Clarissa Explains it All and Pete & Pete!!!

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Clarissa Explains it All and Pete & Pete!!!

Post by fnordboy » Feb 9th 2005, 11:52 am

:shock: :D

This show has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. This is great news and hopefully this will bring Pete & Pete out on DVD!
Clarissa Explains It All - Nick launches 'Rewind Collection' with 1st Season of Clarissa
2/09/2005

The Adventures of Pete & Pete. Are You Afraid of the Dark? Salute Your Shorts. You Can't Do That on Television! All of these classic Nickelodeon series from the early days of the cable channel are much wanted on DVD by their fans. But high on the list is the show that made Melissa Joan Hart a star: Clarissa Explains It All. And now Clarissa's first season - all 13 episodes - has been announced for a May 17th release that launches a new line of Nick DVDs: The Rewind Collection.

Clarissa Explains It All was a classic Nickelodeon sitcom that ran for 5 seasons and produced 65 episodes, beginning in 1991. Clarissa, as some preferred to call it, featured plot lines that teenagers can relate to. Clarissa's family members were her annoying little brother (Ferguson), her health nut mom (Janet), and her architect dad (Marshall). Her next door neighbor, Sam, was always welcome in her room. In fact, he used a ladder to climb through her window at any time he pleased. Clarissa also had, for a short time, a pet alligator named Elvis.

The series aired on Nickelodeon in the United States as part of their SNICK line-up from 1991-1994, lasting for 5 seasons (and continuing on in reruns for years). In 1994, the series received an Emmy nomination for 'Outstanding Children's Program'. In addition, Melissa Joan Hart, Sean O'Neal, and Jason Zimbler also received multiple Young Artist Award nominations. Melissa won 3 for her role as Clarissa.

The Clarissa Explains It All - Season 1 compilation in May will be on 2 DVDs, and run 328 minutes for 13 episodes. Paramount Home Entertainment will distribute this title. If this set is successful, we hope it will lead to further "Rewind Collection" releases for many of the other Nick shows named above. Stay tuned, and we'll let you know.
TVShowsOnDVD.com
Last edited by fnordboy on Feb 12th 2005, 12:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 9th 2005, 1:49 pm

I would love to see Pete & Pete again, but I certainly remember watching Clarissa a lot also. Recently I saw the movie Ray on video last week, and one guy in that movie looked really familiar to me - one of the recording engineers. Turned out to be Endless Mike from P&P!!! The one with the armpits, if I remember correctly.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Feb 9th 2005, 2:07 pm

Me and my sisters totally watched both of those shows back in the day - good times. I loved how wierd and quirky P&P was. We watched Salute Your Shorts too! :lol: I just might have to check those out...

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 9th 2005, 3:15 pm

I definitely remember my sister watching Clarissa (and then Sabrina the Teenage Witch) and Hey Dude! I watched You Can't Do That On Television, which my other hated, and Fifteen.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 9th 2005, 3:18 pm

candygirl wrote:I definitely remember my sister watching Clarissa (and then Sabrina the Teenage Witch) and Hey Dude! I watched You Can't Do That On Television, which my other hated, and Fifteen.
Fifteen is my other must have from that time... if I could get Pete & Pete and Fifteen my Nickelodeon wants would be complete.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 9th 2005, 9:30 pm

What about Hey, Dude? Ben STiller's wife was on that show. Melody. :D
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 9th 2005, 9:39 pm

fnordboy wrote:Fifteen is my other must have from that time... if I could get Pete & Pete and Fifteen my Nickelodeon wants would be complete.
How could I forget Pete & Pete?! That was awesome too.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Feb 9th 2005, 10:10 pm

LOL, this is great! I remember all of those shows. I absolutely loved Hey Dude, Fifteen and the original You Can't Do That on Television. I didn't like Clarissa very much, but I would watch it when it was on tv. I did think that her room was cool.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 10th 2005, 12:36 am

We had so much cooler stuff to watch than kids do now. <sigh> :)
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Feb 10th 2005, 11:21 am

That is so true Kristin! Even the cartoons were better: Smurfs, Rainbow Brite, Transformers..... The good ol' days :D

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 12th 2005, 12:43 am

My life nears completion!!!
Just the other day we were very pleased to bring you the announcement that Clarissa Explains It All - Season 1 was that start of something cool: Nickelodeon's "Rewind Collection" of DVDs from early classic shows.

Now Nick and distributor Paramount Home Entertainment are pleased to announce the second title in the Rewind Collection: The Adventures of Pete & Pete - Season 1.

The Adventures of Pete & Pete was a surreal comedy in which a peaceful suburban neighborhood was a strange and skewed world as seen through the eyes of pre-teens. Wellsville, USA contained many different unique characters, such as: two brothers that were both named Pete, their mom who had a metal plate in her head, Artie the spandex-wearing super-hero, and Petunia, little Pete's tattoo. The Adventures of Pete and Pete originated as a series of one-minute vignettes (shorts) in 1990, then was expanded into a series of five specials, and then became a regular weekly series in late 1993 for three seasons. There is still a strong Pete & Pete fan base that has submitted an on-line petition to Nickelodeon to put Pete & Pete on DVD, with 3800 signatures to date.

Not to mention enough votes for the show here at TVShowsOnDVD to put the show at position #84 among our most-requested shows not yet released to DVD! And 98% of our voters wanted season sets...and that's indeed what you get. On May 17th (the same date as the Clarissa release), this hits stores on a 2-disc set that runs 292 minutes. All 8 episodes from the first season are present, of course. No word yet on whether any of the vignettes or specials that preceded that season are going to be included, but stay tuned. We'll keep you posted if we find out anything.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2903

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Feb 13th 2005, 1:07 pm

So bizarre to think about how many current stars were on these Nickelodeon shows. Melissa Joan Hart, Christine Taylor, Elisha Cuthbert of 24 fame was on Are You Afraid of the Dark?, and strangest of all, one of the great actors of a generation, Steve Buscemi was at least a semi-regular on Pete & Pete.

And last but not least, our precious Cheryl Fleck (Laura Innes or course of ER) was on Hey Dude.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Feb 13th 2005, 9:47 pm

dTheater wrote:And last but not least, our precious Cheryl Fleck (Laura Innes or course of ER) was on Hey Dude.
Really? Which part?

:o

BTW, great thread, I totally remember these! I used to love the dungeon and firing-squad skits on YCDToT!, not to mention the omnipresent slime. Oops, did I just say-

:splat:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 14th 2005, 5:37 pm

The slime was what my mom hated about YCDTOT. Interesting that she still let us buy those little plastic containers of slime out of the gumball machines at the grocery store though.

According to imdb, Laura Innes played Miss Andrews in one episode and Mrs. Fleeman in another episode of Hey Dude. I have no recollection of either character though.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Feb 14th 2005, 10:05 pm

Laura Innes, if I recollect correctly, was one of Ted's high school teachers, and she was attracted to the head guy of the ranch. I don't remember the second character she played.