First Impressions

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 24th 2003, 11:50 pm

Hey Patrick - good to see you here again!

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Debs
Liberty High Student

Post by Debs » Aug 25th 2003, 6:28 am

Hi Patrick -

Welcome back!

Debs x
Mom. Streamers?

danafan
Frozen Embryo

I just finished watching the series for the first time

Post by danafan » Sep 28th 2005, 6:44 pm

Hello everyone - I'm new here.

While flipping the channels earlier this summer I came across an ad for My So Called Life on the Family Channel (up here in Canada). I said to myself "Oh I remember hearing about that show, it was critically acclaimed but was cancelled" so I thought I'd check it out. I watched a few episodes but then decided to wait until they started back at episode 1, so for the last month or so I've been watching the show Monday to Thursday.

Anyway it was quite the experience. The first few episodes I watched really intrigued me and when I actually got to see the show in order, things started to make sense. The Christmas show was one of the first ones I saw and I didn't realize that the person who drove Rickie to that warehouse was actually someone important on the show!

Well I'm glad I got to see this show. I never watched it at the time it first ran and I had no idea what to expect. I really enjoyed all of the story lines and my favourite character is by far Brian - I relate to him in that he doesn't really fit in anywhere and doesn't seem to have any real friends, but really wants to be accepted.

I was really worried about seeing the final show and being worried that there would be no closure, but I felt that there was enough closure. Here are how I view a few things.

Angela and Rayanne - clearly they aren't going to be friends anymore. Angela isn't ready to forgive her, despite her willingness to forgive Jordan after reading the letter.

Rayanne realizes that Sharon may be her only friend - quite interesting considering how Angela starts out as Sharon's best friend and basically dumps her. The two of them share losing closeness with Angela and that has brought them together.

Rickie - he finds a friend who isn't Rayanne. This will be good for him. And he seems to still be living with Mr. Katimsky without consequence, which is also good. I also like how his friendship with Brian evolved during the show.

Angela's parents - I really enjoyed all of their story lines. I like how on the last episode, Graham decides to not kiss Halley (how funny is it that they always refer to her by her first and last name - Halley Loenthal as if it's one unit - very consistent, yet odd - actually they do this with all the characters don't they?). So I think their marriage will last. (it sure seems weird typing this about fictional characters but that's what you get when you feel an attachment or connection for a show).

Of course there's Angela and Brian and Jordan - I have to say that the last episode really made me feel good to see the look on Angela's face when she realized that Brian wrote the letter. Especially when he says "I meant every word" and tries to back pedal. I think Angela had never really given Brian a chance, not even to really be his friend. And while they may never have got together, at least she considered him worthy of her time.

The only thing I am left wondering about is what if Angela had actually given Rayanne the chance to talk to her the way she let Jordan - would they have been able to move on? Or are the differences between the dynamics of a romantic relationship and a friendship too great?

Anyway those are some thoughts from a newbee. I look forward to reading more of the posts on this board.

Stuckinthe90s
Frozen Embryo

I just got this box set as a gift..................

Post by Stuckinthe90s » Jan 15th 2008, 2:29 pm

And I got to say that I was skeptical of seeing this at first. You know Im a 29 year old guy ahahahahaha.......... BUT then I decided to have a couple of beers and check out an episode or two. NOW IM HOOKED!!!!! hahahahaha
good stuff! anyone else just start watching this? Or what was your firs reaction upon watching this for the first time? 8)
I'm cold in Chicago and I am Rayanne's #1 fan

His_Girl_Red
Jody Barsh

Re: I just got this box set as a gift..................

Post by His_Girl_Red » Jan 15th 2008, 3:42 pm

Welcome to the MSCL universe!!! I'm glad you loved it! You've definitely come to the right place for MSCL memories/info. I think the show transcends gender and age, so don't worry; no one's gonna judge you for being a dude and getting hooked on it. We've all been in the same (or close to) places as Angela, Rayanne, Rickie, Jordan, and the others and I definitely think that's important to remember. Hell, my stubbon TV-snob boyfriend ended up watching most of The Substitute with me and the only reason why he stopped was because a big football game was on, haha!

