Underworld?

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Nik
Liberty High Student

Post by Nik » Sep 30th 2003, 7:14 pm

My brother saw this--He hated it--and he is very into this genre. Does anyone ever use http://www.rottentomatoes.com?? Anyway--it got a 30% on the tomato meter, which basically means that 80 out of 115 critics thought it was rotten. I know how it is sometimes when you're excited about a movie and can't wait to see it. Then everyone says it sucks. I still go to see it anyway, but I usually come to the same conclusion :lol:
Nik

“Well, I guess it depends on how-- badly you need wallpaper”
“I would say pretty badly”

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

underworld

Post by lance » Jan 18th 2004, 1:17 pm

Well,

last Thursday I was minding my own business hanging out and vegging when my mom showed up and said, " Here is $20.00 go spend it on something, but it can't be computer related."

-D'oh!

So I wandered over to the local Target. I had to shop for my niece's upcoming birthday and thought I would kill two birds with one stone. What did my wandering eye spy, but a brand new shiny UnderWorld DVD. I hemmed and hawed but finally decided what the heck, I'll buy it.

Took it home, popped it in and was blown away. For the record, I had not read any reviews on it, I have never played White Wolf and had only heard about it because I saw this thread in this forum. So it is safe to say that I went in with minimal expectations.

The movie worked incredibly well on two different levels. First, the action sequences were cool. Anytime you get to see Vampires and Werewolves go toe to toe is neat. Second, the writing was excellent. The initial plot presented at the beginning of the story gets turned completely on its head by the end, great symmetry. I actually cared about whether the Lycan (Werewolves) survived or not.

Also humanity for once was not the focus of the story. Humans were background not the center of things. The depth on background of the two warring groups was great. I also love the fact that the actor who played one of the Lycan leads also wrote for the film. You can hear him on the writers commentary track on the DVD. He has a deep, distincitive voice you can't miss him.

I did some web searching and found to my great delight that they are working on a Underworld sequel, possibly a trilogy:

see the following links for details:

(from 11/12/03): http://www.geekroar.com/film/archives/000433.php

(from 9/26/03): http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0 ... 83,00.html

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 28th 2004, 9:10 pm

Hey all,

Got confimation that filming on the Underworld Sequel will begin this fall. For more you can read the news here:

http://www.chud.com/news/feb04/feb25under.php3

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

underworld

Post by lance » Feb 8th 2005, 12:59 am

According to comingsoon.net the Underworld Sequel will be called Underworld: Evolution and will be released on 12/9/05.

The sequel will go more into the origins of the feud between vampires and lycans.

You can see some pictures here:

http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/image ... _Evolution

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 8th 2005, 1:44 am

The all-important question about the sequel: will Kate Beckinsale be wearing the outfit from the original movie?

:mrgreen:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Feb 8th 2005, 1:09 pm

candygirl wrote:The all-important question about the sequel: will Kate Beckinsale be wearing the outfit from the original movie?

:mrgreen:
Sooo hott, want to touch the hiney.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

EWU MSCL fan
Overlooked Sibling

Post by EWU MSCL fan » Apr 18th 2005, 12:53 am

Sony has moved up the release date of the movie to December 2nd, 2005.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Apr 21st 2005, 12:25 am

EWU MSCL fan wrote:Sony has moved up the release date of the movie to December 2nd, 2005.
Very, very cool, thanks for the update.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 25th 2006, 11:53 pm

Anyone see Underworld: Evolution?

I saw it last Sunday been thinking about it since. Critics have pretty much slammed it but it seems to be doing well at the box office. I liked it overall. The movie answered some questions about the mythos but left a lot unanswered.

[spoiler] If Marcus rotated rule of the vampires with Victor and Amelia why didn't he wipe out the coven years ago and free his brother. What made this time different? How was Victor able to control him when Victor was asleep. If Amelia was such a bad ass vampire lord why did she get killed so easily by the Lycans in Underworld especially since Victor seemed so hard to kill.

I thought that the 1200 AD part was good but too short. How did the Lycans go from mindless killing machines to the likes of Lucien?

In the movie the said if William or Marcus where killed that was it for Lycans and Vort (vampires) yet the ending seems to say that they are still around and leaderless. Definately a possible set up for a third one.
[/spoiler]

The thing that struck me the most was that with Underworld it was a smartly written plot with more of an ensemble feel. Yes Selene was the focus but Lucien and Victor's arcs were prominent. With Evolution the focus seems to much more on Selene and Michael. Interesting to see where they go with the story from here.

-LanceMan