Angela's "relationship" with Jordan

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Jan 11th 2003, 12:25 am

Hmmm.
Some very interesting takes on the whole business here.

I'm not sure where to come down on this because it's been a while.
Yes, it's true, even though i received my disk set in Nov., i've only watched a few. Image Next up is The Life of Brian.

But in general i've always thought the relationship was pretty much imaginary on her part, and at it's peak, something new (here was a girl with substance -- she'd even persuaded him to take school a little more seriously) for Jordan but something he was in no state to handle, thus the liaison (sp?) with Rayanne, the break-up...

But as someone suggested, once it was over, it began to become more real. A friendship of sorts. But we've seen from different happenings; during Rayanne's overdose, Angela's distance from Sharon and their "reunion", the way she treats brian, and a few dozen others; Angela isn't nearly as experienced or mature as she's always indicating to Brian. Lot's of candygirl's "projection" going on. Even though she says things to Rayanne and Ricky and to herself in voiceovers about not knowing anything about relationships, blah blah, she still clings to some of her fantasy about the depth of the relationship and/or it's potential.

Hence, she and Jordan hang out until the last, and right through "Resolutions" she continues to do his homework. With how little he talks, what would take up their time if she didn't. How would she hold onto him?

Lurking behind all this is the fact that Jordon is Angela's first boyfriend, but Jordan has at least, presumably, 'dealt with' a fair number of girls. He was held back 3 times, afterall.

On a slightly off topic note, i still maintain that even if Brian is more realistic about things, the chances for Angela and Brian are about a million to 1.

Of course, as an outer fringe character, what the heck do i know about this stuff? Image
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

BloomGrl007
Frozen Embryo

Re: Angela's "relationship" with Jordan

Post by BloomGrl007 » Jul 30th 2004, 12:35 am

Exactely! There was no relationship whatsoever. Thats gotta be the weirdest relationship i've ever seen:) LOL They cant even communicate properly I dont see HOW they could think they were a couple. And Jordan, man, he's really spaced out and doesnt know anything:) He's still a hottie though.

*Ivy*

molkoshake wrote:I never really understood why she thought she had some sort of relationship with Jordan, and in the episode where he "ums" Rayanne and they are talking and he's all like sometimes I really think I know her...HOW??? I mean these two had the most inane and short conversations ever....

Just needed to say that...But yeah would everyone agree that they had NO relationship>????

Anyways...Me stop rambling
"I'm going to bed before either of you get us all killed, or worse, expelled". -Hermoine (HP1)

kandykiss19
Tino

Post by kandykiss19 » Jul 30th 2004, 2:42 am

I dont agree. They did have a good relationship in their own way. Shes so obsessed with this boy she turns the little things he says into big things and he obviously likes her too so he does the same. Like rembr when they are talking in the car and when Rayanne comes in and the whole mood is ruined? They do have a relationship.
Well, either sex or a conversation, ideally both.

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Whew. January to July!

Post by So-Called Loon » Aug 1st 2004, 4:42 am

It's not that they had no relationship. Any interaction is a relationship.

Jordan just didn't take it seriously until he screwed it up, then he realized: oops! She was something special. so he kept hanging around.

Meanwhile she was making this huge thing out of what was very superficial. :)

Hmm. Might be about time to break out the DVD's again. Been 7 months after all.
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

kandykiss19
Tino

ya

Post by kandykiss19 » Aug 11th 2004, 2:10 am

well exactly. thats what makes the show so real. the fact that they only had little interactions but in their minds it was this huuuge thing. I do that all the time wen i like a guy...like if he says hi to me in the hallway on a random day ill like have a heart attack and think hes totally into me. but really hes not...like i dunno how to explain it but its exactly what angela is doing...u no?

so like i can soooo see why she is so obsessed with him and thinks all teh things she does because i understand 8) thats soo cool, why is this show so real- its kinda scary..lol
Well, either sex or a conversation, ideally both.

ltomsett
Tino

Post by ltomsett » Jun 10th 2007, 3:04 am

:lol:

I watched MSCL and like the rest of us could totally relate to it. I was growing tired of my reliable, dependable friends and wanted to breakaway and see who I really was. Was completely loved up with a bad boy. Convinced I had a relationship with him although it was over before it even began. Although the relationship blossomed after. This is why I truly want to believe that she chose Jordan. I know what boys are like but he noticed her from the very first episode - when he called out her name when she got into the police car. He is intrigued by her. I think the relationship could work. I think I just want to believe it did. He obviously wants to be different to how he is and she has helped him to do that.

I dont think they had a full on relationship. However he took her hand in the hallway, for all to see. The great thing about this series was the music and the actions sometimes spoke louder than words. To have been in school and to have had him walk right up to you and take your hand would of been a big deal. He has admitted to himself that he wanted her. I know in the next ep. he is pressurising her but don't all boys? He knows she's not ready yet he has told her mum that he needs her (knowing this).

I found the series again on the web [link removed by moderator] and began to watch it. Very frustrating though as the last five ep's were shown out of sync. It has had the same impact on me as it did all them years ago. I'm gonna be thirty in Jan 2008!!!