Again, welcome to the family! ^_^
"I was goin' nowhere,
goin' nowhere fast.
Drownin' in my memories,
livin' in the past.
Everythin' looked black 'til I found her.
She's all I need, and that's what I said.
Oooh, oooh, oooh, I call her `Red'."

speed24601
Tino

Post by speed24601 » Feb 17th 2008, 6:08 am

Nice to know I'm not alone in the world. I'm a 30 year old guy who watched MSCL during it's original run on ABC. I was 16 just about to turn 17 at the time and something about the show just spoke to me. Not to mention I thought Claire Danes was absolutely gorgeous. It's funny to think about now, but a lot of guys at the time were watching this show. I always remember talking about it with all my friends. It was just so real. It gave a real insight into what it was to be a teenager in the '90's.

I remember being so pissed off when I learned there wasn't going to be a second season. I couldn't believe they were just going to end the show with so many loose ends. Consequently, I've begun writing my own version of how Episode 20 might have turned out. Maybe if I ever finish it, I'll submit it.

It's funny to be 30 and seeing this show from my current perspective. It's still very easy to relate to 90's teens since I was one, but now I relate to Angela's parents as well. I remember thinking when I was a teenager, that Patty was a complete bitch. Watching the show now, I understand what she's going through. I also almost totally relate to Graham. With the exception of being married and having kids.

I stumbled on the newest DVD box set from Shout!Factory completely by accident. I saw an interview with Claire Danes on the internet and it got me thinking about the show so I did a Yahoo! search and found a really good deal on the DVD set on Amazon.com. Since then I've re-watched all 19 episodes, listened to several commentaries, watched all the special features, and even found this website.

Honestly, the only complaint I have about the new DVD's is that in the interviews, Claire has blonde hair. In everything I've seen her in since MSCL, she just never looks right without that certain "crimson glow" in her hair!

TheAJSite
Frozen Embryo

Post by TheAJSite » May 7th 2008, 7:20 pm

oh come on ...

... I just watched the last episode ... like ... right now and it's killing me ...

so I also got the shout set as a gift and oh man okay it took me a bit to get into it since it is from the perspective of a girl and I can more relate to the wonder years as for my very own experience but what a great show and come on I mean okay you could call it a great cliffhanger at least at the end if you are into positive thinking but I am not :) ... aww it sucks I think on the bonus features Winnie says she would have explored the whole Brian Angela relationship and that would have been cool :)

and as for AJ's performance it is just awesome I mean she is just there ... all seems effortless ... great acting for sure

HeyDave
Tino

Post by HeyDave » Jul 10th 2008, 11:29 pm

Hey,

I'm a guy in my thirtys so don't feel alone. For some reason, the show just really hit a note with me and took me back to my HS days. I just picked up a box set a month or two ago myself and have watched every episode 3 or 4 times

Fernando Lima
Frozen Embryo

Post by Fernando Lima » Jul 11th 2008, 2:15 pm

Well, I am a bit older than you guys (50) and, despite the fact of having watched the show during its original run in the 90s, I enjoyed it more after I got the box set. But I still think they should try to make some kind of a "reunion" show, maybe with one or two chapters, just to put an end at my recurring depression...

And I completely agree with Speed24601: it took me 10 years to understand and totally relate to Angela´s parents (but I have got kids!) and I think Claire looks terrific with that "crimson glow".
... I love to hear her speak, yet well I know/That music hath a
far more pleasing sound/I grant I never saw a goddess go/My
mistress when she walks treads on the ground/And yet, by heaven, I
think my love as rare/As any she belied with false compare.

MonnyUK2
Three Rivers Resident

Post by MonnyUK2 » Jul 16th 2008, 7:08 pm

I totally agree with you. I think we can keep dreaming of re-union but I don't think it will happen. I still shout at the TV when every time I watch 'In Dreams come Responsibilitities'. It would be perfect as the characters would be appproaching or already 30. As adults they could have shown how they ended up. Oh well we can keep dreaming and wondering what would have happened next between Angela , Jordan and Brian and the rest of the gang.

They could make a TV movie about an hour an a half that wouldn't take them long to make and people like us would definately watch it. As Claire and Jared are quite big stars now I'm sure it would pull in other people too. Anyway I guess we just have to treasure and analyse and scrutinise the 19 episodes that we have. I love all 19 and am glad that we have them forever and now made new again with the new DVD set.

pricillaanncox
Frozen Embryo

Just Finished Season 1

Post by pricillaanncox » Jul 26th 2008, 3:55 pm

Alright so, after seeing current pictures of Claire Danes, I read a reference to My So-Called Life that I didn't understand because I'd never even heard of the show... after a tribute video on YouTube, I sought the show out a couple days ago and just now finished it.

The first episode really drew me in. I thought it was brilliant, the writng, the plots, etc. However, throughout the season, I feel like the show reverted to cliches which upset me! I thought the show was above that. Some examples are like (okay, so I say "like" endlessly anyway, but after the show, I swear I've doubled the usage...), when the supermodel/celebrity appeared in the bathroom, and the whole Brian/Jared thing with the letter at the end. I thought it ended beautifully, but the nerdy guy being the voice of the hot rebel is really overdone... I just think those sort of things kind of take away. Oh, another episode that seemed weird to me...just cheesy, was the dead homeless girl. It seemed a little contrived for Patty to ask "how did you die?" like that. Did I miss something, or did it really play out like that? That episode was wonderful, with Rickie and everything, but that part seemed corny. What do you all think?

All in all, I thought it captured being a teenager perfectly without being stupid. I'm surprised to see the way they look though! I was born in 1989, so while I was a 90's KID, I was not a 90's teen and considering myself still somewhat of a teenager, it is hilarious to see their hairstyles/outfits, etc.

Oh and I always wondered why Jared Leto was famous... not a fan of the band, so this explains it.

Also, Claire Danes is a GREAT actor. This past year for my intro English class at college, we watched Igby Goes Down. That was the first I'd ever seen of her. Watching My So-Called Life, I can't believe it's the same girl. I never once was reminded of her other part. You know the actresses who just...remind you of themselves, or their breakout role? Yeah, Claire Danes isn't one of them.

So, that's all. Just some comments. :]

gluegirls
Frozen Embryo

Just finished watching for the first time...

Post by gluegirls » Nov 22nd 2009, 12:36 am

Hey, there! I'm not sure if anyone is actually going to read this... but, I had to post this somewhere, and I figured that this would be the best place. After watching the series in its entirety, all I can say is... wow. I loved every minute of it, and it makes me wish that there were more shows like this out there. The writing was brilliant, and in nineteen episodes, an entire spectrum of emotions were captured. I can't even describe it. I'm at a loss for words, and while I'm sad that it's over, I am so glad that I was able to experience it. (':

Oh! And, as charming as Jordan Catalano is... I think I'll always be rooting for Brian Krakow.

slimeball
Tino

Re: Just finished watching for the first time...

Post by slimeball » Nov 27th 2009, 1:03 pm

Gluegirls, you're certainly not alone here. Most "lifers" shared this overwhelming sense of mixed emotions when we finished watching the series for the first time. Eventually the sadness that show is over turns into a deep satisfaction knowing it will always be one of the best series to ever air. Enjoy rewatching the episodes over and over again.

BTW, you may want to check out the fan fiction section. Just because the show is over doesn't mean the story has to end.

Tish
Three Rivers Resident

Re: Just finished watching for the first time...

Post by Tish » Dec 2nd 2009, 5:46 am

after rewatching mscl on dvd it amazes me that 'the james dean of tv shows' lost it's life while there are smells like crap spirit shows right now and 15 yrs ago that don't hold a candle to mscl...mscl is for the intelligent and real people...people who lap up the inane slop will never understand mscl and how good a show it was and that it never should have been cancelled. :roll:
"i am a punk rocker, and i fight for justice!"

mudslides
Frozen Embryo

Just got through watching and....

Post by mudslides » Mar 25th 2010, 5:15 pm

Ive spent the last few days watching the dvds and whoa. Its ended? I mean what do you watch after that? (I realise I am a million years late).
I am coveting Angelas wardrobe right now. And thinking about how weird life must be being as pretty as Jared.
I figure Jordan is to Angela what Tony was to Patty, and Brian is to Angela what Graham is to Patty. Does that make any sense?
Obsessed much ? Hopefully people still come here. I need someone to discuss with!
:angel: