How did you continue MSCL in your mind?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

How did you continue MSCL in your mind?

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Feb 10th 2002, 2:11 am

Since we only got 19 episodes of this wonderful series, I am wondering if you left the story where it ended in In Dreams Begin Responsibilities or if you wrote your own ending for the characters in your mind. I realize there is fan fiction that continues the show as well as the books that came out, but I am curious about what you think happened to the characters after we last saw them.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Re: How did you continue MSCL in your mind?

Post by Joanna » Feb 10th 2002, 2:17 pm

OK this is a hard one - because everyone has their own idea of what happens but who can ever be right and who knows?? I would suggest that Angela does some soul searching (after that letter) and ends up finally falling, in a strange sort of way, for Brian.....after a lot of thought of course. I think she didn't speak to Jordan in the car after they drove away because she found she just wanted to get back and hold Brian. Jordan has his heart broken and carries on the same as before (pretending not to notice the happenings of Angela's relationship around school - if he bothers to stay on there). Angela will try and stay friends with Jordan to keep him on the right track but I doubt Jordan will want to know as his ego will have been too dented. I think Rickie will end up moving away from the area to go to a prestigious Drama school (with the help of Mr Katimski). Rayanne will disappear into the shadows - perhaps getting a hard time from Rusty (her mum won't want to know)....she will hardly go to school and when she does she will no doubt gaze longingly at Angela (wanting to be her as usual as Angela becomes more popular and happier). Angela and Sharon will become friends again and I think that both Sharon and Rayanne will fall for older men...wouldn't surprise me if Rayanne tried it on with Graham!! Sharon will end up with a handsome, intelligent man and end up living 'the American Dream' and Rayanne will probably end up with a bully because that's all she knows --- maybe a tattoo artist just trying to earn a living ;-) She will never really have a proper job I think and will probably end up working in a dingy shop selling old music and magazines - she'll sit behind the till leaning on her hand and gaze across the road in boredom, wondering where her mum is (Amber has gone off with a biker). Delia will end up with Corey because their quirky ways make them hit it off. Graham will end up being unfaithful with someone after breaking off his friendship with Hallie....Sharon's mum will witness it and promise to say nothing to Patty so long as he doesn't do it again. Either way I think Patty will fall into depression and before long Danielle will be hitting her adolescence which will probably pull Patty back into reality and bring Graham back to being faithful (realising just how lucky he his to have such a family!). Brian will finally be happy with his sweet heart - he will somehow come in to some money and move out so that he and Angela have somewhere to be (without either of their nagging parents). Brian will grow into the man we always knew he could be and Jordan, after never completing school, will end up as a car mechanic working across the way from Rayanne's dingy shop - they will try to avoid each other --- accept when either of them wants to know what that Angela Chase is up to these days.

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Feb 11th 2002, 12:13 am

Wow, Joanna. I really liked your vision of what happend to our MSCL-ers after the final episode. I do think you're right that everyone has her or his vision of what happened. That's the beauty of this show. We can all interpret it in our way and relate to it in our own way. That's what makes it so special.

As for me, I continuously rewrite what could have happened to the characters, but here's my latest version of where I think they went after Angela got in that car.

I think Angela and Jordan continued to date through high school, but when it came time for college, that's when the relationship would end. Angela would decide that she wanted to explore life and move away to school, while Jordan wouldn't be able to follow.

While Angela was touched by Brian's letter, their longtime history of growing up together and being a bit like brother and sister prevented her from acting on what Brian expressed in the letter. Meanwhile, Brian just hung back a bit after being burned. After all, he finally expressed his feelings to Angela, and it still got him nowhere. And in the end, he went to a top-notch school and met someone else who took his mind off Angela.

As for Rickie, he really did seem comfortable at Mr. Katimski's house, so I am thinking that he stays with Katimski and his partner and ends up pursuing a career in the dramatic arts. And once he made it to college, he would find like-minded souls and would actually fit in quite well as opposed to how it was in high school.

Sharon and Rayanne actually ended up expanding their friendship partly because Angela was spending so much time with Jordan. Sharon ended up finally saying no to Kyle but still experimenting with other guys and becoming even more comfortable in her sexuality. Meanwhile, Rayanne did a bit of turning around and really started looking to find someone to love her.

Graham and Hallie did eventually cheat despite all of the arguments that they were only friends. When Patty found out, she threw Graham out of the house and sunk into a depression over seemingly losing everything -- Graham to Hallie, Angela to Jordan and Danielle to teendom. But eventually, some type of crisis such as Patty's father going into the hospital and dying, ended up bringing the family back together.

As for Amber and Rusty, they eventually split as many of Amber's relationships do. She ends up going on a string of other boyfriends, and Rayanne ends up taking care of Amber instead of the other way around. In the end, these two end up only having each other.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Feb 11th 2002, 1:21 am

IMO, the writers had Rayanne forced into trying out for the play for a reason. Acting will be her niche. This will be the thing that takes her mind off of guys and boos. She would relapse occasionally, but her life would have purpose. It would be the one thing that liberates her; the one thing she truly loves to do. I see her going to New York in an attempt to make a career out of it. But of course all of my thoughts on what the future held for these characters went into what I wrote with the fan fictions, so I won't repeat myself too much.

- jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com/

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Feb 12th 2002, 6:53 am

What a great point, dTheater. Rayanne and acting could definitely work for her. After all, she has an over-the-top personality that would work quite well on stage, and she did such a great job in that play that Angela pushed her to try out for. And perhaps after she found success on stage, then that would give her the strength to not just settle for any guy who simply shows interest in her.

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Feb 12th 2002, 7:24 am

Aren't you lot forgetting that Rayanne suffers from SERIOUS stage fright???!!! (Unless Angela is there of course!)

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Feb 12th 2002, 2:48 pm

This was discussed on earlier posts, and I was somewhat alone is this view --- but I think Angela would get over the fact that Rayanne slept with Jordan, and that Angela and Rayanne would become strong friends again. I don't think Angela and Brian together could ever really work (long term), but I do think it's possible that they might share a moment of passion together. I think Angela and Jordan would have similar problems going long-term --- but I definitely would have thought a second season would have had the two of them having sex, etc.

RyeBlume
Three Rivers Resident

Post by RyeBlume » Feb 12th 2002, 8:09 pm

The thing about Camille witnessing graham's infidelity has the ring of truth to it... i kind of like that.
I think Rayanne's stage fright is something that she was beginning to get over... i mean, everyone is nervous in an audition.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Feb 13th 2002, 12:56 am

Ah yes, the stagefright. I didn't forget about Rayanne's difficulty, Joanna, but she really did seem to start to get over it when she and Angela were sharing a moment on stage and from the heart. I do think that Rayanne would eventually be able to get over that stagefright, especially since she's not what you would consider an introvert. As RyeBlume mentioned, the stagefright was probably more linked to the audition. I think she was initially so hesitant because she really didn't think she was good as some of the smarter kids, but in the end, Rayanne's the one who got the part. That alone had to boost her confidence.

Oldguy, it's interesting that you brought up Angela and Rayanne being friends again. It would mirror what happened between Patty and Camille. I still remember Patty telling Graham what had happened when she and Camille liked the same guy. Time has a way of healing many wounds, and the bond between Angela and Rayanne was pretty strong initially so maybe with time, they would be able to strengthen that bond again. After all, look at how well Patty and Camille still get along years after they had that feud.

sunshine11
Nicky Driscoll

Post by sunshine11 » Jul 26th 2004, 10:12 am

NIGHTJESSI- I love how to would have continued the story. I wouldn't change a thing.

oldguy- I too think Rayanne and Angela would have became friends again. She did forgive Jordan so it time she would have forgiven Rayanne as well.

ele_93
Tino

Post by ele_93 » Jul 23rd 2005, 1:27 am

This was the best t.v show I have ever seen! So the fact that we only got 19 episodes really brings up conflict. I do believe that if the show was to have continued it would have Angela and Jordan build a relationship that was obviously a relationship. Brian would stay Angela's reliable friendly neighbor whom she some what uses. Though I do believe that her and Rayanne would put the past behind them and Angela would forgive her, also that her father and hallie would continue to build their buisness and that Patty would be jelous of Hallie for spending more than enough time with Graham. But throughout the years there would of coarse be much more!
I'm addicted to My So-called Life!

lithiumkat
Three Rivers Resident

Post by lithiumkat » Aug 10th 2005, 5:45 pm

I always figured that...Angela would really think hard about that letter and realize that all the things she was searching for in Jordan that weren't there behind his pretty face were swimming inside of Brian even though he may have just seemed like her geeky neighbor that could never be worth anything. I think she will realize that maybe Brian isn't such a pretty face as Jordan but that his heart holds all the answers that she has been seeking and that slowly they will develop into something, maybe after talking and becoming real close friends first.

I think that Rayanne and Angela will patch things up but things will never quite be the same, I can tell from weekend that they both kind of WANT things to be fixed, you can tell by the way that Angela asks about Rayanne that even though she is deeply hurt and angry about Rayannes actions and the fact that she feels really betrayed I think she still cares about and misses Rayanne and will maybe in time after some talking it out that she will maybe understand that Rayanne didn't really mean to hurt her and that Rayanne made a stupid mistake that she regretted and just couldn't take back after it happened.

I think that Angela and Sharon will become friends again and that the friendship between Angela/Rayanne and Angela/Sharon will be somewhat more balanced again and that Rayanne/Sharon will not really have reasons to be so jealous of each other and their relationship to Angela again. I think Rayanne/Sharon will become a quirky set of friends even if they aren't really close or hang out too much.

I also see Sharon really lightening up a lot with the goody two shoes bit. I think she will always be more reserved than Angela and way more reserved than Rayanne but I think she will kind of let go a little more. I do see her ending up with the "perfect" life maybe, ya know white picket fence a dog a cat and two kids. But who knows, maybe Sharons life will hit some hard corners and crossroads further along.

I think Jordan will always regret his mistakes with Angela but I don't think he will ever get her back now, I think they will try and remain friends but I think he will always regret the one that got away. I don't necissarily see him staying in high school especially with his disappointments about Angela...I basically see him keeping his partying ways and wonder why things don't seem to get better for him.

I know that Patty and Graham were really going to get divorced from the shows future plan but I don't know if that's what I really saw happening I more imagined them working things out, maybe even going to couples therapy or temporarily splitting up with Graham moving out and then them ending up putting things back together, but of course I wouldn't know what the road to divorce really looks like because my parents have been together for decades lol literally.

I think that Graham will back out on the restaurant thing because of the weirdness with the Hallie thing and that he will pursue something else with his cooking, either his own restaurant w/o her or just working in a fancy restuarant as a cook.

I think as Angela gets older, like in her 20s that her mom will ease up on her a bit...get harder on Danielle but I think her mom will always remain someone controlling and nosy.

I guess I don't know what I really see for Rickie, I think his life gets better after maybe finding a place he feels like is home. I think he will do well in school after that and maybe become a counselor or something else with social work. I think he is a shining star that will do something to brighten the lives of other people.

Of course can you tell I'm an optimist? lol. But those are the endings in my head, of how I think things end up eventually.
"people always say how you should be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing...like a toaster or something, like you can know what it is even."

askmetostay
Tino

Post by askmetostay » Aug 31st 2005, 9:37 pm

Angela would end up with Brian.