Halloween

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 8th 2006, 4:22 pm

All right, I figured out what my costume will be this year: A Deviled Egg. I'm going to dress in all white, tape/pin a yellow paper circle to my belly, wear red shoes and red devil horns. Voila! Deviled egg. Love it.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 8th 2006, 6:41 pm

That's totally funny Emmie, and clever too! Maybe you should make a white oval cardboard sandwich board to emphasize the egg part. What made you think of a deviled egg?

I think I’ve decided on my costume too, or at least narrowed it down to two ideas. One possibility is to dress as Gloria Steinem (circa the 1970's). I was shopping for vintage clothes today and I came across a great dress, and I already have brown leather knee boots my grandmother wore in the '70s, and earlier this year I bought an awesome fitted calf-length suede coat for $10.00 at the Goodwill. I'm not the looker Gloria is, but it will be a really cool outfit. I’m sure I already have glasses like hers too. The other option is something a work friend of mine and I have been playing around with. A lot of the kids at school like to think that we're dating/in love, so we thought it might be funny to come to work as a bride and groom and go by each other's last names for the day. We'd dress in clothes from the 60's/70's so it would be more like a costume, but we're still not sure if it would create too much of an up stir. We don’t want to start something that won’t die down.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Oct 8th 2006, 10:59 pm

you're totally right, Candygirl, about getting to dress up and wear lots of makeup. it's especially fun when you're single. ;)

I was thinking of being Betty Boop this year. I have really long hair, so it would be fun to wear a short wig. and then wearing all black makeup as if I was in 'black and white' like the original Boop cartons. but then again, I might just look like another girl trying to skank it up! LOL! if I go that way, I'll have to do something to make it distinctive.

I love all the other ideas people have come up with! eve and an egg sound like fun!

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 8th 2006, 11:20 pm

Here's how I thought of the Deviled Egg: I wanted something simple, and I got some super cute red heels recently that I want to wear. But I don't have enough red clothes to make a full-devil costume work. So I looked around on the internet for ideas, but I would have had to buy a bunch of stuff for a costume with red shoes (Dorothy, Firewoman, Devil, etc). I saw a Fried Egg costume: white clothes with a yellow circle on the belly. I loved it so much but still wanted to wear the shoes, so I thought of the Deviled Egg! All I need to buy is a cheap devil horns-headband. Awesome!

By the way - I loved the EVE outfit you talked about, Jody. I bet that looked super sexy. And the idea about the bride and groom - I think it would be funnier if you taught college maybe. High school kids would never let it go! Maybe you could be brother and sister characters, like Gwyneth Paltrow and Ben Stiller from "Royal Tennenbaums" or something. That would be cool! If you two teach English, you could go as Harper Lee and Truman Capote (just friends!).

The whole "girls look trashy" on Halloween thing reminds me of the Halloween party scene in "Mean Girls" - it's our one excuse all year to dress like a ho and get away with it. Haha!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 9th 2006, 2:25 am

I was shopping for vintage clothes today and I came across a great dress
I LOVE when finding one thing is the genesis for a great costume. I wasn't thinking about being a pimp for Halloween until I stumbled across a cheap floor length leopard print coat for $20. I can never resist a bargain like that! I ended up building the entire outfit around the coat because it was such a find. Ahh, the fabulously tacky!

The deviled egg costume sounds SO cute - what a great idea! Resist the urge to buy the cheap devil headband/tail set at costume unless you have a really small head. I couldn't find my last two sets of devil horns so when I saw another set at Target for really cheap (maybe $2?) I figured why not? Then I got home and tried it on. The headband is too small for my huge noggin, plus the headband itself is covered in fur. Cute in theory, but I prefer to only have the horns showing (as a connoisseur of many devil horns, I have high standards). The furry covering also makes the headband slide easily against my hair so between that and the fact that it was to small, I knew it wouldn't stay on my head very long. The best devil horns I bought had a very thin headband and sequined horns. I wish I still had them!

I can't imagine all the other possibilities that people might guess your Betty Boop costume is. A Goth, a dead person, a slutty Goth dead person. What I always find interesting about Halloween is what people dress up as and how other people interpret the costumes. Sometimes people's costumes are too non-descript (like the time Mr. CG wore a huge wig, Groucho Marx glasses with a nose and moustache attached, a loud Hawaiian shirt, and a gold medallion) and other times people are too drunk to figure out the obvious costumes. I love when people guess things that are totally out there.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, sometimes it's funny to hear people explain their costumes. One year, some coworkers and I went out for Halloween. My boss showed up in a kung fu outfit. He is Vietnamese, so we just thought he was dressed as a kung fu guy (even though he had no knowledge of martial arts). He later told us he was supposed to be Jim Brown.

:jumplaugh:

Jody, I'm trying to think of other platonic pairs you and your friend could dress up as for Halloween!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 9th 2006, 3:17 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:That's totally funny SanDeE*, and clever too! Maybe you should make a white oval cardboard sandwich board to emphasize the egg part. What made you think of a deviled egg?

I think I’ve decided on my costume too, or at least narrowed it down to two ideas. One possibility is to dress as Gloria Steinem (circa the 1970's). I was shopping for vintage clothes today and I came across a great dress, and I already have brown leather knee boots my grandmother wore in the '70s, and earlier this year I bought an awesome fitted calf-length suede coat for $10.00 at the Goodwill. I'm not the looker Gloria is, but it will be a really cool outfit. I’m sure I already have glasses like hers too. The other option is something a work friend of mine and I have been playing around with. A lot of the kids at school like to think that we're dating/in love, so we thought it might be funny to come to work as a bride and groom and go by each other's last names for the day. We'd dress in clothes from the 60's/70's so it would be more like a costume, but we're still not sure if it would create too much of an up stir. We don’t want to start something that won’t die down.
Sorry about that name slip-up Kristen!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 9th 2006, 8:45 am

No worries, Jody!

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 9th 2006, 1:58 pm

All you girls in your skanky costumes look the same to me too.

:mrgreen:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Nov 3rd 2006, 8:41 pm

so after all the obsession and preparation for a Betty Boop costume...I ended up going as my boyfriend. he was hanging at my house while I was trying to get costume together, but nothing seemed to work out. the wig was hideous, the dress wasn't right, the hose ripped, my fake eyelashes wouldn't stick, etc. I was getting very upset and frustrated with that stupid wig. and then my roommate made a joke that it looked like my boyfriend's hair. and the rest is history. I even painted a go-tee on my face. so sure, I didn't get to be all cute and whatever, but at least I scared some people! ha ha.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 3rd 2006, 8:56 pm

It's too bad your Betty Boop outfit didn't work out - it's so frustrating when the different parts of your costume don't work, especially at the last minute! One year I decided to go as a vampire and I bought these awesome teeth. I have an overbite, so the cheapie teeth that you just shove into your mouth don't fit well. I bought the individual teeth that you glue on, but I didn't try them on ahead of time. When I went to my friend's house before going downtown, I couldn't get the damn teeth to work so I ended up going without them. A vampire without teeth isn't really a vampire.

:wink:

Your boyfriend costume sounds cute though! One year two guys I know dressed up as their girlfriends. They didn't totally cross dress, but one had longer hair in the front so he put his hair up in a ponytail right on top of his head. Each of the guys wore his girlfriend's sorority sweatshirt. It was pretty funny.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Nov 7th 2006, 3:37 pm

My Bender costume never made it out of the closet. I forgot the Halloween was Tuesday night, and on Tuesday night I'm coaching hockey from 10:30-12. Consequently, I couldn't go out. But I'm hearing they are having another Halloween next year, so no worries.

So much for the Betty Boop costume, Emmie. Sounds like you had fun anyway so I suppose that's what really counts.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 7th 2006, 6:24 pm

Nothingman wrote:But I'm hearing they are having another Halloween next year, so no worries.
That's just an unsubstantiated rumor!

:wink:

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 7th 2006, 8:31 pm

I didn't do anything either. I bought some candy in case I had a trick-or-treater... but not one came to my door. I wasn't really expecting any (apartment building), but just in case! So I was a little sad on Halloween.

But... Tuesdays are a bad day for Halloween. I think they should make it the last Friday of October every year - kind of like how Thanksgiving is always the last Thursday of November. And my birthday should always be on a Saturday.

~~Kristin~~

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re: Halloween

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 5th 2007, 6:03 pm

Any good plans in the work? Some friends of mine at work are thinking about maybe doing a group costume this year, something like an 80's movie. There's been talk of Karate Kid (but it's kind of limiting for girl parts). Breakfast Club might be kind of fun. We were also kind of thinking of doing Wes Anderson characters. My friend has for years been wanting to get a group together to wear Dignan's yellow jumpsuit, and I'd like to be a Yankee Racer, but I don't know yet. Only 26 days left to decide!

PS, It's my first post on the new (what do you call it? System?) I'm finding it a little intimidating / visually confusing (my eyes keep looking for things that are no longer there, or that are now somewhere else) but I know A LOT of time and effort went into the switch, and that it is better for the site, and so I'm persevering. Hope everyone's well!
Last edited by Jody Barsch* on Oct 12th 2007, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Halloween

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 7th 2007, 5:37 pm

I haven't even STARTED thinking about a costume yet. I still can't believe that it's already October. A friend of mine is going as candy corn:

I know what you mean about adjusting to the new layout visually. It's a little disorienting when you think you know where something is and then you have to visually scan to find out where it is NOW. The funny thing is that I just joined a new forum that uses the old MSCL phpBB format so it's really exciting to know where everything is.