The Origin of "Krakow"

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
ThrozzyFoxx
Tino

The Origin of "Krakow"

Post by ThrozzyFoxx » Oct 25th 2005, 2:50 pm

I started watching the show just this past summer, and I continued to watch it bassically because of the use of the name "Krakow"

"Krakow" is an industrial city in southern Poland on the Vistula, and is home to one of the main Jewish Concentration camps durring the WWII era.

I've always thought it brilliant that they used Krakow as the last name of a Jewish family.

Just thought I'd share because, well, I'm bored, and a big history buff, so I thought maybe if some didn't know, now they do. .

Caroline
Frozen Embryo

Post by Caroline » Jan 10th 2006, 5:30 pm

Hi,
Interesting post!
I’ve also always loved history. Therefore I found the choice of the last name for Brian interesting as well.
I just want to clarify slightly regarding the city of Krakow :wink: .
Krakow was the second capital of Poland (Gniezno was first, and Warsaw is the current capital).
Krakow is an exceptionally beautiful historic city. I wouldn’t really call it an industrial city. Nowa Huta which was built next to Krakow and over the years became pretty much Krakow’s suburb is the industrial area which you are probably referring to. Krakow on the other hand is a spectacular historical site, which was enlisted on the Unesco’s World Heritage list of the top 12 historical sites in 1978. While Poland was forced under the Communist rule after WWII, the government officials thought they should build an industrial site next to Krakow. They thought Krakow was too cultured, too blue-blood. That’s how Nowa Huta came into existence.

Yes, the German Nazis established a concentration camp, Auschwitz, near Krakow.

Kazimierz, once a separate town, nowadays Krakow’s neighborhood, is where most Jewish residents resided in Krakow before WWII.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 8th 2006, 5:39 am

In high school, mean little Catalano lovers that we were, my friends and I would sometimes call him 'Brian Crackhouse.'
In so many ways it isn't very sensitive, but we were silly suburban teenagers fascinated by a guy who 'leans great.'