I just keep analyzing everything. Angela wants to believe Jordan wrote the letter but how could he of done so without a little bit of help - he cant read!! I don't think there was anything there between Brian and her. I think she is flattered and has seen brian in a new light. She might also feel ashamed of the way she has taken advantage of him.
I want to believe and will believe that she got in the car with Jordan as she chose Jordan otherwise surely we would of had a confrontation with the three of them? Please I need closure.

I hate the ending. My husband had just brought me the box set and

Rainey's_Mischief
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Rainey's_Mischief » Jun 11th 2007, 3:37 am

Oh they had a relationship alright. Maybe not your typical bf/gf relationship for very long but they did have a relationship of sorts. I was disappointed that they really only showed one episode of them acutally together.

RM
Last edited by Rainey's_Mischief on Jun 13th 2007, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you."

ltomsett
Tino

Post by ltomsett » Jun 11th 2007, 10:38 am

Thanks for replying. I was a bit nervous coming on this site and I know it is just a TV programme at the end of the day but it's beginning to mess with my head like it did all them years ago. I am getting obsessed.

Your right. They def. had a relationship. I have read other peoples posts which seem to think they didn't. I WANT to believe she got in the car with Jordan through choice and that they will TALK it all through and have a crack at it. In every episode he has noticed her. And to admit to her mother he has feelings.

My husband bought me the box set last week and I am making him watch it for a males prospective. I am analyzing everything.
Just noticed they have removed the link from your last post. What was the episode?

Rainey's_Mischief
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Rainey's_Mischief » Jun 13th 2007, 2:24 am

It was a clip on youtube of the part where Jordan asks Angela if they can talk and they hold hands when they walk down the hall. I love that clip! I have no idea why it was taken down.
I'm glad you got the boxed set. I got it a few years ago before it went out of print and was so hard to find. I'm off tomorrow. That might be a good day for a marathon since my bf is working until 10pm! I haven't had a MSCL marathon in a while.
RM

ltomsett
Tino

Post by ltomsett » Jun 13th 2007, 11:36 am

I have made my husband watch them after the kids go to bed. I think we are averaging 3 a night. Tonight is "Self Esteem" where he holds her hand. Amazing. I watch that clip over and over on you tube. Been on there alot lately. My favourite clip at the minute is the one played to "A Beautiful Lie".

It's so sad but we go up to bed after its finished and I make him analyze it before he goes to sleep. I need closure. I know Brian loves her but he was happy to settle for Delia. He is always checking out Rayanne and we will never know what they did when they were locked in school together and there were sparks there between him and Sharon. I can see where Jordan wants to change but he doesn't feel he can but without realising Angela has helped him but he doesn't really fall for her until towards the end. I don't think it is too late for them just because Brian wrote the letter as he does try when he tells her "I have all these dreams when I know what to say - and you forgive me". I think I need counselling.

Thanks for listening!!

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Post by stburr91 » Jun 13th 2007, 6:01 pm

ltomsett wrote:I have made my husband watch them after the kids go to bed. I think we are averaging 3 a night. Tonight is "Self Esteem" where he holds her hand. Amazing. I watch that clip over and over on you tube. Been on there alot lately. My favourite clip at the minute is the one played to "A Beautiful Lie".

It's so sad but we go up to bed after its finished and I make him analyze it before he goes to sleep. I need closure. I know Brian loves her but he was happy to settle for Delia. He is always checking out Rayanne and we will never know what they did when they were locked in school together and there were sparks there between him and Sharon. I can see where Jordan wants to change but he doesn't feel he can but without realising Angela has helped him but he doesn't really fall for her until towards the end. I don't think it is too late for them just because Brian wrote the letter as he does try when he tells her "I have all these dreams when I know what to say - and you forgive me". I think I need counselling.

Thanks for listening!!

Well, I can tell you from this male's prospective, I don't think Angela and Jordan were a good match for each other. I could write a paragraph or two on why I think that, but I don't have the time. I'll just say, I think they would both quickly get bord of one another. I don't see any thing there that would make that relationship last longer than a month.

Anyway, let us know what your husband thinks of the show, and who he thinks Angela should be with in the end.
What's amazing is when you can feel your life going somewhere. Like your life just figured out how to get good. Like, that second."

Rainey's_Mischief
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Rainey's_Mischief » Jul 10th 2007, 1:35 am

I liked the match but I can't say it was realistic. Judging by my high school experience, which was in the 80's, I would think Jordan would be with someone more like Rainey. Not that I think Jordan and Rainey would have made a good match but she seems more his type.
RM

ltomsett
Tino

Post by ltomsett » Jul 10th 2007, 6:33 pm

I think they has a relationship or were def. doing to have a relationship. I don't think it really got started until it finished. If you know what I mean. I think he wanted to be something different and she was good for him, at the right time. I also think that no matter how bad a boy they always seem to end up with a good girl (from past experiences, and all that!).

I need to watch it again but that would make it my third time round in just over two months. Should I?

I keep missing things and over analysing everything but that is my character anyway and that is why I can totally relate to Angela.

ltomsett
Tino

Post by ltomsett » Jul 10th 2007, 6:34 pm

Just read my last post. Should have really read for typo's. Or steered well clear of my third glass of red wine. My last post makes me look totally dyslexic. No offence.

ltomsett
Tino

Post by ltomsett » Jul 10th 2007, 6:35 pm

Anyone up for a marathon.