Hey ClarenceWorley!!!

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 11th 2002, 5:05 am

StrawberryGirl wrote:Dirty Dancing (don't tease :oops: )
When Harry Met Sally
Okay, don't laugh but Girls Just Want to Have Fun! :oops:

Sarah Jessica Parker, Helen Hunt, Shannen Doherty, Jonathan Silverman, Holly Gagnier (who was Ivy on Days of Our Lives about a million years ago) - and lines like "it's the safest thing you'll ever have between your legs!" :D

Since I'm on a musical theme now - Grease (which is coming out on DVD in September!) and Breakin' (stop laughing!). :shock:

I LOVE When Harry Met Sally. Every time I talk to one of WHMS-obsessed friends, we always end up having at least one Harry or Sally reference.

You wanted to be a gymast.

A journalist.

That's what I said.

:lol:

The best aspect of that movie is that not only did I find it humorous when I first saw it in middle school (in the theater - gawd I'm old!) but now I can also appreciate the insight and truth. CAN men and women ever be just friends? :wink:

StrawberryGirl
Three Rivers Resident

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!

Post by StrawberryGirl » Jul 11th 2002, 10:21 am

hehe! Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is the COOLEST movie!!! Seriously, no need to be embarassed- all my college friends and I found an old vhs and watched it, like, CONSTANTLY. ("sorry, I don't have anything smaller than a fifty") :) That movie is GREAT, in a very nostalgic sort of way. I wanted to BE Sarah Jessica Parker.

And, yeah, I think I was in junior high too when When Harry Met Sally came out. My mom wouldn't let me watch it cause it was rated R (sheltered me :? ) But I saw the next summer at a friend's house, and have loved it ever since.

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

When Harry Met Sally!

Post by socalledfan » Jul 11th 2002, 10:26 am

Yes, ladies! When Harry Met Sally is another great one. A movie I have seen countless times....

Candygirl, I can relate to the constant references you and your friends make to this movie. It frequently comes up with my friends too. I love Meg Ryan by the way....I know she has become quite a cliched movie star but I still love her.

But Say Anything is the movie that my friends and I probably talk about most, because John Cusack's character of Lloyd Dobler is the perfect guy in our opinion. We all aspire to find "Lloyd." The name Lloyd is now a noun meaning "the one."

Hee hee.... :lol:

Socalledfan
"You're sooo beautiful, it HURTS to look at you."

StrawberryGirl
Three Rivers Resident

Post by StrawberryGirl » Jul 11th 2002, 10:35 am

"Chill! You must chill! I have hidden your keys! Chill!!!"

sorry, just had to get my favorite Lloyd Dobler quote in there... :wink:

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jul 11th 2002, 12:50 pm

SoCalledFan,
Above you state Lloyd Dobler is the perfect guy. Can you explain "the perfect guy" to me a little bit. {This would be helpful to know} I have not seen Say Anything in quite a while. I did like it though. Another cool 80's movie. As far as J. Cusack goes I am kinda partial to One Crazy Summer. Thanks for the help. And for the record....any of you other ladies feel free to please expound on the 'perfect guy' thing. =)
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

:D

Post by socalledfan » Jul 11th 2002, 1:08 pm

K-man,

Hmmm...okay. You asked for it! :wink:

First, I suggest that you re-watch the movie and play close attention to Lloyd, his strength of character.

Here is my analysis of Lloyd as the "perfect guy." Well, at least the kind of guy that I believe to be top-notch.

It's not that he's gorgeous or rich...(John Cusack is cute, in a non-traditional way)...or that he drives a nice car...(his is a classic Chevy Malibu). But Lloyd is honest. He has a good heart. He's funny. People gravitate toward him because he doesn't demand attention...he's just cool and people see that in him.

Most of all, he is EXTREMELY respectful of women, and of Diane, in particular. He is a gentleman. In small gestures you can see the type of guy he is...

He is in awe of her...and makes her feel beautiful...special...wanted...all the time. He treats sex as an act of love.

He fights for their love when she breaks up with him....no foolish pride gets in his way.

Lloyd is the perfect guy because he is sincere, and he wants nothing more than to love Diane. But he is his own person too....he doesn't cling to her in a desperate way....he lets her grow and develop, gives her space when she needs it...but is always looking on lovingly.

How's that for an explanation? Let me know if you need more of the female perspective. :D

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 11th 2002, 3:41 pm

Why Lloyd is the idea guy - a topic that is near and dear to my heart.

Lloyd is honest and sincere, which is (to use Rayanne's word choice) refreshing. It's also rarer than you would think.

Should I even begin the debate about whether Diane Cort was worthy of Lloyd?

I know I am not the only one who thought that Rob (in High Fidelity) or Jonathan (in Serendipity) was an older version of Lloyd? Still looking for love. A little older, a tad more jaded, a bit more cynical, but Lloyd at the core.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Some of my favoite Cusack films

Post by mglenn » Jul 12th 2002, 12:35 pm

Serendipity
High Fidelity
Being John Malkovich
Pushing Tin
Thin Red Line, The (Don't really like the film as a whole but love cusack's part takin out the japanese gun emplacement!)
Grosse Pointe Blank ("That guy either has a new found respect for life or he's in love with that guys daughter!")
Fat Man and Little Boy ("Worst Case Senerio? Well we detonate the gaget and in the process ignite the atmosphere and destroy the world!")
Say Anything
One Crazy Summer (This and Better Off Dead are two of my pesonal favs)
Better Off Dead ("Its a damn shame when folks be throwin away a perfectly good white boy like that!", "This mountain is pure snow, look I think I've frozen the left half of my brain, see I can't move my right arm", "So tell me whats worse, not knowing how to speak english or learning how from watching Wide World of Sports?", and everyones favorite "Two Dollars, I want my Two Dollars!!!")
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Jul 12th 2002, 12:41 pm

Hahahahaha Mike... I LOVE Better Off Dead! I can see you've seen the movie MANY times, and you're a real Cusack fan. Allright!!! :wink:

Johnny: "Four weeks....twenty papers...that's TWO dollars."

Lane: "Gee, Johnny, I only have a dime."

Jonny: (throws hand up to stop door)...DIDN'T ASK FOR A DIME. TWO DOLLARS. CASH."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

StrawberryGirl
Three Rivers Resident

Post by StrawberryGirl » Jul 12th 2002, 1:25 pm

Yeah, Better Off Dead is GREAT...

"Gee, I'm real sorry your mom blew up, Ricky".

"Have you any idea what the street value of this mountain is"?

and from Ricky's mom, squeezing Monique's cheeks..."Christ-mas!"

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jul 12th 2002, 1:27 pm

"Well you see Johnny my little brother got his arm caught in the microwave and then my grandmother dropped acid and freaked out and hijacked a bus full of penguins...Soooooo its kind of a family crisis so you can come back later right? Great! <<DOOR SLAMS>>"
Last edited by mglenn on Jul 15th 2002, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Better off dead coming to dvd

Post by mglenn » Jul 12th 2002, 1:39 pm

Just saw that http://www.imdb.com/ is listing Better Off Dead as an upcoming DVD release! :lol:

StrawberryGirl
Three Rivers Resident

Post by StrawberryGirl » Jul 12th 2002, 1:43 pm

Wa-hoo for that!
Just saw that http://www.imdb.com/ is listing Better Off Dead as an upcoming DVD release!

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Woohoo!

Post by socalledfan » Jul 12th 2002, 2:05 pm

Mike, how did I know you would know EXACTLY what Lane said next??? :wink:

I love how fast he says "Come back later?GREAT"

Anyway, so glad to hear about the DVD! I must own a copy!

:D

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 12th 2002, 2:19 pm

StrawberryGirl wrote:hehe! Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is the COOLEST movie!!! Seriously, no need to be embarassed- all my college friends and I found an old vhs and watched it, like, CONSTANTLY. ("sorry, I don't have anything smaller than a fifty") :) That movie is GREAT, in a very nostalgic sort of way. I wanted to BE Sarah Jessica Parker.
Oh, you know kids. They find one person and they just can't get enough of them. Like being in love only they re not allowed to have sex. No, don't you remember there would be like this one person who had like perfect hair, or perfect breasts, or they were just so funny, and-and you just wanted to eat them up. Just-just live in their bed. Just be them. Like everybody else was in black and white and that person was in color. Well, Strawberry Girl thinks Janey Glenn is in color. Major color.

Just wanted to let you know that GJWTHF is out on DVD now! My sister gave it to me for my birthday on the condition that I give her my VHS copy. That's love!