Tru Calling

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Aug 29th 2004, 10:54 pm

fnordboy wrote:I am going to have to set this show in my tivo. I never was interested in it too much, but now that I am a full blown Buffy/Angel fan (thanks to you bastards!) I might have to give it a chance. I'll test a few eps out and see if I like it, then maybe go for the DVD set. :P
:rofl:

Glad we could corrupt, I mean enlighten you.

-LanceMan

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

bad news

Post by Sascha » Sep 15th 2004, 6:36 am

Bad, bad news:
Variety.com wrote: Fox nips 'Tru' in the bud

Sun Sep 12, 9:17 PM ET

Josef Adalian, STAFF

Fox is cutting back on "Tru Calling" before the show's second season even begins.

Net Monday announced that the skein won't premiere as planned on Thursday, Nov. 4. Instead, the timeslot will be filled by Hawaii sudser "North Shore."

What Fox didn't announce, however, is that the net seems ready to scale back the production order on the Eliza Dushku (news) starrer from 13 segs to just six episodes. Decision could be a death blow to the 20th Century Fox TV/Original show, insiders conceded.

Fox execs made much of the decision to bring back "Tru" for a second season, hailing the call as evidence of the net's willingness to be patient and give shows with potential time to find an audience. It's the same rationale the net used to pick up season two of the critically-hailed "Arrested Development."

What's more, Fox execs are said to have liked the direction "Tru" writers have taken in early season two episodes.

So why the change of heart? Insiders said simple economics may have played a role.

With "American Idol" set to invade Fox's sked again come January, and reality skeins such as "Renovate My Family" and "Trading Spouses" off to a strong start, net may not want to spend the coin on a full order of "Tru," insiders claim. That's particularly true now that Fox has ordered "Point Pleasant" (also from 20th/Original) for a possible early 2005 bow.

But there's also evidence senior News Corp. management believes that "Tru" may simply be too narrow in its appeal, and that the skein will never be able to break out. While scaling back to six episodes is not the same as canceling a show, it's rarely a good sign.

One caveat: Some industry insiders believe there's still a shot "Tru" could produce its full 13-episode order, if only because under some scenarios, making the shows might be cheaper than not doing so. There's also a chance Fox might try the show on Friday night, some insiders said.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... _the_bud_1

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Tru Calling

Post by lance » Sep 16th 2004, 12:16 am

Man,

Just when I have something to look forward to on TV....

:evil:

Well on the glass-is-half full side of things, Fox changed their mind once maybe they will do so again.

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 30th 2004, 4:16 am

I read an online rumor that the WB might pick up Tru Calling. You never know. In the mean time, tvshowsondvd has a picture of the DVD cover art here.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Oct 1st 2004, 11:10 pm

candygirl wrote:I read an online rumor that the WB might pick up Tru Calling. You never know. In the mean time, tvshowsondvd has a picture of the DVD cover art here.
Ahhh nice, November 30th can't come soon enough. Thanks for the pic.

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 9th 2004, 8:59 pm

You can view pictures of the S2 Tru Calling season finale here.

More news about the show moving to the WB here:
Is Tru Calling moving to the WB?

Those ex-Sunnydalers don't have much luck do they?

Whisper has it that FOX might be done with Eliza Dushku's popular series "Tru Calling, with a report at E Online suggesting that it's being pitched to the WB. Ironically, the WB network was the first home of "Buffy", the series Dusku originally starred in.

The series, which co-stars Jason Priestley, was scheduled to debut its second season Nov. 4, but FOX decided to yank it at the last minute - saying they'll bring it back later.

From the sounds of it, FOX aren't very interested in the series. Which could mean a 'win win' for the WB (a network in need of another hit).

Good news for Australian viewers. The show returns tonight (Ch.7) after being prematurely yanked after only a couple of episodes earlier in the year.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Oct 10th 2004, 6:15 pm

Good news. I think Tru Calling will be good for the WB.

