The Most Awesome Thing I Saw on TV This Week - by Kim

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jan 30th 2005, 7:45 pm

But it was awesome, right?

:mrgreen:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 30th 2005, 7:56 pm

Hells yes it was awesome! :smilecolros:
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 31st 2005, 5:57 am

As discussed in this thread (word to TooCool4Skool!), My Super Sweet 16:
And now it's time for the Most Awesome Thing I Saw on TV Last Week. The most awesome thing I saw on TV last week was the new show on MTV called My Super Sweet 16, which chronicles some ridiculously oversized party given by teenage girls. So there have been two episodes so far, but the most awesome one was definitely the "coming-out party" given by two girls named Jacqueline and Lauren.

So Jacqueline, a Kristin Davis lookalike, is both beautiful and sweet, if a bit spoiled. And Lauren is a total diva and bitch. And clearly completely jealous of her friend. This was best exemplified by a sequence where Saks Fifth Avenue shut down an entire floor to accommodate their dress-shopping trip, and Jacqueline tried on dress after dress and looked awesome in all of them, while Lauren just creepily stared at her and looked pissed off. So finally Jacqueline settles on this black BCBG minidress, and Lauren goes and finds almost the same dress and announces that she's going to buy it. The f***? Bitch is crazy.

And they were getting way too much enjoyment out of handing out their invitations to an exclusive seven-hundred-person list, and apparently people ended up scalping invitations and trying to forge VIP passes. And these ballsy twelve-year-old girls tried to bluff their way in, which was pretty awesome. Oh! And I forgot to mention that they charged money to get in! How f***ing tacky is that! They claimed they were giving the money "to breast cancer" (Breast Cancer says thanks!), but that's like charging a cover at your wedding or something.

And the editors made sure we understood the disparity between Lauren and Jacqueline by showing their preparations for the party; Lauren bitched at her father (who was paying for the party) and took cell-phone calls while getting her makeup done and hair extensions put in, while Jacqueline went for a jog with her cousins and practiced the piano. So the night of the party, Pauly Shore showed up. Of course he did! What else does he have to do? And he totally hit on the birthday girls. And then the band started playing and people started moshing, and Jacqueline got dragged into it and got punched in the face. At the end of the night, Jacqueline was happy and walked around and thanked everyone, including the cops, while Lauren just bitched that it was nothing special and her feet hurt. And it was awesome.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 7th 2005, 8:49 pm

Puppies are awesome!
And now it's time for the Most Awesome Thing I Saw on TV Last Week. The most awesome thing I saw on TV last week was actually the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet, but there's not much to say about that, except that puppies are cute. So instead, I'll tell you about the most awesome non-puppy-related thing I saw on TV last week, which was an episode of Starting Over.

The show was losing me for a while, but this week totally sucked me back in. First, there is a woman who has amnesia, like, who knew that really existed outside of soap operas? And while she thinks she got it due to encephalitis or something, the doctors are starting to suspect that she got it due to a traumatic incident that she doesn't want to recall. And now she's trying to figure out what that traumatic incident might be. Dramatic!

And there's also a woman who is the butchiest butch that ever butched (she's a prison guard, okay?) who is divorced (from a man) with eight kids and wants to learn to be more feminine or something. Her whole situation is just weird, and I suspect that more and more interesting details are going to leak out, like how last week she admitted that she doesn't wear makeup because her father told her that only whores do.

But the most awesome episode last week involved Cassie, a high-school dropout and recovering alcoholic who gave up a baby for adoption and is now trying to find him. A few weeks back, the women in the house were all talking about people they admire, and for some reason, Cassie is a huge John Davidson fan. Who? Yeah. John Davidson, former host of That's Incredible. Cassie finds him inspiring.

So, the night before she had to take the GED, the life coaches arranged for Cassie to get a visit from John Davidson. And she freaked out! And even John Davidson was kind of like, "Really? Me?" And Cassie explained how, in a dark period of her life (which means all of it), she saw him on TV and decided to write him a letter, and he sent her an autographed picture that said, "You're Incredible." And you could see John Davidson thinking, "Okay, we sent those out to everyone, and I never actually signed them, you FREAK!" But he had to be nice.

So then, he sang a song to her, about how she was a ship and she would determine her own course, and he was like talk-singing at the end, and it was hilarious. And then he left, but it was awesome that (a) someone is that big of a freak over John Davidson of all people, and (b) that even John Davidson was confused as to why she loved him so much. So that was awesome.
I would like to add that I watched the Puppy Bowl and I can vouch for its awesomeosity!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 14th 2005, 9:41 pm

No installment of TMATISOTLW, but a TWoP shout-out to MSCL in this week's American Idol recap:
Meanwhile, THOSE BITCHES GOT TO GO TO THE O.C. SET! I HATE THESE PEOPLE! Ahem. I should explain. What makes these kids cry and freak out and dream at night and examine their qualities both positive and less so, is a show called American Idol. And I'm not going to judge them for that. But I would appreciate the same latitude when I explain that The O.C. is my own private American Idol. It takes all kinds, people. Trust me, I'm hating myself enough right now, considering that the only person who reacts to being on The O.C. set the same way I would is the egregiously unstable Jaclyn Crum, a 16-year-old spaced-out blonde chick without a damn thought in her head, who cries at the drop of a hat. And, like, that's punishment enough, don't you think? Me and Crum against the world.

Then her mom completely and utterly loses her s**t about the whole thing and the visit to Harbor High and the trip to Los Angeles and the very fact of American Idol and the fact that Jaclyn is completely talented and whatnot, and then we see directly where Jaclyn's emotional freedom came from as Mommy Crum also starts crying. Like, really crying. Like the ugly realistic crying of Angela Chase that you hardly ever see on the TV. And so the dreams coming true and the amazing love between a mother and a daughter and it's that whole karaoke thing where I can't look but I can't look away and I'm kind of freaking out. Crying mommies. You know? Mortifying to you, to me, to everybody in the world, and, like, it's sweet but moms can be just so painful to see doing this, especially if they cry because words aren't equal to the task of making you understand how special their kid is. Oh, it's a bloodbath.
Later, what I believe is another MSCL shout-out:
She's about to cry. She's got that "I see red" face with the shaky lips where you can tell they've both gone to where the fight is having them and it has nothing to do with these guys or anything at all but about how when she looks at him right now she doesn't see his face so much as she sees everybody who ever called her stupid, and it's pretty raw and scary, and he's staring at her but all he's seeing is a particular kind of ball and chain, and their faces feel hot, and there's a warm, heavy feeling in their stomachs because they're not really fighting each other but the things they hate in each other, and it's terrible, and amazing.
And word to this:
Meet two more, um, 'rockers,' Aaron Kelly (24, St. Louis, the Andrew WK guy who does a great impression of Andrew WK but shouldn't be here) and Harold 'Bo' Bice (28, Helena AL), who looks like if James Taylor lived in the woods and cut out lots of paper dolls. Hmm, these are Constantine's competition for the "rocker" title. Which I love, because, what, like this is 1982 and there are "rockers" and "punkers" and "New Wavers" and Spike has to raise an imaginary egg baby for class. Every time they say "rocker" I can smell Electric Youth and Aquanet.
:mrgreen:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 21st 2005, 11:54 pm

Another TWoP shout out to MSCL! This time it's in the Veronica Mars recap:
He's got his history class divided into two teams, who are facing each other and rhythmically clapping and snapping. Adam Scott loudly wonders which of the two teams will win the "World History Review Roundup and Deathmatch": the "Age of Enlightenment Rock Stars," or the "Children of the Industrial Revolution." Well, if it's a deathmatch, you could come up with more appropriate names. "Crusaders" is a lot bloodier, and also a lot shorter, which is even more important. To me. Anyway, the kids are all having a grand old time in the tradition of Dead Poets Society (or so I'd imagine, because I've never seen it because I have always f***ing hated Robin Williams) or the My So-Called Life episode "The Substitute," which is undeniably my least favorite episode of that series. I wonder if this show can pull me out of the bad associations I have with this particular plotline.
15.22:
And now it's time for the Most Awesome Thing I Saw on TV Last Week. The most awesome thing I saw on TV last week was a television movie called Seduction in a Small Town, although the title isn't really appropriate because it wasn't really about a seduction, although it was set in a small town, so they get it half right. Anyway, Half-Pint Ingalls, her husband, and their two kids move from the big city back to the husband's hometown, and start farming. There's a lucrative venture. And Half-Pint has a heart condition and one kid has asthma, so for a while I thought it was going to be a movie about how farmers don't have health insurance, but apparently they were able to pay for doctor visits out of pocket or something.

So Half-Pint feels like an outsider, because it's a small town, so the residents are judgmental and gossipy, like people in big cities aren't also judgmental and gossipy. But Half-Pint was kind of a bitch, not to be judgmental and gossipy or anything. Although I am from a small town, so it's probably in my nature. But then a new woman moves to town, played by Joely Fisher, using a horrible Southern accent for no apparent reason, and Half-Pint befriends her because they are both outsiders.

So Joely Fisher has some sort of secret shady past, as you do, and she tries to seduce Half-Pint's husband, which I guess is the seduction of the title, but it's like five minutes out of the whole movie, and it doesn't work, so it's really more like character-building than a plot point. She is also creepily overly involved with Half-Pint's kids. The final straw comes when Joely asks Half-Pint and her hubby (let's just call him Manly) for some money, which they don't have to give, because Half-Pint claims that they have six mortgages on their home, like, what bank would approve mortgages #5 and #6? On a farm, where only Manly worked, as far as I could tell, so it clearly wasn't a big-time operation.

Anyway, Joely gets pissed off and reports Half-Pint to Social Services for child abuse, and she manages to talk the local harpies into swearing statements as well, because one time Half-Pint grabbed her son's arm outside the Piggly Wiggly to keep him from running into traffic. The Social Services woman is new to the job, and goes way overboard in trying to make the case, especially the scene where they totally botch confiscating the children and placing them in foster homes. It was like the FBI at Waco, and the Social Services lady was Janet Reno.

Anyway, if the director knew anything about pacing, that would have been the big conflict, and the movie would have been resolved about half an hour later, but instead there was all this crap where the kids came back, and then were confiscated again, and Half-Pint had to take two psych exams, and there was a lightning storm and Half-Pint's barn burned down, and whatever! Just get to the part where Joely Fisher is revealed to be a lunatic, people!

So then Half-Pint goes to Joely's hometown and finds out that she's a lunatic, and exposes her as such to the local harpies. And then the movie is STILL not over, because there's some rigmarole where Half-Pint can't get her kids back right away due to bureaucracy (always an exciting plot twist! Ooh, the tape, it is so red!) but she does get her kids back, and then the locals help her to rebuild her barn to make up for falsely accusing her of child abuse, and Half-Pint was still kind of a bitch about it, like, didn't Reverend Alden teach her about forgiveness between endless repetitions of "Bringing in the Sheaves"? So it was awesome.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 16th 2005, 11:59 pm

Pamie and Stee have been covering for Kim the past few weeks, so there haven't been any installments of TMATISOTTW. I was really hoping Kim would return for the RW season finale and use Spring Break Shark Attack as the last TMATISOTTW, but alas. There is, however, another MSCL shout out in this week's American Idol recaplet:
Let's all forget Scott Savol. For real. Great voice, got it, but every week, it becomes more obvious how untrained and imitative the whole deal really is, and I don't want to know. The voice is my Jordan Catalano, and every time it pops a mint or blinks out its Visine, it presents as the total slacker it really is, and my heart breaks. Go home! He sings "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" directly to Randy, who tells him it was "hot," and Paula and Simon just try to stay out of whatever the hell just happened.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 20th 2005, 8:33 pm

Hee, another MSCL shout out in the American Idol recap:
Also calculated (and wicked misguided): He also keeps doing the patented Angela Chase "hair behind the ear" move, and the awesome thing with that on her show was how she used it very intelligently at certain moments and it spoke volumes about her insecure teenage-girl sensibility. The troubling thing is that it does the same thing here.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Mar 30th 2005, 8:05 pm

Good call!

:lol:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Apr 4th 2005, 6:40 am

Man, they're everywhere:

From the American Idol recap this week:
It's "Something About The Way You Look Tonight," okay, which is smurfy anyway, but the arrangement is sort of, like, rollicking, while still totally boring, so you can't even groove to it as a generic Elton song, and he's belting his tiny ass off, and the general effect is that of being yelled at by my tiny blond dad for dressing slutty on my way out the door to Let's Bolt.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 4th 2005, 7:29 pm

Another MSCL shout out in the AI recap:
Constantine was obsessed with grunge, of course. Back in the nineties, I mean. Glad he's over that. Grunge is over, right? So take a shower. As if to prove that he's over the music if not the hygiene ethic of grunge, he sings…I can't believe what I'm hearing, but the song starts with some pretty distinctive broken chords, so…yeah, it's "I Can't Make You Love Me," perhaps the most perfect song of all time, by Bonnie Raitt. Man. I am angry before this s**t even starts. He begins seated and pensive, staring directly into your soul with his very dramatic eyeballs twitching. He runs the Angela Chase fingers through his teenage girl tresses again, and then some kind of tic happens in his left eye where he looks like he's stroking out. Anna's convinced this is on purpose because he thought it somehow made him look more sincere or something, which I totally buy because it's him, but I can't even consider any of this because it so totally looks like he's about to pass out. He stands up just in time to miss his lower register by like a fifth, and then he's making all these f***-me faces with one leg up like he's just clubbed and killed the Seal, and…he's very rubber-faced. It's all over the place. It's gross. He "feels the power," in particular, quite fiercely. It's really creepily aggressive and crazy and theatrical.

If he weren't on a stage, I guarantee you'd be so upset right now. Like, imagine if he were singing this way to you in the caf in some kind of crazy dramatic love maneuver. Say you're fairly-to-very popular, and you know very well that he is in scary stupid love with you, but you've tried to be nice, and now here comes fat stupid Constantine with his gross dirty hair and he's going to sing to you about how he can't make you love him. Where do your eyes go? Do you laugh? Cry? Look panicked at your friends? Flee? No, you're nice, so you have to sit there and look somehow both touched and resolute at the same time. And he hands you a rose towards the end, and it's like mashed up because he had it in his book bag, and you have to act like it's the most perfect rose of all time, while still maintaining a no-nonsense aura of not being open to dating him. And the song won't end, and his feelings are so deep and impressive and amazing that his face is doing all this scary unintended s**t, and all around you people are making these school shooting faces like they can't believe what's happening and have been paralyzed by fear and shame. Even the lunch ladies are like, "I knew he was erratic and a drama queen, but damn."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 6th 2005, 3:34 pm

A Mondo Extra - a recap of Spring Break Shark Attack! Not by Kim, as I had originally hoped, but awesome nonetheless.
Karen, Lindsay, and Alicia are setting up for their pre-party when random people start walking into the house through the open door. Instead of closing the door, they just stand there and watch as their small get-together turns into a giant bash. If only they were more familiar with the Rayanne Graff rule of party-planning, they would have known to expect this.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 8th 2005, 7:05 pm

MSCL shout out from a Veronica Mars recap:
And we haven't left the bathroom, as Veronica and Logan are going at it hot and heavy. Considering we've seen this room used and referred to as her office, she is opening herself up for a lecture about decorum in the workplace. Of course, said lecture would be inaudible over all the squealing and the swooning and rushing to get smelling salts this scene no doubt produced, so it doesn't seem like there's any point. Logan breaks the clinch, and Veronica breathlessly says that she blockaded the door and hung an "Out Of Order" sign. One of these days, a custodian's going to come in and get more than he bargained for. Logan says that a boy in a girls' bathroom is wrong. And here I thought he and Rickie Vasquez had so much in common.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jun 8th 2005, 12:48 am

here's another reference to MSCL from E!'s Watch with

http://www.eonline.com/Gossip/Kristin/T ... 0606b.html
From andrea: Has American Dreams been canceled or not?
Yes. So have Jack & Bobby, Joan of Arcadia, Judging Amy and My So-Called Life.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 6th 2005, 4:23 am

Sheeeeee's baaaaack! The Austin Real World season has begun, which means new installments of The Most Awesome Thing I Saw on TV This Week!

Baywatch!
And now it's time for the Most Awesome Thing I Saw On TV Last Week. The most awesome thing I saw on TV last week was a television movie called Talk to Me starring Ms. Yasmine Bleeth as a naïve talk-show producer who joins the production staff for a Jerry Springer-esque talk show. The Jerry Springer character was played, of course, by Peter Scolari. Because, why not?

So anyway, Ms. Yasmine Bleeth got taken under the wing of the senior producer, played by Veronica Hamel with an awesome '80s permed bob. I totally had that hairstyle in eighth grade! So Ms. Yasmine Bleeth needs to come up with her own episode idea, and she decides to follow up on a previous episode they had done on prostitutes, and investigate the prostitutes' families and find out how they became whores and s**t.

So the one whore she decides to investigate further is played by Jenny Lewis of Rilo Kiley fame! And she's all addicted to heroin and has a scuzzy pimp boyfriend and her mom and grandmother want her to get help, but she won't. And Ms. Yasmine Bleeth keeps compromising her principles more and more and finally Jenny Lewis commits suicide and Ms. Yasmine Bleeth blames herself, which she should because it was totally her fault.

So Ms. Yasmine Bleeth quits the show, and in the end, she finds out that Peter Scolari has already contacted the mother and grandmother to do a follow-up show, and Ms. Yasmine Bleeth is all disenchanted, like, you work in the entertainment industry, so just give up your ideals and youthful enthusiasm and start smoking a pack a day and become cynical like the rest of us. Which is awesome.
90210!
And now it's time for the Most Awesome Thing I Saw on TV Last Week. The most awesome thing I saw on TV last week was every episode of Beverly Hills, 90210 on Soapnet. I watch it every weekday! Right now, they are in the episodes just before Brenda leaves the show.

So Andrea is totally having a premature baby, which I think they had to do because they didn't make Andrea pregnant on the show until Gabrielle Carteris was about twenty months pregnant already, so they had to have Andrea give birth prematurely or else it would be really obvious. And my favorite thing to do after every one of Andrea's lines is yell, "Because you're forty!" I can't believe she got hired for the role.

And then Steve was dating crazy Laura, the actress who tried to commit suicide in the theater. And Brandon and Kelly are totally cuckolding Dylan, and Dylan's fake stepmother is scamming him, and every day Brenda has a different hairstyle and hair color, and David is singing with Babyface and making out with Ariel in a limo, and Steve is wearing hightops everywhere in case a basketball game breaks out, and Nat is whatever and Jim and Cindy are whatever and I know that pretty soon, Val shows up and I can't wait for her first episode where you think she's all nice and sweet and then at the end she SMOKES POT! I was so scandalized the first time I saw that episode. And it was awesome.