Discussion for Episode 1: the Pilot

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Whatever

age thing

Post by Whatever » Oct 26th 2003, 3:58 pm

Why is so horrible that the woman was "in her twenties"?I mean,I know Angela thinks that her dad is cheating or whatever but what difference does it make if the woman is in her twenties or in her fourties?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Oct 26th 2003, 6:16 pm

For me it would make it worse, b/c of the whole stigma of older men getting "tired" of their same-age wives and going for a younger woman. So, it's like twice as bad, b/c not only is Graham possibly cheating on Patty, but he's doing it with a younger woman.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Oct 27th 2003, 11:36 am

To expand on Megs point -- the other woman isn't much older than Angela. Angela might wonder if Graham finds her friends sexually attractive. See American Beauty. This theme is picked up in "Father Figures." Angela clearly thinks something is weird about Graham's friendship with Rayanne.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Post by Guest » Oct 27th 2003, 3:27 pm

Megs wrote:For me it would make it worse, b/c of the whole stigma of older men getting "tired" of their same-age wives and going for a younger woman. So, it's like twice as bad, b/c not only is Graham possibly cheating on Patty, but he's doing it with a younger woman.
That makes sense.

Whatever

Post by Whatever » Oct 27th 2003, 3:30 pm

TomSpeed wrote:To expand on Megs point -- the other woman isn't much older than Angela. Angela might wonder if Graham finds her friends sexually attractive. See American Beauty. This theme is picked up in "Father Figures." Angela clearly thinks something is weird about Graham's friendship with Rayanne.
What do you think?Does Graham finds Angela's friends attractive?

Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Oct 27th 2003, 3:41 pm

I dont think that it is that he finds them attractive I think that Graham is trying to connect with Angela so he trys to be nice to Rayanne but also I think that Graham may feel a sort of sympathy for Rayanne... but in the pilot when Angela sees her dad talking to the woman she is truely shocked and is obviously taken a shock to what she just saw causing ther to trip... and then in father figures she goes through her fathers brief case saying in a vo I was looking for something to make me hate him... like some kind of proof... I mean it is obvious that through the series there relationship grows but instead of Angela worrying about Graham being attracked to Rayanne I think she is more worried about him actually having an affair with someone else...
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life

S&F

Age thing

Post by S&F » Oct 27th 2003, 3:53 pm

I don't think Angela thinks that there's something going on with Rayanne and Graham, but I think it does kinda psyches her out and reminds her of what she saw that night;her dad was obviously flirting with a presumably much younger woman.It's only understandable that seein him with Rayanne rolls her stomach a bit.I bet that this happens everytime she sees his ad with another chick.She just doesn't trust him anymore.And I really don't blame her.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Re: Age thing

Post by TomSpeed » Oct 27th 2003, 5:01 pm

S&F wrote:I don't think Angela thinks that there's something going on with Rayanne and Graham, but I think it does kinda psyches her out and reminds her of what she saw that night;her dad was obviously flirting with a presumably much younger woman.It's only understandable that seein him with Rayanne rolls her stomach a bit.I bet that this happens everytime she sees his ad with another chick.She just doesn't trust him anymore.And I really don't blame her.
Yes, I agree. Also, Rayanne relates to Graham as adult to adult, not child to adult. Angela has only seen Graham as a parent until now.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Post by Guest » Nov 8th 2003, 3:23 pm

Getting back to that bra strap.I also thought it was kinda vulgar.Like, earlier in the class when it falls down,I don't think that kind of behaviour is appropriate for a teacher.That Mayhew person -she looked cheap or something.

Hollywood
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Hollywood » May 7th 2006, 6:00 pm

Well, going to start watching the episodes again. Been a while. Don't know if I should read each episode topic before or after each show?
What do you guys think?

oaksand
Overlooked Sibling

Post by oaksand » May 8th 2006, 3:26 pm

i would watch first then read the discussions and possibly watch again 'IMHO'

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 15th 2006, 2:25 am

Does anybody else think that it's strange that Jordan's going to Let's Bolt? He doesn't seem like the kind of person to go to a rave. I recognize that he often just goes along with where his friends are going, but actually none of them seem like rave goers to me. (They're wearing combat boots after all.) Anyway, I could but it being a last minute thing, something they just do for lack of other things to do, like showing up to the World Happiness Dance, but the fact that Rayanne can predict that Jordan Catalano would be there, seems a little strange. Maybe I'm thinking of a rave in too strict a way.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » May 17th 2006, 2:15 am

I never thought that Let's Bolt was a rave. I thought it was just a music club/bar that they couldn't get into because they weren't 21, but Jordan/Tino/their crowd have the fake id's to get in.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Post by stburr91 » May 18th 2006, 4:28 pm

Back then combat boots weren't unusual, lots of people wore them.

I think Jordan and his friends where there for the beer and to pick up girls, the kind of girls that weren't at their school. That's why he was surprised to see Angela there.
Last edited by stburr91 on Jul 27th 2006, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 19th 2006, 4:23 am

Very true - I was far from the 2006 stereotype of who you would think wears combat boots, but back in 1994, I had this awesome pair of green steel toed boots that I freaking loved. I also had some boots just like Angela's in the Christmas episode, but I still was a pretty run of the mill teenager.

I never thought that Angela, Rayanne, and Ricky were going to a rave. I thought Let's Bolt was just a local club/bar, which is why I assumed Jordan and his friends were going - it was just another place to hang out. Remember that back in 1994, coffee places were just beginning to sprout up everywhere so there still weren't many options for teenagers to hang out at night, especially in a suburban area where Angela lived. At that age, people go wherever they think they will see people of the opposite sex in the hopes of hooking up. If that means going to a club or a school dance, it'll do.

:mrgreen:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?