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 19th 2005, 5:15 am

According to this article, Fox has finally admitted that Tru Calling is over:
Gail Berman, president of entertainment at Fox, confirmed to reporters that the supernatural series Tru Calling won't be coming back—but she added that six as-yet-unaired second-season episodes will eventually see the light of day. "We finished six episodes of Tru Calling, and we anticipate putting them on air at some point," Berman told reporters at Fox's winter press tour Jan. 17 in Universal City, Calif.

Berman added that the upcoming supernatural series Point Pleasant was the deciding factor in pulling Tru Calling from the schedule. "What changed for us was when we saw Point Pleasant, we really felt we had a show that was incredibly compatible with The O.C.," Berman said. "So our thoughts changed, not so much about Tru Calling, but the possibility of not only having an exciting show and a winner at 8 o'clock, but also something that could really make headway for us at 9 o'clock in an incredibly competitive time period."

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 21st 2005, 12:10 am

candygirl wrote:According to this article, Fox has finally admitted that Tru Calling is over:
Gail Berman, president of entertainment at Fox, confirmed to reporters that the supernatural series Tru Calling won't be coming back—but she added that six as-yet-unaired second-season episodes will eventually see the light of day. "We finished six episodes of Tru Calling, and we anticipate putting them on air at some point," Berman told reporters at Fox's winter press tour Jan. 17 in Universal City, Calif.

Berman added that the upcoming supernatural series Point Pleasant was the deciding factor in pulling Tru Calling from the schedule. "What changed for us was when we saw Point Pleasant, we really felt we had a show that was incredibly compatible with The O.C.," Berman said. "So our thoughts changed, not so much about Tru Calling, but the possibility of not only having an exciting show and a winner at 8 o'clock, but also something that could really make headway for us at 9 o'clock in an incredibly competitive time period."
(Deep sigh)

Well I will look forward to seeing those episodes, at least.

-LanceMan

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 17th 2005, 6:25 pm

After watching the first two episodes of the second season of "Tru Calling" (now airing in New Zealand) I really can't understand why FOX replaced "Tru" with "Point Pleasant". Okay, "Tru Calling" was crappy in the first half of its first season (even crappier than "Point Pleasant") but it really changed towards the end of the season. And the beginning of season 2 is actually really good and promising. There's an interesting story arc, I even enjoy Jason Priestley's character.

Looking at FOX' track record with good shows, I guess now is a good time to already start a "Save Our Show" campaign for the new FOX / Tim Minear drama "The Inside" which will premiere later this spring... ;-)

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 22nd 2005, 11:13 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:After watching the first two episodes of the second season of "Tru Calling" (now airing in New Zealand) I really can't understand why FOX replaced "Tru" with "Point Pleasant". Okay, "Tru Calling" was crappy in the first half of its first season (even crappier than "Point Pleasant") but it really changed towards the end of the season. And the beginning of season 2 is actually really good and promising. There's an interesting story arc, I even enjoy Jason Priestley's character.

Looking at FOX' track record with good shows, I guess now is a good time to already start a "Save Our Show" campaign for the new FOX / Tim Minear drama "The Inside" which will premiere later this spring... ;-)
Yeah,

I have ceased trying to understand Fox's programming decisions. I save money on Advil.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Tru Calling & Best Buy

Post by lance » May 1st 2005, 3:37 pm

Good News & Bad News:

Good news: According to TV Shows on DVD.com Tru Calling Season 2 is avaiable for exclusive pre-order from Best Buy for release on August 2nd.

Bad News:

:evil:

*WARNING*
If you preorder from Best Buy a hold will be placed on your credit card until release of the product. If you don't mind not having that credit around for other uses for the next three months no big deal. For those of us who live closer to the margin though its a pretty ridiculous policy. Especially considering Amazon's policy of not charging your credit card, until the product ships.

Just FYI,

LanceMan

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 2nd 2005, 10:21 am

cduniverse.com has it already listed for $20.99 -- they call it "EXCLUSIVE" too :-)

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.a ... id=6863989

Anyway, better wait until August before ordering. Even $21 seems to me a bit too much for just 6 episodes. I guess the price will drop some more.