Halloween

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 1st 2004, 1:41 pm

Oh yeah, the best part of my costume was the ring I wore --- My mother's real mood ring from the late sixties/early seventies! How awesome is that?! :P
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Nov 1st 2004, 2:27 pm

You're smart - we spent so much money on our costumes.
Last edited by pgh kenny on Dec 10th 2005, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Nov 12th 2004, 7:31 pm

Jody Barsch* wrote:
candygirl wrote:My sister is in Santa Barbara as we speak!
I'm so jealous! I miss SB!
http://www.dailynexus.com/feature/2004/8182.html
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Oct 1st 2006, 10:02 am

Has anyone sorted out costumes for this year? I usually like to at least try to be scary but end up opting for humourous instead. This year I'm giving in early and me and my roommate plan to go as Dorothy and Sophia from Golden Girls. We may not be instantly recognized but I think our costumes will be great nonetheless. My roomate may have to help me out a bit with making a top worthy of Dorothy. With any luck she'll be back from toronto tomorrow with brand new cheap old lady wigs for us.

We love the Golden Girls. Originally my roommate wanted us to be Soap characers her being Jessica Tate and me as Benson but sadly I think I'm a better fit for Dorothy.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 1st 2006, 5:39 pm

Thank you for being a friend! Travelled down the road and back again!

Those sound like AWESOME costumes! I can't wait to see pictures.

I haven't started working on a Halloween costume per se, but I did just go to a costume party last night. My friends and I dressed as hula hooping go go dancers. It was really fun. We made some furry boots in different colors, which was our unifying theme and then we each came up with our own costume. Mine was lots of black fishnet. I didn't bring my camera (because it's broken, damn it!), but I know other people took pictures so I'll post one soon!

I had to start from scratch with this costume. Surprisingly, the thing that was hardest to find were fishnets. I know the last few pairs I bought were in the Halloween aisle at the grocery store for like a dollar. This year, I couldn't find them anywhere. I went to two different Longs and Albertsons and they had no fishnets in their Halloween sections. I also looked at Target, a shoe store, and a women's clothing store, but the only thing I found was a pair of Hanes fishnets with the built in underwear and control panel (ugh). I ended up finding two pairs at Ross. I only went there because it's right next to Albertsons. I didn't really expect to find anything but I thought I might as well check since I was there. I bought the last two pairs. They were right next to the pasties. Never underestimate the power of Ross!

ETA: I can't stop singing the Golden Girls theme! :hammer1:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Oct 1st 2006, 9:48 pm

I love Halloween, but I'm horrible with costumes. any ideas?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 1st 2006, 10:49 pm

It depends on how much effort you want to put into it and how original you want to be. I know some people hate having a store-bought costume or anything that has been done before. I, on the other hand, am lazy so I'm all for using what I have and doctoring it up with accessories. I wore my black cat, devil, and harem girl outfits in several different incarnations using the same basic pieces. One year I wore the black cat ears, tail, and collar with a black unitard (I was young and shameless!). Another time I wore it with a black top and jeans so it was less scandalous. Same thing with the devil horns, tail, and pitchfork. One year I wore it with a red dress and another time I wore a completely different outfit. Sometimes I like to go to costume shops or second hand stores to see if I can find anything interesting that I can work with. Anything specific you do or don't want to be?

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Oct 2nd 2006, 4:37 pm

I'm going to be traveling the weekend before halloween again this year so I'll miss the contests again. Last year I only went out on Halloween and I was Bender from Futurama. It turned out so well I've decided I'm just pulling it out of storage and doing it again. It's got the helmet that I made myself, a garbage can boddy, and ducting to cover the arms and legs. It's absolutely amazing what I could get away with in that costume. This year I'm thinking of making the door on the front functional and putting a few items in it. I'm thinking a bottle of whiskey, cigar, condoms, and a can of Slurm. Perhaps more will come to me later.

CG in fishnets, the only surprising thing about that is you didn't have any in house. :D

Grim as the Golden girls, I've got this image of Nathan Lane dressed up as a woman in the Birdcage in my head.

Emmie, good luck with your constume, and hope you found a coat.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 2nd 2006, 5:30 pm

Well, I did have a pair of red fishnets but for some reason I couldn't find any black ones in my stash. I considered wearing the red ones for contrast (the rest of my outfit was black) but I decided that I really needed black ones. I mean, HEY!

:mrgreen:

I have this soft spot for The Birdcage. Whenever it's on Bravo, I have to watch it, no matter how many times I've already seen it. And now I am picturing Nathan Lane and Bea Arthur singing together.

:lol:

Pictures of my costume (sadly, you can't really see my awesome fake eyelashes or the furry boots very well):
http://www.imagestation.com/8268639/3971479016
http://www.imagestation.com/8268639/3971477525
http://www.imagestation.com/8268639/3971477714

And if you want to talk about a costume where you can get away with anything (not really work safe!):
http://www.imagestation.com/8268639/3971481497
http://www.imagestation.com/8268639/3971481170

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 2nd 2006, 9:07 pm

Costumes have always been my thing -- I love piecing things together from vintage stores and what not, but I'm always stumped for what to wear to school. It has to be appropriate, something that's not going to make me look like a fool (I don't want to be Obi Won like Ms. Lerner) and something that the kiddies would get -- that's the hard one. Last year I dressed as myself back in highschool in the mid 90's, but I have no ideas for this year. My sister, who teaches kindergarten is dressing as Viola Swamp.

My favorite, well, most outrageous halloween costume in college was dressing as Eve from the book of Genesis. I sewed my halter and mini out of the leaves from silk flowers, had all this great body paint, flowers and leaves wound into my serioulsy curled hair, and transformed a little jack-o-latern trick-or treat conatainer (which was filled with condoms and carmel apple suckers) by covering it with more leaves and attaching a rubber snake to the handle. It was a great costume, which I might have been able to enjoy a little bit longer if I had paced myself a little bit better.

Great pictures Candygirl -- I love costume parties!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 3rd 2006, 2:20 am

Your Eve costume sounds awesome! It was always a bit of a challenge for me to find work appropriate costumes that were still fun and non-offensive. One year I wore my sister's cheerleading uniform and this girl who'd been a cheerleader at her high school got kind of snotty about it (and she went to a school with a pretty crappy squad, I might add, so she didn't have much room to be snotty), but once I did a russian (center split jump), she shut up.

:lol:

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 4th 2006, 1:45 pm

I never have any money for a costume. So I usually throw on some stuff I wouldn't normally wear together. I think this year if there is a party I might dress as an over-the-top redneck - like cut-off jean shorts, a bra and tube top, overkill on the makeup, teased hair or something. I don't know, I haven't really thought it through all the way yet.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 5th 2006, 7:10 pm

Hee, Joy from My Name Is Earl! I never thought I'd see the day when Jaime Pressly was nominated for an acting award, but she is so awesome on that show.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 5th 2006, 8:11 pm

Why does she always seem to play rednecks? (or at least in my limited TV watching, that's the only type of role I've seen her as...)

I'm not crazy about my original idea of redneck... a girl might just end up looking like a hooker. Of course, don't we all look like that on Halloween, no matter what we dress as? Hmm... might have to think more about this.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 5th 2006, 8:52 pm

Yeah, is is stereotyping or is that the only role she is good at?

You bring up an interesting point about girls in slutty costumes. I remember once I hit puberty, I always looked forward to Halloween as the one day a year I could skank it up without getting in trouble. No matter what the actual costume was, it was some form of wearing tons of makeup and a skimpy outfit. Awesome.

:mrgreen: