Lost

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Oct 24th 2005, 10:40 am

Sascha (sab) wrote:
Kristin wrote:By the way, I was watching my first season DVDs, and I'm getting more and more convinced that Walt has some sort of third eye power that he's maybe not even aware of. In the third episode (tabula rasa), Michael is telling Walt he'll find Vincent (walt's dog) as soon as it stops raining. While he says this, Walt casts a glance out of their makeshift tent and it immediately stops raining. Crazy!
Yeah, that's one of my theories too. That's probably why "The Others" wanted him. Before the plane crashed, he was reading a comic featuring a polar bear ... and a polar bear appeared in a later episode on the island. That boy is special.

I wish I could let go of "Lost", but I'm hooked all over again. I was hugely disappointed by the season finale and the season two premiere created even more questions than it answered. But they increased the speed of the storytelling and this whole new "Dharma" concept is just so weird -- I just have to know what's behind all this. Darn. I guess it would be best to wait and watch the entire season next year on DVD cause the cliffhangers are killing me. But I just can't resist. And 42 minutes later, I'm even more confused than before ... ;-). I even thought about buying that "Third Policeman" book which was featured in a quick scene in last week's episode.

Ah, well. At least I managed to drop "The O.C." and "Everwood" for good from my "Guilty Pleasures" TV Watch List after the season premieres. But now I caught myself watching the new "Charmed" season. Well, boobs. What other reason does a man need to watch TV? ;-)
I am still hooked on this show! I love the new concept of the hatch and all the 'Dharma' connections to the island. I can't wait to see what will happen! The show has taken a turn with this season that I never would have imagined. I love it!

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Nov 4th 2005, 5:12 pm

Lost has been one of the best shows ever. I love everything about it! I like having a new mystery to ponder about every week. I just hate the 3 week wait... But the new episodes have all been good and the ones to come are looking even better...

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Jan 23rd 2006, 11:36 pm

I like the addition of the tail section survivors. Though admittedly the already large cast can be annoying as it slows the story down. I'm curious about Libby.
The ABC Lost profile for Libby's protrayer Cynthia Watros seems peculiar to me. In discussing her previous roles they make a point of saying that she played characters who appeared sweet and good but take a darker turn. I looked through some of the other cast bios and in the other ones they didn't discuss the actors previous characters nearly as much. It could be nothing, I definatley am way to preoccupied with Lost's mysteries. I suspect that there will be a mislead where they make it appear that Libby is revealed as a villain but it will be more complicated than that. I also have a baseless suspicion that she knew about the Dharma initiative before coming to the island.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 24th 2006, 12:02 am

Wow, grim, you've really been thinking about it! And all this time I've just wanted Libby to hook up with Hurley.

I'm still very hooked on this show too. Although, I am not as satisfied with the plot lines as I was last season still. Maybe I'm a wimp, but now that things are getting more and more dangerous and main characters keep getting killed off... I get real squirmy watching it. All I have to say is they BETTER NOT kill of Sawyer. I don't think I could forgive JJ Abrams if they did that...

:wink:

As for the last episode - I thought it was rather predictable... at least with Jack's flashbacks. Anyone else?
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Jan 24th 2006, 2:17 am

I agree the last episode wasn't the best. I don't care much for Jack so a Jack centered episode doesn't appeal to me but aside from that not much happened. I didn't feel like the flashbacks gave us any new significant knowledge about Jack. Perhaps it will become more significant later.
The encounter with Zeke and his group was interesting, not very eventful but it did give a different look at the others. Kate being told not to go, then following and getting used as leverege was trite and annoying.
Jack wanting to train an army will almost definately be the focus in the coming episodes but I'll have to see how it starts to play out before I know how I feel about that.

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Jan 24th 2006, 1:20 pm

As I said before Lost is a great show, Probably my favorite on the air right now. The stories are interesting and there is always so much mystery!

This last episode I thought was very good. Although the Jack back story wasnt exactly what I thought it would be, the big mystery I think is WHO she cheated on Jack with.... Could it be Desmond or maybe even one of the other Losties!? There is more to be known!

The part where they met up with the others was amazing, I got the chills when all the lights lit up in the jungle, and also realizing that Alex ( Most likely Danielles son/daughter ) is with the Others!

And I always like seeing alot of Kate and sawyer! It was a great episode as most of them have been! And I look forward to finding out more about the Island and that monster/ Scanner thing!

* Also very interesting theory about Libby, I havent thought about that before now*

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 12th 2006, 12:24 am

I know this topic has died down quite a bit since the last season ended of course, but now that we are two weeks into Season 3 I wanted to add a few thoughts....

I haven't been overtly surprised by anything in the first two episodes of Season 3. Of course, there is still plenty of time and even though it feels like it's really slow-moving, quite a lot happens between the first episode and the last episode of LOST seasons.

I guest I'm not too excited so far - not because of the episodes and storylines, necessarily, but because of my viewing experience. I've always gone to this one friend's house to watch LOST, every Wednesday, and lately it has changed a lot. More people come too (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), but they don't take it as seriously as I do. One person in particular is a smartass, makes fun during the episode, and thinks he knows everything that's going on in the show and ruins the fun of experiencing it as it happens. The thing that bugs me the most is since he thinks he knows what is happening in the show, he says that it's boring and predictible, yet continues to watch it. Well, I think I may have to remove myself from the situation and watch at home from now on. I'm really into LOST and I have left my friend's house the last two weeks disappointed with my experience and generally feeling in a bit of a sour mood. I want to have a civilized and serious discussion about the episode instead of getting teased, getting my theories shot down, and being told "it's a boring show, I knew that was going to happen." What a faker! [/rant]

Well. Anyone else have any thoughts on the first two S.3 episodes?
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 12th 2006, 4:18 am

I watched the recap/clip show a few weeks ago and decided to give Lost another try. I figured that since there was nothing else I wanted to watch during that timeslot (at least for now), I might as well see what was going on because I did used to enjoy the show during the first half of the first season. Sometimes shows lose their focus but get it back later (24 and The Shield come to mind), so I thought maybe I could get sucked in again.

The first few episodes quickly reminded me why I stopped watching the show - no matter what actually happens on the show, by the time the episode is over I feel like nothing really happened, which frustrates me. I'll stick to reading the TWoP recaps, which is more efficient and entertaining.

I totally understand not wanting to watch with people who don't take it as seriously though. No matter what the show, it's annoying when you are trying to listen and pay attention. It's even worse if you are trying to pick up on clues. Besides, it's just plain sucky when you are watching a show you like and someone ruins the experience by complaining about it and talking about how much they don't like it. Based on that one obnoxious person, I would start watching it at home. Maybe you can invite a few of the people who are more hardcore about the show to come over. You know, people who understand that talking and mocking are only okay during the commercials.

:lol:

Sometimes my friends/sisters and I call each other during the commercial breaks of our favorite shows to say, "OMG!" but as soon as the show comes back on we say, "Okay bye!"
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Post by stburr91 » Oct 12th 2006, 12:12 pm

I feel the same way about the show, at the end of it, you feel like nothing happened. I seriously doubt even the writers know where the plot is going.

Like, Ana Lucia last season, why show us all of that stuff about her life, to just kill her off? If she is coming back, and her past becomes important to the plot, well that's okay, but if not, they where just wasting our time with all of that.

I just read the previous page, and I saw the "Well boobs" line. That's just too funny.

Steve

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 12th 2006, 5:05 pm

Yeah, one episode at a time is frustratingly slow. I enjoyed the second season much more when I was able to watch it on DVD - several hours in a row actually leads somewhere! (yes I know I'm a huge dork/loser.)

I heard a few things the writers will reveal in S.3: [spoiler]how Locke ended up in a wheelchair, the connection between Claire/Jack/Christian (jack's dad), whom Kate will choose- Jack or Sawyer. The "monster" is going to be reintroduced. Libby is supposed to show up quite a bit despite being dead, too, like in flashbacks. There was a lot of questions about her when she was killed, too. [/spoiler]

Kate choosing Jack or Sawyer: I think she should choose Jack. If she chooses Sawyer, I feel like that ends their stories - they are too similar in background and there is no one else to create another love-triangle, like there could be if Kate chooses Jack. (Besides, I still love Sawyer and want him to myself. Nyah.)

I would LOVE to learn more about Danielle Rousseau. We have learned only a few things: she's been there 16 years, her baby was kidnapped, and she killed her team. That's pretty much it. I would love to see a flashback to when Danielle crashed her boat on the island, their time there, her team getting sick... how did Montonde loose his arm?!?!?

Anyway, I think LOST is becoming a show that the viewers (fans or not) are going to hate what the writers do no matter what. It's too bad, because people should remember it's just a show. While it's great and fun to find clues and figure out the mysteries, ultimately it's supposed to be entertaining. If you are not entertained, why still watch? (Having to know what happens next/being hooked is not an excuse or reason.) Know what I mean?

~~Kristin~~

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 12th 2006, 6:48 pm

I agree -- this show is much more satisfying when you watch a whole bunch of episodes at once. Well, I feel like I'm spoiled by DVDs now, and that I'm less willing to wait a week between episodes now, especially for half hour shows like Weeds, but I think it's especially true for shows like LOST where at the end of the episode you do sometimes feel like not that much has happened, and I'm always left thinking "Yeah, but what about such and such storyline?" I'm just glad we didn't have to go through the BS of last year's premier having to watch the whole episode again from different camera angles (after that crazy finale for S1 I wanted some answers!). I'm a little wary of the show being dragged on for too long and that I'll just get fed up. This is the only show I wish I had an end date for so I can gauge my anticipation for resolutions. (Does that make sense?)
I totally want to see more of Rousseau and I want some answers on Libby, seeing the "security system" (is that what they called it?) and some polar bears again would be good too. And even though Michael sometimes annoys me, I want to know what's happening with the boat.
Questions I want answered:
Why is Juliet sooo ANNOYING?
Why the same song in both S2 and S3 premiers?
What's with Libby being at the asylum?
Wasn't it Libby who answered the phone when (I'm blanking on the name, but the sailor guy) called home? What's with that?

Things I used to know but have forgotten:
Why were Sun and Jin going to the US? I remember that she was considering leaving, but I can't remember why he was going -- was it work for her dad? Following somebody? (But then why take her?) Or were they leaving her dad?
I had another one but I forgot it ...

Anyway, I'm enjoying this show, and am glad I got off the high horse I was on during first season when people here were talking about it, and actually watched it. My sister and I do that same thing Candygirl -- phone calls during commercial breaks: "OMG - WTF??" This last episode was pretty good for me because Syed and Sun are two of my favorite characters, and the kiss was a good scene too. I want to know more about the Dharma group, oh, and the book they were talking about in the S3 premier -- was it some particular book?
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 12th 2006, 9:45 pm

Anyway, I think LOST is becoming a show that the viewers (fans or not) are going to hate what the writers do no matter what. It's too bad, because people should remember it's just a show. While it's great and fun to find clues and figure out the mysteries, ultimately it's supposed to be entertaining. If you are not entertained, why still watch? (Having to know what happens next/being hooked is not an excuse or reason.) Know what I mean?
I agree, but I think the writers have painted themselves into a corner over the last year or so and that is why it's going to be next to impossible for them to please their viewers. I think it's possible for them to get back on track and stop making their audience angry, annoyed, frustrated, and bored. As I said before, other shows have done it so it's doable!

I agree that watching tv is supposed to be entertaining and that is why I quit watching Lost. It wasn't entertaining or fun anymore. It was turning into an hour that I wasted because I got nothing positive out of it past a certain point. I wasn't entertained, I wasn't intrigued, I wasn't trying to figure out how everyone was connected. I was bored! I tend to be pretty loyal to tv shows though, so I kept watching, thinking it would get back on track and be as good as it used to be. For me, that didn't happen so I gave it up. It's probably a good thing though - I feel like the older I get, the more tv I watch!

I'm not trying to go overboard bashing Lost though. It just doesn't interest me anymore. I know not everyone likes the shows I watch either, so chacun a son gout!

:mrgreen:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 12th 2006, 11:30 pm

