post by ikilledkennyandjr » Jul 14th 2007, 8:39 pm

stburr91 wrote: I can't understand how some fans can say that Angela didn't have feelings for Brian. In the last scene, it's in Angela's eyes. I mean, just look at the eye contact she makes with him, there's something there, and it's more than just a feeling of friendship.
I agree with this post so much. You can really tell from that scene that she feels something she's never consciously thought of before.

Obviously Angela had genuine feelings for Jordan and vice versa, but by the end of the series, they still had yet to communicate as intimately and freely as Brian and Angela. I don't think her and Catalano would have lasted long because they couldn't communicate very well beyond the physical. They were too tense around each other. Sure they had their moments, like in Why Jordan Can't Read, but even then he never explained to her why he didn't meet her parents, or even apologized.

Conversely in that episode, Angela said a line to Brian that fit him very well: "You think you understand, but you don't! You just analyze everything until it barely even exists." Ironically, that line also fits her to a tee. They have somewhat of the same thinking style. Because of that, they "read" each other (as pointed out in Angela's World) and really get under each other's skin.

I'm not saying Jordan is a bad guy, or that he doesn't truly like Angela. It's very evident from the last episode that he does. I just think Brian is a better match for her (eventually) because he knows her, he understands her and she understands him. She confides in him. Now how long it would take her to realize this is anyone's guess, but I think it's already dawning on her in the very last scene. Another irony is that Jordan comes to take her for a drive and suddenly she has her dream guy again, but she doesn't look too happy about it. Neither Jordan nor Brian are who she thought they were.

Anyway, just my two cents on the subject. Sorry if it's too long or off-topic...
"You know, the karma in this house is like ridiculous. It's really low... or dark... whatever it is that happens to karma."

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Post by stburr91 » Jul 15th 2007, 1:29 pm

ikilledkennyandjr wrote:
stburr91 wrote: I can't understand how some fans can say that Angela didn't have feelings for Brian. In the last scene, it's in Angela's eyes. I mean, just look at the eye contact she makes with him, there's something there, and it's more than just a feeling of friendship.
I agree with this post so much. You can really tell from that scene that she feels something she's never consciously thought of before.

Obviously Angela had genuine feelings for Jordan and vice versa, but by the end of the series, they still had yet to communicate as intimately and freely as Brian and Angela. I don't think her and Catalano would have lasted long because they couldn't communicate very well beyond the physical. They were too tense around each other. Sure they had their moments, like in Why Jordan Can't Read, but even then he never explained to her why he didn't meet her parents, or even apologized.

Conversely in that episode, Angela said a line to Brian that fit him very well: "You think you understand, but you don't! You just analyze everything until it barely even exists." Ironically, that line also fits her to a tee. They have somewhat of the same thinking style. Because of that, they "read" each other (as pointed out in Angela's World) and really get under each other's skin.

I'm not saying Jordan is a bad guy, or that he doesn't truly like Angela. It's very evident from the last episode that he does. I just think Brian is a better match for her (eventually) because he knows her, he understands her and she understands him. She confides in him. Now how long it would take her to realize this is anyone's guess, but I think it's already dawning on her in the very last scene. Another irony is that Jordan comes to take her for a drive and suddenly she has her dream guy again, but she doesn't look too happy about it. Neither Jordan nor Brian are who she thought they were.

Anyway, just my two cents on the subject. Sorry if it's too long or off-topic...
Wow, great post, it was a very insightful analysis of the characters. I agree with your thoughts on Angela, Jordan and Brian.

PS. What's with your username? Do you mean Kenny from South Park, and Jr from Dallas?

