What movies are you looking forward to?

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jun 29th 2005, 6:26 pm

I'm also looking forward to War of the Worlds. It'll probably have to wait until next week for me, though. I'm pretty darn sick of Tom Cruise, but I remember listening to the musical on tape and reading about the original radio broadcast and how people really thought there was an alien attack. Crazy!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 30th 2005, 7:33 pm

I saw War of the Worlds today. (We were reading a teleplay of a Twilight Zone episode in summer school today, and everyone kept saying how alike they were, so I went to check it out.) I found it pretty entertaining, the end a little silly, but it was a good summer show. Okay, question time: [spoiler]From the point of view of the aliens -- why go through all the trouble of burrying these tripods, waiting a million years, and then attacking? If they had the means then, why not just take over the world then? Or was the point to wait until there was something entertaining to kill -- something that had the false ego that made them think they could put up a fight? I don't get it. But, it does make for a dramatic story twist![/spoiler]
While I was definitely sucked into the drama, I kept getting distracted by things:
1. "My god, does Tom Cruise never age?"
2. "Hey, there's that kid from the Rookie and stuff, doesn't he ever change his hair?"
3. "Wow, this kid playing the son is kind of cute"
4. "What, does Tom's character know everybody in New York?"
5. "Is anything going to come from what Tom's character does as his job?"
6. "Wow, the kid playing the son almost looks like Bud Cort from certain angles"
7. "Is that Tim Robbins? Yes. No. Hell, I don't know anymore"
8. "There's going to be a green leaf on that plant -- I just know it"
etc. etc. etc.

Other movies I'm looking forward to: I'll see Batman, I'll see the Island, even though it looks like crap and I hate that 7th heaven girl - I might go see the movie about the plane that flies itself, as it's on topic with the DARPA competition I have such a beef with, I'll see the Kirsten Dunst and Orlando Bloom movie, and I'll probably go see the Brothers Grimm film, although I'm pretty sick of both Matt Damon and Heath Ledger.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 30th 2005, 11:52 pm

Kristin wrote:I'm also looking forward to War of the Worlds. It'll probably have to wait until next week for me, though. I'm pretty darn sick of Tom Cruise, but I remember listening to the musical on tape and reading about the original radio broadcast and how people really thought there was an alien attack. Crazy!
I am not a big fan of Cruise either. I am looking foward to goint to see WOTW this weekend though. I have heard good things about it.

Jody, thanks for the review.

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 6th 2005, 4:31 am

I really had no desire to see War of the Worlds at all, and then Tom Cruise started his crazy sofa jumping, Brooke Shields bashing, Katie Holmes craziness. I didn't think it was possible to want to see that movie any less, but lo and behold. Even the prospect of seeing Dakota Fanning act circles around him can't convince me to pay $10 to see this movie. I know - I'm cranky!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jul 6th 2005, 5:30 am

candygirl wrote:and then Tom Cruise started his crazy sofa jumping, Brooke Shields bashing, Katie Holmes craziness. I didn't think it was possible to want to see that movie any less, but lo and behold.
Lately, Tom Cruise has really done himself no favours. I mean, I am a fan of his, in an aesthetic sense, I have enjoyed his films and I'd class myself as one of those people who really thought Tom was an OK guy. Mainly, I wanted to see War of the Worlds because it's a great book, and that's always a hook to get me into the cinema. But this time, my interest has severely waned because I just cannot work out who he thinks he is?! What he has been saying and doing recently is unacceptable, and I'm not sure I can now bring myself to watch the film and detach what he has been up to with his presence on screen in character.

Add to that Mr. S's well-documented indifference to anything sci-fi, and the fact that it's not showing in our lovely local cinema, and it's looking increasingly unlikely that I'll see this before DVD time.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jul 6th 2005, 8:55 pm

Saw War of the Worlds over the weekend.

It was decent. Not thrilling,not horrible but decent.

The cool part was that their was a nice trailer for the Chronicles of Narnia. I hear that some of Peter Jackson's effects people have done work for Chronicles. Also I think Tilda Swinton as the villian is a good choice. Liked her in Orlando. I am looking forward to seeing Chronicles in December.

-LanceMan

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 8th 2006, 6:34 am

I'm going to try to go see Thank You For Smoking tomorrow, I'm pretty excited for that one. I'm still semi-excited to see V for Vendetta, although I may have waited too long and lost my interest. I recently saw Quills for the first time, one of those movies I kept thinking about renting for years but never did. I really liked it. I understand it isn't very historically accurate, but I thought it made a great movie. I have long been awaiting Sophia Coppola's Marie Antoinette movie staring Kirsten Dunst and Jason Schwartzman. (I love the movie trailer’s juxtaposition of the period costumes and sets with the New Order soundtrack.)
Jody Barsch* wrote:Other movies I'm looking forward to: I'll see Batman, I'll see the Island, even though it looks like crap and I hate that 7th heaven girl - I might go see the movie about the plane that flies itself, as it's on topic with the DARPA competition I have such a beef with, I'll see the Kirsten Dunst and Orlando Bloom movie, and I'll probably go see the Brothers Grimm film, although I'm pretty sick of both Matt Damon and Heath Ledger.
I saw Batman in the theaters with my dad, I don't remember any thoughts I had on it.
I saw The Island in the theaters - predictable, and very similar to a lot of other stories, but it had some good moments. If you're a fan of Scarlet Johansen's rear, you should see this movie, as it really seems to be what the movie was actually about.
I rented Elizabethtown and was not at all impressed. The story seemed forced and contrived, and maybe a little bit of a cheap rip off of Garden State. I did, however, enjoy Susan Sarandon's performance. (There's also an odd use of a Macbeth quote in this movie).
Yeah, I never saw that plane movie, who was I kidding thinking I would be able to sit through that?
I also abandoned all thoughts of ever seeing that Grimm Brothers movie -- once I started seeing previews for it, it just looked nuts.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » May 8th 2006, 1:33 am

I saw Thank You For Smoking last week. I thought it was very entertaining. it was a nice break from all the crap that has come out recently. I've also seen V for Vendetta. honestly, I only went because I was bored and my friends were going. but I was pleasantly surprised, it was entertaining and had an interesting message. it had some obvious faults, but I enjoyed it.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » May 8th 2006, 2:07 pm

Okay, I know some of these have already been released and are now on dvd, but since I'm finally done with the semester I'm ready to get into movies again: (in no order)

1. Da Vinci Code (actually not out yet!)
2. Crash
3. Closer
4. Hotel Rwanda
5. Reefer Madness
6. Amelie
7. Hero
8. Shawn of the Dead
9. The Motorcycle Diaries
10. The Last Kiss (also not out yet!)
11. Xmen 3
12. Scrubs season 3 (I am purchasing this tomorrow!)
13. The Squid and the Whale
14. V for Vendetta
15. The Notorious Bettie Page
16. A Prairie Home Companion

Um... I bet there are more but I can't think of them right now.

Hooray for summer!!! :D
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 21st 2006, 8:44 pm

Arthur Nersesian's The f*** Up is being turned into a movie. I'll be waiting for that one. I recently saw and enjoyed The Squid and the Whale; I also liked Everything is Illuminated. I was disappointed by Shop Girl (particularly the music), but I was also pleasantly surprised at moments. I loved Jason Schwartzman.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » May 28th 2006, 11:20 pm

Hey all,

Been a while since I have been to the forum.

Seen a lot of independent films of late:

Brick, the Promise, Tsosi, Water

Looking forward to an Inconvenient Truth this summer.

-LanceMan

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » May 30th 2006, 12:39 pm

Hi Lance

What did you think of Brick? It's coming to my local cinema soon and I'm trying to decide whether to spend the time/money. It has had great reviews in the press here, although one reviewer apparently felt it was a little bit pretentious with the 'street' dialogue.

And Tsotsi is on my list. I'm steeling myself for it because I don't cope with screen-violence very well.

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » May 30th 2006, 5:50 pm

starbug wrote:Hi Lance

What did you think of Brick? It's coming to my local cinema soon and I'm trying to decide whether to spend the time/money. It has had great reviews in the press here, although one reviewer apparently felt it was a little bit pretentious with the 'street' dialogue.

And Tsotsi is on my list. I'm steeling myself for it because I don't cope with screen-violence very well.
Starbug,

Brick is excellent. It is basically a film noir mystery set in High School. All the characters stay in characters inspite of the reality of the outside world. Has some really great scenes. Very good, I took my roomate to see it again last Thursday.

Tsotsi is not as depressing as you might think. There is some early onscreen violence but you have probably seen much, much worse. The film is a bit polished but has a good message.

Also looking forward to seeing Happy Feet in November.

The trailer is hilarious. Robin Williams is singing My Way in Spanish ala Gypsy Kings. He is a penguin backed up by other singing penguins. Plug in Happy Feet in Google and check it out.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 12th 2006, 3:00 pm

So far this summer...

X-Men 3 and Inconvienant Truth were both excellent. Recommend both.

Saw Kinky Boots a week ago.

The best movie I have seen this year. Hands down.

Didn't really think much going but was very surprised. Dealt with alienation, loss, acceptance and gender relations in a profound yet funny way. It also defies some movie formulas. All in all definately worth seeing.

-LanceMan

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Oct 16th 2006, 12:59 pm

I'm so ready to get my 80's geek on, and I don't care who knows it!

http://www.transformersmovie.com/
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts