Joan of Arcadia - a new show w/similarities

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 16th 2004, 2:00 am

In The Cat, we learn that Will intended to go to cooking school - I am going to interpret that as a MSCL shout out!

:lol:

Hee, especially since there was a Shakespeare sonnet referenced in this episode too.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 19th 2004, 3:34 pm

News from tvshowsondvd:
Late last month we posted this news item, where we told our readers that, despite rumors, CBS and distributor Paramount did not yet have plans to release Joan of Arcadia on DVD.

Now we have word directly from Paramount that this show is indeed on the schedule for 2005! Something changed during the past few weeks...indeed, probably in the past few days, because this title has just appeared on the studio's tentative 2005 schedule since last Thursday.

CBS/Paramount is working on plans to get two sets out during the 2005 year: a 1st Season set in the first part of the year, and then around mid-to-late September they want to put out the 2nd Season on DVD to help promote the following season of the show.

Please remember that this is very early word, and quite subject to change. Stay tuned, and we'll let you know more just as soon as we can!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jan 7th 2005, 10:36 pm

I caught tonight's episode, though I don't know if it was a rerun or a new eppy. in any case, it was good. I especially liked how Joan and her brother became obsessed with the rock/paper/scissors game. it reminded me of something me and my co-workers would do. hee

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 9th 2005, 9:17 pm

It was a new episode - I had a little MSCL flashback when "Everybody Hurts" began playing, but I was cracking up over the absurdity of it all.

Next week is a rerun of The Election, and then there will be a new episode the week after that. Two weeks in a row of Amber Tamblyn singing - hee!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 12th 2005, 12:08 am

CBS just switched the order so this week will be a new episode (Queen of the Zombies) and next week will be a rerun (The Election). Still two weeks of singing Joan!

:mrgreen:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 15th 2005, 10:05 pm

How weird is it that almost every show I watch featured singing this week? Teri Hatcher on Desperate Housewives, Kristin Bell on Veronica Mars, Peter Gallagher on The O.C., and Amber Tamblyn on Joan of Arcadia! If only Charlie had sung on Lost this week. Wait, does hearing a Driveshaft song on Alias count?

:wink:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 25th 2005, 2:51 am

In next week's issue of TV Guide (January 30 - February 5), there is a pretty long (well, for TV Guide) article about JoA. There isn't a link yet since this week's issue is still on their website, so here's what it says:
Is There Trouble in Arcadia?
by Mary Murphy

Amber Tamblyn is in a snit. Maybe it's because she didn't get a Golden Globe nomination this season. Maybe it's because her once hot CBS series, Joan of Arcadia, is attracting just 8.4 million viewers each week - down from an average of 10 million last season.

Whatever the reason, Tamblyn is clearly unhappy. In a candid interview, the 21 year old actress talked about her complaints with the direction the show is taking. "Joan is digressing," Tamblyn says of her character, an average - if slightly flaky - teenager who has conversations with the Almighty (in the form of a variety of everyday people). "Joan is backtracking. Joan is more confused.... She learns something in [one] episode, but then she seems to redo [her mistakes] in another, so she never seems to learn anything. I'm not really sure where the growth is."

More than that, "Joan's life is tough," Tamblyn insists. "Her reactions are not as hard as they should be. I want to see her more challenged. The producers know how I feel."

Indeed they do. In December Tamblyn met with producers to push them to take the show in a darker direction. "The reality is that we are a family show and we have been getting a lot of critical praise this season, even though the numbers have waivered," executive producer Stephen Nathan says. Nathan is also quick to piont out that "creative differences between producers and actors on a series is the norm and we think Amber is a phenomenal talent."

CBS declined to comment on Tamblyn's complaints. But if they won't talk to us, they'd better talk to their Emmy nominated star. "I like to be challenged," Tamblyn says. "If I am not challenged, I get bored. I am here today and I could be gone tomorrow. That could be my choice."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 26th 2005, 8:53 am

candygirl wrote:In next week's issue of TV Guide (January 30 - February 5), there is a pretty long (well, for TV Guide) article about JoA. There isn't a link yet since this week's issue is still on their website, so here's what it says:
Is There Trouble in Arcadia?
by Mary Murphy

Amber Tamblyn is in a snit. Maybe it's because she didn't get a Golden Globe nomination this season. Maybe it's because her once hot CBS series, Joan of Arcadia, is attracting just 8.4 million viewers each week - down from an average of 10 million last season.

Whatever the reason, Tamblyn is clearly unhappy. In a candid interview, the 21 year old actress talked about her complaints with the direction the show is taking. "Joan is digressing," Tamblyn says of her character, an average - if slightly flaky - teenager who has conversations with the Almighty (in the form of a variety of everyday people). "Joan is backtracking. Joan is more confused.... She learns something in [one] episode, but then she seems to redo [her mistakes] in another, so she never seems to learn anything. I'm not really sure where the growth is."

More than that, "Joan's life is tough," Tamblyn insists. "Her reactions are not as hard as they should be. I want to see her more challenged. The producers know how I feel."

Indeed they do. In December Tamblyn met with producers to push them to take the show in a darker direction. "The reality is that we are a family show and we have been getting a lot of critical praise this season, even though the numbers have waivered," executive producer Stephen Nathan says. Nathan is also quick to piont out that "creative differences between producers and actors on a series is the norm and we think Amber is a phenomenal talent."

CBS declined to comment on Tamblyn's complaints. But if they won't talk to us, they'd better talk to their Emmy nominated star. "I like to be challenged," Tamblyn says. "If I am not challenged, I get bored. I am here today and I could be gone tomorrow. That could be my choice."
From whom have we heard things like this before?
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 15th 2005, 4:34 am

Amber's mom comments on the TV Guide article:
Sorry for the alarming article in the TV Guide.
Mary McCarthy did the interview with Amber well before Christmas, when Amber was having creative differences with the Producers. It's her perogative as an artist. Mary's article was slanted in a negative way, just to stir things up, She did her job well!

She did not report ANY of the positive things Amber had to say about the show.

Amber never said she was leaving the show, she wouldn't. she loves her castmates and production team too much. I believe the comment was taken out of context and that in general, if Amber is not inspired or challenged, she wants things to change. It's an unfortunate article that got picked up and got spun in to another nasty article in the New York publication.

Amber has solved most of her issues, and has been much more happy with the results of her efforts and the efforts of the Producers. Things are much better now. In all relationships, one of the neccessary byproducts is conflict. It's just how you work through them, and you definitely don't give interviews when you are feeling low!

Better believe Amber felt that bite!

I was on the set yesterday and it was all smiles!

Steady on!
Bonnie T.
Amber's response to the TV Guide article:
All I have to say about this callous, manipulative piece of crumb-filled dessert, is that that last quote, if not a few of the others, was completely cut and paste to fit in accordance with a color of journalism so yellow you could call it piss-poor reporting.

*spits*

bleh

I will not be leaving JOA, nore do I ever want to. I love my show, I love my writers, my cast and everyone involved. I have no problem admitting I sat and watched the Globes by myself and ate ice cream with knee high stockings and a bib crying out "why???? I wanted to wear the Valentino Catour dress Garner, meeeee!!!" while throwing balled up Kleenex at the TV.

So maybe the "snit" was really about, doing an interview I didn't want to give in the first place. Hmmm, I wonder why....

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 15th 2005, 4:42 am

Last week's episode "Romancing the Joan" reminded me so much of MSCL due to the direction and transition between scenes. Imagine my surprise when I learned that the director for that episode was Joanna Kerns aka Mike Seaver's mom!

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 15th 2005, 6:05 am

candygirl wrote: Imagine my surprise when I learned that the director for that episode was Joanna Kerns aka Mike Seaver's mom!
I have to admit, neither of these two names rang any bells :) But thanks to the IMDb --- whoa, she was the mom from "Growing Pains"!? I totally forgot about that show. Oh, Tracey Gold. She was cute. And Leonardo diCaprio starred in it -- now I know why I don't like this guy ;-). Looks like the show is now coming to DVD.

Anyway, yes, the last episode of JoA was pretty good. It felt almost like a new beginning of the show. They seem to drop the story arc around Joan's dad and his so-called "affair" (which was boring to say the least). And not so much talking (and whining) about religion. Maybe Barbara Hall made some changes as a result of the ratings drop and Amber's comments (which were very well justified, especially the part with "Joan is backtracking. Joan is more confused.... She learns something in [one] episode, but then she seems to redo [her mistakes] in another, so she never seems to learn anything. I'm not really sure where the growth is.")

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 24th 2005, 8:19 pm

DVD news from tvshowsondvd:
A week ago yesterday we passed along news that Joan of Arcadia - The 1st Season was planned for DVD release on May 10th, according to retail sources we have. The very next day after we posted that story, online e-tailers started listing the title for pre-order! Among them are DVDPlanet.com ($41.27 discounted price) and Amazon.com ($48.99 discounted price).

Now our retail sources also have provided a first look at the cover art for us to enjoy. This may not be the final version, but this looks great as-is: click here to view cover art

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Apr 10th 2005, 4:46 am

Looks like this is the last season of "Joan of Arcadia":
Is there any indication as to whether Joan of Arcadia is coming back next year? — Rick Collarini

Ausiello: Sadly, I think God's next assignment for Amber Tamblyn is gonna involve finding a new gig.
http://www.tvguide.com/news/askausiello/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 18th 2005, 4:04 am

It's official. According to this article, JoA has been cancelled. Even before it was announced, Barbara Hall's sister said at her blog that things were not looking good, "based on who isn't returning your phone calls."

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » May 18th 2005, 7:08 pm

yeah, apparently they are replacing it with a Jennifer Love Hewitt show that is basically a copy from Medium with Patricia Arquette.