Angel

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Oct 26th 2004, 7:54 pm

Grrr, argh...

:(
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 31st 2004, 7:35 pm

News from tvshowsondvd:
In the final season, Angel has finally emerged from 200 years of darkness, but the fine line between good and evil is harder to see than ever!

That's the tag line for Angel - The Complete 5th Season, which Fox is announcing this Halloween weekend (how appropriate!) for an in-store date of February 15, 2005. Fox's information shows that this will be released in 16x9 Anamorphic Widescreen, which is what we would expect (please read the "Video" section of our 4th Season review, as well as Creator Joss Whedon's statement for more details). Sound is in Dolby Digital Surround 2.0 for each of the English, French, and Spanish soundtracks provided. Also found are English and Spanish subtitles.

List price is $59.98 (CAN$89.98 in Canada), for 990 minutes that cover 22 episodes. Among those, look for a special re-appearance by Charisma Carpenter as Cordelia. Fox Home Entertainment hasn't sent out the cover art yet (stay tuned for that), but here is the disc-by-disc breakdown of episodes and announced extras:

Disc 1:
"Conviction" (Part 1) - Commentary by Writer/Director Joss Whedon
"Just Rewards" (Part 2)
"Unleashed"
"Hell Bound"
Featurette: "Hey Kids! It's Smile Time!"

Disc 2:
"Life of the Party"
"The Cautionary Tale of Nemero Cinco"
"Lineage"
"Destiny" - Commentary by Director Skip Schoolnik, Writers David Fury and Steven S. DeKnight and Juliet Landau

Disc 3:
"Harm's Way"
"Soul Purpose" - Commentary by Director / Actor David Boreanaz, Writer Brent Fletcher, Christian Kane
"Damage"

Disc 4:
"You're Welcome" - Commentary by Director / Actor David Fury, Christian Kane and Sarah Thompson
"Why We Fight"
"Smile Time"
"A Hole In The World" - Commentary by Writer/Director Joss Whedon, Amy Acker, Alexis Denisof
Featurette: "Angel 100"

Disc 5:
"Shells"
"Underneath" - Commentary by Director Skip Schoolnik, Writer Elizabeth Craft, Writer Sarah Fain and Adam Baldwin
"Origin"
"Time Bomb"
Featurette: "Angel: Choreography of a Stunt"

Disc 6:
"The Girl in Question"
"Power Play"
"Not Fade Away" - Commentary by Co-Writer/Director Jeffrey Bell
Featurettes:
"Angel: The Final Season" (27:15)
"To Live & Die in L.A.: The Best of Angel" (8:48)
"Halos and Horns: Recurring Villainy" (9:22)
"Angel Unbound: The Gag Reels" (8:51)
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 6th 2004, 3:33 am

candygirl wrote:
lance wrote:I too am enjoying the Uber-Smurf & the the planet of shrimp.
I laughed so hard when she said that because it reminded me of this scene in Triangle:

ANYA: It's possible that he's in the land of perpetual Wednesday ... or the crazy melty land ... or, you know, the world without shrimp.

TARA: There's a world without shrimp? (Willow looks at her) I'm allergic.
For some reason, I just remembered this quote from Superstar today:

BUFFY: Anya when you were a demon, you granted wishes right?

ANYA: Vengeance wishes on ex-boyfriends. I'd wish he was a dog or ugly or in love with President McKinley or something.

BUFFY: But someone could wish the whole world to be different, right? That's possible?

ANYA: Sure, alternate realities. You could, uh, could have like a world without shrimp. Or with, you know, nothing but shrimp. You could even make like a freaky world where Jonathan's some kind of not perfect mouth breather if that's what's blowing up your skirt these days. Just don't ask me to live there! Now if I, uh, could just have book back you could be on your way someplace else?

(later)

BUFFY: Anya tell them about the alternate universes.

ANYA: Oh, okay. Umm. Say you really like shrimp a lot. Or we could say you don't like shrimp at all. Blah, I wish there weren't any shrimp, you would say to yourself.

BUFFY: Stop, you're saying it wrong! I think that Jonathan may be doing something so that he's manipulating the world and we're all like his pawns.

ANYA: Or prawns.

BUFFY: Stop with the shrimp I am trying to do something here!

:lol:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 10th 2004, 12:27 am

You can now view the cover art here.

ETA: There is a bigger picture of the cover here.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 10th 2004, 3:17 am

D'oh! I forgot to add that Charisma Carpenter will be appearing on this Wednesday's episode of LAX. She will be playing Heather Locklear's sister.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Nov 28th 2004, 10:00 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the heads up on Season 5 on DVD. Christmas is coming!!!!!! I wanted to start a new topic but I'll just throw it in here: has anybody been watching "Coprock" reruns on Trio????? ( I think it was Trio... :? ... or was it Bravo?) These are too much. I remember watching this show in it's original run and thinking W.T.F.??????? Am I sick for laughing my ass off at this show? The only thing Trio didn't do was run the clips of Beavis and Butthead goofing on the show back in the day. This show had to be THE WORST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 9th 2005, 9:28 pm

Track listing for the Angel soundtrack being released in the UK on February 21 from slayerverse:
Angel Main Theme - "The Sanctuary Extended Remix"
2 Start The Apocalypse
3 The End Of The World
4 Massive Assault
5 Home
6 Hero
7 Judgment & Jousting
8 The Birth Of Angelus
9 Rebellion
10 The Trials For Darla
11 Dreaming Of Darla
12 Untouched - Darla's Fire
13 Darla's Sacrifice
14 Welcome To PYLEA
15 Through The Looking Glass
16 Castle Attack
17 Cordy Meets Fred
18 Princess Cordelia
19 Farewell Cordelia
20 I'm Game
21 Touched
22 LA Song
23 Lady Marmalade
24 It's Not Easy Being Green
25 A Place Called Home

