are there a lot of male fans of MSCL?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Kryzbn1
Tino

are there a lot of male fans of MSCL?

Post by Kryzbn1 » Jul 5th 2005, 4:40 pm

ll
Last edited by Kryzbn1 on Jun 9th 2008, 4:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jul 5th 2005, 6:05 pm

no, it's not weird at all. even though I'm a girl, I can attest to the fact that there are plenty of guys that post on the board. it's just one of those shows that people of all ages and genders can relate to. welcome to the forum!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 6th 2005, 3:24 am

Although over 50% of our registered members are female, we do have a fair amount of males as well. As far as the members who post regularly, I think it's pretty evenly split.

Welcome aboard! Stick around and do some male-bonding with the other guys here!

:wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 6th 2005, 5:10 am

I just checked the gender statistics of the forum users database:

Female 424
Male 228

So yeah, judging by these numbers we're in the minority here, but interestingly male users post way more:

Posts by male users 16092
Posts by female users 9036 (if you add candygirls 4600 posts to that it's getting a bit closer ;-) )

And not to forget: All six principal members and operators of the mscl.com site are male too :)

Regarding the question about the air dates of MSCL on MTV: I know that MTV aired the show beginning April 10th, 1995 monday through friday at 7 p.m. and repeated all episodes two or three times in the following months. They re-aired it many times after that (even in marathons over the weekend), but I don't know the exact airdates.

Arch Geek
Tino

Post by Arch Geek » Jul 7th 2005, 1:05 pm

I think the fact that the main character is a girl probably reduced the male viewership considerably. Most of the female viewers probably identify with Angela, whereas, I'm guessing that most of the male viewers identify with Brian.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jul 7th 2005, 11:45 pm

I really identified with Angela and Brian both. Maybe I'm bi-polar or something?

OK, I also thought Angela would be a prime date for me in high school. She was so much like I was. I thought Brian was another me. I could totally relate to Bri.

I guess you could say that MSCL touched me on several levels. I have noticed that men generally are not as geeked-up about MSCL as women.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

lateatnight
Frozen Embryo

Post by lateatnight » Oct 8th 2005, 1:40 am

On the male/female fan thing, I can say that as a guy, I come across WAYYYY more female fans than male. Just a personal opinion, but I don't think that MSCL is a show that 'guy guys' would readily admit to liking. Even among female friends and acquaintances, when I mention my love for the show they usually say something along the lines of it being a girls show.

chosenone76
Tino

Post by chosenone76 » Nov 29th 2005, 5:44 pm

I started watching MSCL on MTV, like a lot of people. I just happened to catch it one day and I don't even remember which episode was my first, but it caught my attention and soon I was obsessed with seeing every episode.

rayanne_g
Tino

Post by rayanne_g » Nov 30th 2005, 7:09 am

I never saw it on MTV, but in English class in 10th grade we watched it, lol. our teacher use to bring in the tapes, and thats when i got hooked, now i watch it every nite on the n. :-P

Kate and her Guitar
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Kate and her Guitar » Feb 16th 2006, 4:06 am

Wow, you had a cool English teacher. We had a History teacher that used to bring in episodes of Blackadder Goes Forth to teach us about WWI, although I'm not sure it was historically correct!!

I don't remember watching more than half an episode when I was younger. I still haven't seen it since! (My boyfriend is getting me the episodes so I will be able to watch soon... wink wink... can't wait) I remember thinking it was quite cool, and a little bit scary. I was always the good girl who never argued with her parents. My best friend when I was younger moved away and got into hanging around with boys with long hair and listening to Nirvana and I had trouble finding new friends at my new school. In the end I think I chose the wrong friends and had a pretty rubbish time at school. In hindsight I wish I'd watched the show, tried to understand my old best friend, and hung around with people who were fun and didn't knoclk my confidence. What I wouldn't have given for a Rickie and Rayanne combo in my life.

Last time I saw an episode of MSCL was in Germany visiting my exchange partner in 1997. Her and her friends were mad on it and had taped it. Ever since then I've been desperate to see it again.

Angel Marie
Frozen Embryo

Post by Angel Marie » Apr 22nd 2006, 2:01 am

I remember when they had it on mtv. I taped every episode of it, because I missed the show. I think I taped over them all, so now I have to do it again, which I'm glad it's on the n.

Romalotti
Frozen Embryo

Re: are there a lot of male fans of MSCL?

Post by Romalotti » Sep 4th 2010, 11:56 pm

I'm a guy who's been a fan ever since the show started. I watched the pilot when it first aired on ABC, and I loved it. I missed a lot of episodes after that because it was my senior year of high school and I was preoccupied with 'teenager stuff'. About three years later, I caught a good portion of a weekend marathon on MTV and was reminded of how great the show was, and it's been a part of my life ever since.

Girls definitely seem to be more into the show than guys, probably because the main character is female and because the show is sort of quiet & introspective (two things that most men don't look for in their TV programs).

Nicky Driscoll

Post by 411314 » Sep 10th 2010, 6:15 pm

Hey there, I'm a male fan too! As I've stated on some of the other forums, I identify a lot with Brian Krakow because I was a lot like him at all three levels of pre-college school (elementary, middle, and high school). But yeah, the main character being female probably helps attract more female fans, plus the fact that some of the storylines are about her romantic troubles ("Betrayal" for instance), which may lead some (though not myself) to think of it as a "girly show".

RAVENOUS
Frozen Embryo

Post by RAVENOUS » Mar 18th 2011, 8:59 pm

Well speaking as a brand new member (I literally joined not five minutes ago) I am a man, I remember enjoying this show when it was transmitted in the UK and to the best of my knowlege it was never repeated on TV. I only recently rediscovered this show thanks to DVD. I'm not sure about if it's well liked by other men.

Superjesus
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Superjesus » Jun 16th 2011, 12:23 am

I don't imagine that there are that many, but they do exist.

I'm very much a guy guy (I'll spend hours lying on the couch watching sports and drinking beer) but I fell in love with the show when a (female) friend gave me the DVD box set as her way of trying to cheer me up after a relationship break-up. I found myself identifying with Jordan a lot, because I too struggle to express myself through any ways other than music (although I'm nowhere near as good looking as Mr Leto).