Steve
What's amazing is when you can feel your life going somewhere. Like your life just figured out how to get good. Like, that second."

beachluvr
Tino

Post by beachluvr » Jul 16th 2007, 9:40 am

my 1st post...just found this forum & man I could spend waay too much time here, lol!

so much to comment on, where do I begin? I have to say first of all that I absolutely think Jordan and Angela had a relationship...lots of people have already given some good examples of why, but I'll add some more

the most important reason I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet is several instances that aren't explicitly shown, but implied...like Jordan telling Angela to scalp her Dead tickets...he didn't just convince her to do it...he did it for her...she probably went w/him & there was an entire exchange the audience didn't get to see...we just know she got $120 for them...in addition, he knew the combination to her locker, which again implies several instances we never saw, but had to understand occurred

this happens a lot on TV shows where there's not enough time to show every single interaction, but certain devices imply things have happened...what they did choose to explicitly show us & tell us is that they both were interested in each other...did they both project certain interpretations of events that may or may not have been what actually happened or that the other person would agree happened? sure, but there's no question they both were interested in each other & even went so far as to let their friends know they were interested in each other...for high school, that constitutes a relationship, even if it was in its infancy stages

as you guys can tell, I have lots of thoughts on the subject, but I'll give it a rest now...so much more to go read anyway, I'm like a kid in a candy store :P :lol:

beachluvr
Tino

Post by beachluvr » Jul 16th 2007, 9:52 am

oops, one more thought, lol!

about Brian and Angela...I agree that in the final eppy, you can tell she sees him in a new way, a way she never had considered before...but I still think it was just her realization that he actually was infatuated with her that surprised her so much...their relationship had been so antagonistic for so long, I just think Angela was blown away by the idea that Brian might have actually been in love with her

but I don't think she would have been able to return those feelings...this is such complete opinion, I have no way to prove it...I only know that she left with Jordan...the fact that Brian would make better boyfriend material is precisely one reason he didn't appeal to Angela...she wanted something that was different from the usual, safe choices she had been making (Rayanne & Rickie vs Sharon & Brian)

to me, it's kinda like sex...once you've had the kinky, wild, passionate ride, the dependable old missionary style just doesn't hold as much thrill as it once did :wink:

and if someone feels I'm just projecting my attraction to the Jordan char onto Angela, I can only say I'm doing what the show told *me* that Angela was doing...obsessing, pining, longing, wanting Jordan for herself, no matter what

ikilledkennyandjr
Three Rivers Resident

Post by ikilledkennyandjr » Jul 16th 2007, 2:30 pm

stburr91 wrote:PS. What's with your username? Do you mean Kenny from South Park, and Jr from Dallas?
Yes indeedy. South Park = one of the best shows ever, and Dallas = the best soap opera of all time. :wink:

Beachluvr, I see where you're coming from and somewhat agree with you. However, I think Angela's "wild side" is more pronounced in the earlier episodes. In IDBR, conversely, her best friend is Sharon, not Rayanne, and she cuddles with her mother and sister on the couch. I think she's definitely matured since the Pilot. And do you not think Brian Krakow has a wild streak? It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for. :lol:

That is not to say Jordan and Angela would make a completely awful couple. I like them together and there were moments I was totally cheering them on. Like the hug in Strangers In The House. Although, even in that scene, Angela didn't voice her true feelings. She did in Halloween, though, and got through to him.

And scalping the Dead tix... I don't think she went with him. She probably gave him the tickets and, later on, he gave her the rest of the money like a gentleman. :D That's just my opinion, though.
"You know, the karma in this house is like ridiculous. It's really low... or dark... whatever it is that happens to karma."

ltomsett
Tino

Post by ltomsett » Jul 17th 2007, 5:22 pm

[quote="stburr91"]I've always found other fans thoughts on who Angela would end up with, fascinating.

It seems gender has much to do with it. It seems many female fans are in love with Jordan, or at least have a crush on him.

I believe many of the female fans project their own feelings for Jordan, onto Angela.

:D
I think this is absolutely right. Hubby treated me to the dvd box set a few months ago and I was constantly asking him his views on it all. As it approached the end he said that she would and should choose, Brian.

I love a happy ending, thats all. The weird thing is the way the final episode ended and we are all to make of it as we will. I am afraid to make the wrong choice. I choose to search this forum and go with majority of the views albeit I may disagree. Weird.

Beachluvr: Totally agree that this forum is like a candy store

ltomsett
Tino

Post by ltomsett » Jul 17th 2007, 5:26 pm

:wink:

Anyone up for a marathon? I need another session.