So, what are you doing for MSCL's 10th Anniversary?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Meghan
Frozen Embryo

Oh to have seen this show in it's day

Post by Meghan » Aug 26th 2004, 1:10 am

I have a huge confession to make, the first time i saw My so called life was two days ago, monday, yeah i know. it's horribly sad but unfortunatly i was 9 when the show aired and i think perhaps that would not have gone over well with the 'rents.
anyway i was shocked to learn the truth, only one season? 19 Episodes, that's crazy i thought, it's so good!
now you must understand while i always knew the show had existed and that the critics liked it, i never really wanted to go out of my way to see it, until a encore airing of the top 100 things that made the 90's rule , and i saw a young Jared Leto
MY GOD, he was FINE!
Sign me up i screamed at the TV and hurridly checked online to see if the dvd's were available in Canada
Alas no, but yet fortune smiled and the family channel decided to air all the episodes for the tenth anniversary

but after seeing three shows i was hooked, and eagerly awaited the airing of subsequent episodes, i was psyched!
then i learned of the show's cruel fate, how it was yanked out in it's prime against the wishes of fans everywhere

but then i was reminded of something else that happened in 1994

Kurt Cobain Died

and the world felt cheated. But now 10 years after his death, nearly 40 years after the death of various icons of the 60's and 70's, People began to speculate that it was better that way, they died when the world loved them, could they have gone on to make amazing music? probably. But would they eventually become something unrecognizable? Much like a very famous singer who was amazing in the 50's but died well after his prime in 77? that too was probable.

so i dont think of My So-Called Life as a TV show that disapointed the World when it last only one season, or just barely with only 19 episodes

it was more like a Miniseries

a series of hour long sections of a great story with no real ending but the message was recieved, very well recieved by the looks of this website

So heres to the most amazing Miniseries ever made

Happy Anniversary

P.S. any word on when this masterful Miniseries will be available in my humble region of Canada, just slightly left of center?

thanks, ciao bebe

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 26th 2004, 1:21 am

The DVD set was released in November 2002. The set is no longer in production, so if you can find it, buy it. Most of the online retailers no longer have MSCL in stock anymore (which is not surprising seeing as it has been almost almost two years), so ebay might be your best bet.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

muruch
Nicky Driscoll

Post by muruch » Aug 26th 2004, 2:05 pm

Thanks for taking the time to read my story. Not many have made it all the way through alive. ;) The MSCL list has spawned 7 married couples (we were the 3rd), a few babies, and countless relationships and friendships. Mine was just one of the more dramatic!
Muruch 'thanks a lot, big brain' -kurt vonnegut

irishguy
Frozen Embryo

Post by irishguy » Aug 26th 2004, 4:54 pm

You can read the same so-called love story from the boy's perspective here :).
I can't imagine any TV show changing as many lives as MSCL has.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Aug 26th 2004, 5:35 pm

muruch wrote:Thanks for taking the time to read my story. Not many have made it all the way through alive. ;) The MSCL list has spawned 7 married couples (we were the 3rd), a few babies, and countless relationships and friendships. Mine was just one of the more dramatic!
Wow. I had no idea. No idea at all. How cool.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

EWU MSCL fan
Overlooked Sibling

Post by EWU MSCL fan » Jan 27th 2005, 4:12 am

It's now hard to believe that it has been more than 10 years since ABC aired the last episode of My So-Called Life. It was gone before we ever got to really see the characters grow up.

dancebythelightofthemoon
Tino

Post by dancebythelightofthemoon » Feb 19th 2005, 4:26 am

The DVDs should have been released in 99 or 2000 the first time. A special 10th anniversary DVD release would have been perfect for 2004 :( 8)
It hurts to look at you

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 19th 2005, 5:48 am

dancebythelightofthemoon wrote:The DVDs should have been released in 99 or 2000 the first time.
The first DVD release of the pilot, Dancing in the Dark, and Guns & Gossip was released in June 2000. The complete series was released on DVD in November 2002.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Mutajon
Let's Bolt Regular

Re:

Post by Mutajon » Jul 10th 2011, 2:11 pm

Natasha (candygirl) wrote:FYI - muruch posted about meeting her husband in this thread. You can read the story at her website.

:love
Dang! Another link to a long-dead site...
I'm so happy I found out about this site (mscl.com), which is an AMAZING treasure house for all things MSCL. So much to read and find out about the show, simply great. But damn is it annoying coming across so many dead links that supposedly once led to some great stuff... :?
I realize this is no ones fault of course, and only natural for a site that has been around for so long... Just wanted to let the frustration out :) :P

P.S
Speaking of the mailing list, is it still active?

P.P.S
Speaking of the 10th anniversary of MSCL, its pretty scary stuff but we're already getting close to the 20th anniversary!! Somebody press the pause button!
"Aaaand dance by the light of the mooooon"

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: So, what are you doing for MSCL's 10th Anniversary?

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 11th 2011, 5:29 am

I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find any seven year old links that still lead to active pages. :wink: Many of the websites that have been around that long (like TWoP, for example) have revamped, redesigned, renamed, and moved stuff around over the years so although the content still exists, you have to look for it. Anything that you really want to find might be found with google though!