what to do about VD

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

what to do about VD

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 11th 2005, 5:08 pm

That's Valentine's Day! I know we talked about the holiday a little bit in this thread, but I thought we could talk about Valentine's Day plans - romantic or otherwise.

As I said in the aforementioned thread, my boyfriend and I celebrate our anniversary at the beginning of the the month, so we don't make a huge deal out of Valentine's Day. Tonight we are going to see a burlesque show with the Lollies, tomorrow we are going to a Nina Hartley event, and then Monday we are going to see a staging of The Vagina Monologues. One of the things I love about living here is that they have alternatives to the usual candlelit dinner Valentine's Day!

I read The Vagina Monologues a few years ago and have always wanted to see it done live, but I tend to forget about it until it's too late to get tickets and then make a mental note to remember the next year. For anyone who is interested in finding a local staging, go to http://www.vday.org
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Feb 11th 2005, 5:50 pm

What to do about VD?
:shock:
Um, penicillin?

I know, I'm naughty. I recommend tea candles to any guy in a relationship, they look great and they are 20 for a buck. This year I'll probably be downtown looking for someone lonely who needs, um, "reasurance". But there is a girl with whom I've been trying to meet up with. She's scheduled to call on Sunday, perhaps it might work out to do something together Monday night, but it's rather cliche. Either way, it'll be a bottle of wine and a movie kind of thing, regardless what night it occurs on.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 11th 2005, 6:16 pm

Hee - remember when VD was the acronym of choice, way before STD became the politically correct term?

NM knows what's going on - tea lights are the way to go! I buy the 50 pack at Ikea so that I am always prepared for any occasions that might require candlelight. Very handy considering that our power usually goes out at least once a year due to a storm (or construction crews).

A movie sounds good. I have neglected my Netflix list, so when I sent our last movie back on Monday, I forgot to see what would be coming to our house for the weekend. Instead of a light romantic comedy, our Valentine's Day movie choices are now Cruel Intentions, Unfaithful, or 25th Hour.

:oops:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Feb 11th 2005, 7:17 pm

snerk VD! :lol:

we go out as a family so it's me the hubby and the two rugrats. It's very low key, we exchange cards and maybe a tiny gift. nothing fancy schmantsy
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Feb 11th 2005, 7:27 pm

candygirl wrote: A movie sounds good. I have neglected my Netflix list, so when I sent our last movie back on Monday, I forgot to see what would be coming to our house for the weekend. Instead of a light romantic comedy, our Valentine's Day movie choices are now Cruel Intentions, Unfaithful, or 25th Hour.

:oops:
or maybe those might work for ya. Cruel Intentions and Unfaithful have a few scenes that might get you in the mood. :twisted:

myself? well, I'll be studying for contemporary art. this class is simply killing me! ha ha. you know, I've never been in a relationship on valentine's day. always right before, or right after. no matter, as I posted in the other thread, I'm not too fond of the "holiday."

oh, but a good date movie to see is A Very Long Engagement. (where my new avatar comes from) I just saw it last night and it's great. made by the same director and cinematographer as Amelie. so if it is still out in you area, take advantage. both males and females will like it. and it's not sappy, so that's a plus.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 11th 2005, 8:12 pm

Every Saturday night my boyfriend and I make a new different meal together - no boxes or packets! So, we will probably do that. He's saying he wants to go to a restaurant, but I don't think we have the money for that (college students, you know). But our usual Saturday night thing is fine with me. We don't have to do anything out of the ordinary. He's coming to my concert tonight, so maybe we'll go out for a drink after.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

special_k
Yearbook Team
Location: Closer to here than there, in the land between dreaming and waking...

Post by special_k » Feb 12th 2005, 12:21 am

Possibly a glass of chilled merlot and a conversation with a friend.
"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong, and those are the ones that change your life."

Jessie, "Once and Again"

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 12th 2005, 7:04 pm

The burlseque show was awesome! It's funny - I used to be the shy kind of person who would sit in the back, but now I look for the closest spot to the front (could just be my increasingly bad vision that prompts me to do this). I love sitting in the front now! And it definitely has its privileges - one dancer fed my boyfriend chocolate during her act, another dancer put some chocolate down my shirt, and they brought us onstage to dance at the end of the show. It was lots of fun and the band was great!

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Feb 13th 2005, 10:45 pm

Damn, your BF is a lucky man!

:-P
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 15th 2005, 5:04 am

Sadly, we had to skip the Nina Hartley event on Saturday due to Yahoo giving us crappy directions which dumped us onto the wrong freeway going in the opposite direction, which got us stuck in traffic on an overpass without any exit for miles.

:(

We thought it would be fun to bring a picture of us with Nina to his uncle's birthday party because she is an old friend of his.

:mrgreen:

C'est la vie!

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 15th 2005, 9:40 am

Yesterday the weather was absolutely beautiful here in KC, and I was at my apartment composing around 4pm when my bf called me and asked me if I wanted to go for a walk since it was so nice out. We took a walk around a park nearby our apartments and he made me a simple pasta dinner after. It was impromptu and sweet... and free! One of the best v-day surprises I've had. I was just expecting to compose all evening and do nothing romantic. :D
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 16th 2005, 8:48 pm

Kristin wrote:Yesterday the weather was absolutely beautiful here in KC, and I was at my apartment composing around 4pm when my bf called me and asked me if I wanted to go for a walk since it was so nice out. We took a walk around a park nearby our apartments and he made me a simple pasta dinner after. It was impromptu and sweet... and free! One of the best v-day surprises I've had. I was just expecting to compose all evening and do nothing romantic. :D
Woohoo!

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 17th 2005, 7:47 pm

We don't make a big deal out of VD (heh), so we my husband surprised me with dinner (he made fondue) and we watched our shows together.

I miss when I was living at home. My dad would get my mom a dozen roses, and he would get a single rose for each of my sisters and me. :D
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."