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 19th 2005, 4:39 am

Composer Robert Kral posted a message at the buffy.nu board saying that the Angel soundtrack will be released in the US on February 14, the same day as the UK release.
Track listing according to amazon.co.uk:
1. Angel Main Theme – “The Sanctuary Extended Remix” - performed by Darling Violetta
2. Start The Apocalypse
3. The End Of The World
4. Massive Assault
5. Home
6. Hero – featuring vocals by Elin Carlson
7. Judgment & Jousting
8. The Birth of Angelus – featuring vocals by Elin Carlson
9. Rebellion
10. The Trials for Darla
11. Dreaming of Darla
12. Untouched / Darla’s Fire
13. Darla’s Sacrifice
14. Welcome To PYLEA
15. Through The Looking Glass
16. Castle Attack
17. Cordy Meets Fred
18. Princess Cordelia
19. Farewell Cordelia
20. I’m Game – by Christophe Beck
21. Touched – performed by Vast
22. LA Song – performed by Christian Kane
23. Lady Marmalade - performed by Andy Hallett
24. It’s Not Easy Being Green - performed by Andy Hallett
25. A Place Called Home – performed Kim Richey

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 22nd 2005, 4:59 pm

Congrats to Amy Acker, who gave birth to her son Jackson James Carpinello!

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 24th 2005, 7:28 pm

candygirl wrote:Congrats to Amy Acker, who gave birth to her son Jackson James Carpinello!
Woohooo!

:D

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 17th 2005, 4:27 pm

I bought S5 on DVD on Tuesday, and like many other fans, it saddened me to know that I was buying the last piece of the Jossverse television universe. The featurettes are pretty good, but they just made me realize how much I miss the show. *sigh*

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 18th 2005, 1:20 am

candygirl wrote:I bought S5 on DVD on Tuesday, and like many other fans, it saddened me to know that I was buying the last piece of the Jossverse television universe. The featurettes are pretty good, but they just made me realize how much I miss the show. *sigh*
Yeah I picked it up on Tuesday as well... of course my first one had a broken hub and two floaters... sigh.

It is sad, but thankfully I am only just starting on S4 so I still have a while to go until it is over. I am going to miss these shows, there are no other series available that suck you into the show as much as Angel, Firefly and Buffy did/do.

Summoned
Tino

Post by Summoned » Feb 20th 2005, 11:37 pm

I picked up the Season 5 DVD's this week as well, and finished watching them this evening. Much to my surprise, I liked it quite a bit more than watching it during the original airing. As far as I can tell I was so bitter about the last episode of Season 4 ("Home") that it actually affected my enjoyment of the entire remainder of the series. At least until now. For better or worse, I am more or less at peace with what happened in Season 5, which is kind of interesting to me, since accepting what one has instead of what one wishes might have been does mirror certain aspects of the premise of Angel and Co. accepting jobs with Wolfram & Hart.
Daydreaming days in a daydream nation

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Feb 21st 2005, 9:47 pm

I wasn't a huge fan of Angel, though I did try to watch most episodes. I think overall that season 5 was weaker, but it had stronger single episodes. if that makes sense. I think this season suffered in the same way that Buffy's season 3 suffered: too many characters spread too thin. Angel had a nice ensemble cast, and when they were split, it weakened the show.

I liked how they made a big issue of Angel trying to come to terms with his decision of joining the firm. and I think that Spike brought out what I liked about Angel in Buffy. personality. I was just starting to get interested in the show, when it was cancelled. :(

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 22nd 2005, 5:26 pm

emmie wrote:I think overall that season 5 was weaker, but it had stronger single episodes. if that makes sense.
I do remember something about Fox asking them to make the S5 episodes more stand-alone.
I think this season suffered in the same way that Buffy's season 3 suffered: too many characters spread too thin. Angel had a nice ensemble cast, and when they were split, it weakened the show.
I agree. I understand that they were trying to illustrate how the group was coming apart while at Wolfram & Hart, but it made the show less enjoyable than previous seasons. For example, I like Lorne and I'm glad they kept him on the show for so long, but he had almost no screen time during S5 (you know, as opposed to S4 when he spent most of his time getting hit on the head). And although I found Harmony somewhat amusing, the strange explanation that Wes gave for hiring her seemed, well, strange. The last time she was here, she betrayed us all, so let's give her a job!
Summoned wrote:I picked up the Season 5 DVD's this week as well, and finished watching them this evening. Much to my surprise, I liked it quite a bit more than watching it during the original airing.
I have found that watching the season DVDs in a more compressed amount of time helps me enjoy the show more, especially if it's a season I don't like as much. I thought I really disliked BtVS S4, but when I watched the whole season on DVD over a week or so, I like it a lot more than when it's streched out over eight loooong months. I think this is partly because when the networks string us along with one new episode then a bunch of reruns, it's harder to keep the momentum going. It's not that we all forget major plot points or anything, just that it makes more sense to see them in rapid succession instead of giving us two new episodes over two months. The show has more impact for me when watched over a shorter period of time. I think the other reason that the shows seem better when I watch them quickly on DVD is that since I already know what is going to happen, I can look for more clues. In addition, sometimes things make more sense the second time around. And then there's BtVS S7 which may never make sense.