Jordan's Car

Found a reference to "My So-Called Life" in a book, movie, tv show or somewhere else? Then post here!
addy
Nicky Driscoll

Jordan's Car

Post by addy » Aug 13th 2001, 3:04 am

As anyone else noticed that Jordan's car keeps appearing in television and films of a similar genre.
It has appeared in.
My So-Called Life
Girl Interupted
Mallrats
10 Things I Hate About You

Why is it?
Hommage to MSCL.

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Re: Jordan's Car

Post by Joanna » Aug 14th 2001, 1:15 am

Do you mean THE Jordan's car or just a car of the same make? I know the car you mean in 10 Things but it never occurred to me that it was Jordan's... is it a cheap car that young Americans have because they can afford it perhaps? In the Uk that would probably be a Fiesta!!!! :-)

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Aug 14th 2001, 1:15 am

By the way, I am so glad someone has started a conversation again...thanks!

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

addy
Nicky Driscoll

Post by addy » Aug 14th 2001, 1:30 am

The Car may not be Jordan's it could be Graham's.
It cream with wooden panelling down the side.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Aug 15th 2001, 7:47 am

It's just a common car. However, if you wanna see an homage to MSCL in a film, go watch Jerry Maguire. There's at least 2 very obvious MSCL references.

"Close your eyes, you can find all you need in your mind if you Take the Time" - Dream Theater

Alee
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Alee » Aug 15th 2001, 6:40 pm

What's the second? Besides when they're standing out in the street like in the pilot.

adam
Three Rivers Resident

Post by adam » Aug 15th 2001, 8:30 pm

its when one of them says "SHOW ME THE MONEY" hehe

pete
Overlooked Sibling

Post by pete » Sep 5th 2001, 5:51 pm

I was watching that movie "Loser" the other day, and the professor said "If I wanted all this teenage angst, I'd watch reruns of My So-Called Life!" It made me laugh, because that's exactly what I had just finished doing.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Sep 5th 2001, 6:45 pm

>< What's the second? Besides when they're standing out in the street like in the pilot. ><

Well I'm sure it's no coincidence that Winnie Holzman is actually in the movie. Nada Despotovich (Ms Mayhew) is also in it, as Jerry's secratery. Now that may be a coincidence

"Close your eyes, you can find all you need in your mind if you Take the Time" - Dream Theater

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jun 10th 2005, 5:28 pm

pete wrote:I was watching that movie "Loser" the other day, and the professor said "If I wanted all this teenage angst, I'd watch reruns of My So-Called Life!" It made me laugh, because that's exactly what I had just finished doing.
Wow, this is an old topic. But I was just watching "Loser" (for the first time in the original version and not the german dubbed one) and boy, was I surprised when Greg Kinnear's character suddenly mentioned "My So-Called Life". I guess that line was dropped/modified in the german dubbed version.

I checked the IMDb for other references of MSCL in movies and tv shows (look here) and a new entry has appeared since I last checked: A PBS documentary "Do You Speak American?". Winnie Holzman appears in it for a short interview, a transcript can be found here.

BTW, "Loser" was written by Amy Heckerling, who also wrote "Clueless" (the movie and the series) and directed "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" (the movie and the series).

P.S.: Mena Suvari looks really cute in that movie.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 10th 2005, 8:53 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:a new entry has appeared since I last checked: A PBS documentary "Do You Speak American?". Winnie Holzman appears in it for a short interview, a transcript can be found here.
Cool!

I love Heckerling, but I hate Loser's pitiful attempts to recreate The Graduate.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 14th 2006, 8:33 pm

How likely is it that this car, (a plymouth right?) was a stickshift? Jordan never mentions it when he's coaching Angela's driving in "Pressure" but it seems most likely that it wasn't automatic. Maybe this is what was giving Angela all that trouble. "I couldn't find the break..."
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » May 17th 2006, 2:26 am

I'll have to rewatch the shows to be sure... but it seemed like the gear shift is up by the steering wheel in certain episodes, which would make Jordan's car an automatic.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

speed24601
Tino

Post by speed24601 » Feb 17th 2008, 4:56 am

After about an hour of pausing the DVD on various shots of Catalano's Car, and some simultaneous research on E-Bay Motors, I've determined that Jordan's car is a 1969 Plymouth Fury III Convertible.

If anyone wants to do some photo comparisons, here's the website I found with the best pictures.

http://www.greaterdakotaclassics.com/ca ... 9_fury.htm

Most of my comparisons were from "In Dreams Begin Responsibilities," at the end when Angela is getting in the car after talking to Brian. There's also a great overhead shot of the car in "Resolutions" when Jordan says that Angela doing his homework "isn't right." This shot puts to rest the question of whether the car was an automatic. Angela's red Jansport backpack is clearly visible in the very center of the front seat, right where the gearbox would be in a manual transmission.

Hope this clears up any confusion. It certainly makes me want to save up about 8 Grand and buy a nice one on E-Bay!

HallwayStanderby
Frozen Embryo

Post by HallwayStanderby » Mar 22nd 2008, 11:14 am

that car could have been a 3 on the tree manual like a lot of 60s cars as the 3 and 4 on the floor wasnt available in all the models and a lot of them it was an option that you paid more for. pretty sure hte fury never came with the a floor shift manual trans, so likely hood was it is a manual on the column as i am a chrysler enthusiast because a lot of other things.