Jody Barsch* wrote:This is the only show I wish I had an end date for so I can gauge my anticipation for resolutions. (Does that make sense?)
Yes, I know how you feel. It's like it would be easier to watch if I knew how many total seasons there will be. (my guess is 6, btw)
... and some polar bears again would be good too.
I think that the Others freed the polars bears - but why? They must have been done "experimenting" on them. Now are they experimenting on Kate and Sawyer? Is it a test for Kate and Sawyer? Remember Walt told Michael for that brief moment in the hut with Ms. Kleough (whom we haven't seen yet) that the Others made him take tests.
And even though Michael sometimes annoys me, I want to know what's happening with the boat.
I'm not sure we'll hear or see anything of Michael and Walt anymore. A friend told me he heard/read somewhere that Harld Perrineau's (Michael) contract wasn't renewed by ABC... but that's through the grapevine so I don't know. It's very possible the Others set Michael up to steer the boat into a "trap" or something. Another test?
Questions I want answered:
Why is Juliet sooo ANNOYING?
Yeah, what is UP with Juliet? She bugs the heck outta me. Her lips are weird. Oops, that was mean. Oh well, I don't care. I think she wants to hook up with Jack to spite Ben/Henry (because obviously they had a deeper relationship and broke up or something)
Why the same song in both S2 and S3 premiers?
It was not the same song. In 2.1, we have Mama Cass Elliot's "Make Your Own Kind of Music" and in 3.1 it's "Downtown" by Petula Clark. Same genre, same decade, though. If I hadn't watched my S.2 DVDs right before the S.3 premiere I would have thought they were the same song.
What's with Libby being at the asylum?
What's with Libby choosing god awful dye colors for her hair (until the blonde at least)? Maybe she has a split personality? Chronologically, Libby was at the asylum at least up to one year before the plane crash (mouse brown hair). In the time between being in the asylum and the crash, Libby dyed her hair orange-red, her husband (David) died, and she met Desmond. Then she dyed her hair blonde and was in the crash=island. Why was Libby in Australia? Was she following Hurley? Because in S.2's Hurley flashback ("Dave" episode), Libby skirts the issue when Hurley asks if he knows her from somewhere. Speaking of which, her husband's name is David and Hurley's imaginary friend is Dave. Did Libby have an imaginary husband? Weird. Connected? Don't know.
Wasn't it Libby who answered the phone when (I'm blanking on the name, but the sailor guy) called home? What's with that?
Desmond is his name, from Scotland. I don't remember Desmond calling home ever... but in the last episode of S.3, when the (Portuguese? Russian?) guys called a woman saying they may have found another magnetic anomoly it was not Libby: it was Desmond's ex-girlfriend Penny, who has been spending lots of money to locate him for the past three years. I would love to see how Desmond ended up in the military prison (where he wrote Penny tons of letters, but her father never delivered them, so Penny thought she was abandoned by Desmond), and what makes Desmond and Penny's love so strong that she would search for him like this for years.
Things I used to know but have forgotten:
Why were Sun and Jin going to the US?
Sun was accompanying Jin on a business trip. He was delivering watches to her father's business associates in Sydney and Los Angeles. Jin secretly planned to run away and stay in the US when they arrived in LA to get away from her father's grisly business, while Sun was secretly planning on leaving her marriage to Jin in Sydney, since it had gone so sour.
This last episode was pretty good for me because Syed and Sun are two of my favorite characters, and the kiss was a good scene too. I want to know more about the Dharma group, oh, and the book they were talking about in the S3 premier -- was it some particular book?
Oh MAN that kiss was HOT. But of course it was... it was Sawyer! Mmmmm. I sort of think Kate's kiss with Jack at the end of S.2 was more passionate, however, since she wasn't bribed into it: she felt it, wanted it, and went for it.

The book at the Others book club was a Stephen King book... couldn't catch the title, though. I thought the book club's conversation was sort of a joke the show's writers were making - about mysteries and predictability, etc. It translated to the writing of the show, too sort of. I'm sorry, I can't remember exactly what they said.

Why would the Others stay on the island if they have the means to leave? How would they have been born there, if it is true they lived their whole lives on the island? They seem a little old to be offspring of the original Dharma Initiative people (the DeGroots). Dharma started in the late 70s, so offspring of the original people would be in their mid-late twenties, not thirties and forties like the Others we've met (Ethan, Goodwin, Juliet, Ben, Tom, Ms. Kleough). Only Alex (Danielle's daughter) looks under 25 to me.

I want to know why they abduct people - especially kids. Kate and Sawyer must be "good" people, since those are the only people the Others seem to want. I hope this season gets better, because I do enjoy the show and I know I'm not any sort of fiction writer, so I feel like I can't complain that I could do better. (PS - sorry about my spelling tonight!)

~~Kristin~~

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 12th 2006, 11:37 pm

It's becoming more fun to talk about the episodes after than watch them.

~~Kristin~~

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 19th 2006, 8:08 pm

The polar bear is Back!!!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !