Point Pleasant

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Point Pleasant

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 12th 2005, 4:56 am

Anyone plan on watching this? It has a Jossverse pedigree (Marti Noxon, Kelly Manners, Ben Edlund, David Burns, Rick Rosenthal, etc.) so I'll give it a try. Besides, Jake from Melrose Place as Satan's minion? Awesome.

:mrgreen:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jan 12th 2005, 5:28 am

I'll watch the pilot -- yes, because of Marti Noxon (I'm not one of those blaming her for the bad episodes of season 6 of Buffy).

Although -- if the show is any good, it will be cancelled after a few episodes. After all, it's FOX. So I better don't get attached to the show...

Here's a summary from tvtome.com for those who don't know what the show is about:

Point Pleasant – a drama from former Buffy the Vampire Slayer executive producer Marti Noxon and 20th Century Fox Television – the description of the project given as solely having "a supernatural series…[that] will focus on a beachside community that is turned upside down when a mysterious girl washes ashore." The series' protagonist is Christina Nickson, a 17-year-old described as "angelic, mysterious, very bright and very intense." While her wealthy father lives in New York City, she has been shuffled off to boarding school for most of her life, dubbing herself a "Park Avenue Orphan."

Mild spoilers ahead:
[spoiler]
During a school cruise, the ship sinks and Christina is rescued off shore of the New Jersey town of Point Pleasant. She befriends her savior, a young lifeguard – with whom she shares an attraction – and ends up staying with the Kramers, a local doctor's family with whom she forms an unusual bond. Her presence begins to have a noticeable effect on the townsfolk, in particular the two women of the Kramer family. However, the police captain and Kramer patriarch, Ben, are more suspicious of Christina, perhaps even a bit threatened by her. She possesses a duality that seems hard to reconcile: She's at once dangerous and saintly.
Indeed, Christina herself has begun to notice the changes within her, and is frightened by them. It seems that sometimes when she gets upset, unfortunate events happen that involve the people who trouble her. She also is determined to find her mother, whom she never knew. As she spends more time in Point Pleasant, Christina begins to uncover more clues about her mother, and at the same time, becomes more aware of her father's intent to keep her from that mission.
[/spoiler]

http://www.fox.com/pointpleasant/

The pilot airs January 19th on FOX at 9/8c.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 12th 2005, 2:59 pm

I will watch this show if I get the chance. It looks creepy, and I think that's pretty cool. I agree with Sascha though! You can't get too attached to a new show, although I am pretty attached to Lost right now. Anyway, another reason I'll watch Point Pleasant is that my friend who works on Veronica Mars also is working on PP, so I want to check it out for her (she's not an actress, but work in production).
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jan 12th 2005, 6:09 pm

An interview with Marti Noxon can be found here: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/09/arts/ ... &position=

She also talks about the end of "Buffy", "Still Life" and why she doesn't like the Internet.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 19th 2005, 5:12 am

According to this article, Adam Busch (Warren on BtVS) appears on the show and Marti Noxon wants to get James Marsters on the show as well.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 20th 2005, 6:37 am

So what did you think of the show? Yay? Nay? Meh? I was watching it while making dinner, taping Alias, and trying to flip back to VH-1's I Love the 90s (to see if there were a segment on MSCL!) so I didn't get to watch the whole thing. I think there is a lot of potential, especially considering some of the cast and crew. The pilot didn't make me an instant fan (unlike the series premieres of Veronica Mars, Lost, and Desperate Housewives this season), but I will watch a few more episodes and see whether it sucks me in or it just sucks.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 20th 2005, 10:37 am

I completely missed it! Well, I didn't exactly know when it was on...

I was at a performance last night. My boyfriend was trying out for a competition, so I went to hear him play. But at least I remembered to tape Lost. I'll try to watch Point Pleasant next week.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 20th 2005, 3:40 pm

The next episode of Point Pleasant airs tonight after The O.C.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jan 20th 2005, 5:45 pm

candygirl wrote:see whether it sucks me in or it just sucks.
After the pilot, I have to say: It sucks. Well, it's not the worst show ever, but it's nothing new. It's just another teenage drama which tries to copy "the oc" and throws some lame "The Excorcist" references into the mix. It's beautifully shot -- well, it's a pilot episode. But the story is like a boring "Scream 4" incarnation. It doesn't have the fresh dialogues of "The O.C." and it lacks the "scare factor" of movies like "The Ring". FreakyBarbieGirl puts her hands on a window, rolls with her eyes, StupidGirl fiddles with her seat belts until PrettyGuy saves her, then the car explodes .... gee, I can't wait to read the TWOP-recap of this one ;-).

But the weakest point is IMHO the casting. The lead chracter is just plain uninteresting. The viewer doesn't connect to her. Then there's Richard Burgi. He was good as the "Sentinel" and in "24" -- but in comparision to Peter Gallagher as "Dad" he loses big time. The only character which is at least a bit interesting is the daughter of Richard Burgi's character (sorry, can't remember the names).

Maybe I'll give the show another shot and watch the second episode -- but I don't have any hope. I'm not even sure if "Tru Calling" was really that much worse. Marti Noxon, I'm really disappointed. :evil:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 20th 2005, 6:39 pm

It definitely wasn't the worst pilot I've ever seen - I reserve that title jointly for the two pilots where I was part of the test audience. Any sitcom cliche you can think of was covered by both of tose crappy pilots: new stepdad, sneaking out the window, getting caught by said stepdad, having a heartfelt talk, etc. plus clothing that was all at least five years out of date. Tom Woppat (Luke from the Dukes of Hazzard) was in one of them. After sitting through both pilots, I wanted that time back AND I wanted whoever paid for the shows to be developed to make a mandatory charitable contribution to a worthy cause to counter the hundreds of thousands of dollars they wasted paying the writers, directors, actors, and crew. This happened almost ten years ago and I STILL get annoyed just thinking about it!

Anyway, my point is that this wasn't the worst pilot ever and I'm willing to watch a few more episodes. Heck, I watched Jack & Bobby (which was a complete turd) for a few weeks so I can give this a little longer - but only because there's nothing else I want to watch during that timeslot. I agree that it's nothing new - it's very derivative, but I am going to see if it ends up going anywhere. Bonus points for using the church from Heathers. Big minus points for casting Mischa Barton lite as the lifeguard's girlfriend. I was hoping she would be blown up in the car. I actually screamed "NOOOOO!" when she escaped. I am intrigued by her mom though, since she is played by the woman who played Brandon's professor's wife on 90210.

:mrgreen:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 22nd 2005, 1:08 am

I finally got around to watching these two episodes, luckily I remebered to Tivo them.

The pilot was shot nice, but pretty much turned me off from the show. It was just waaaay to OC (and I mean that in the "I never watched 5 mins of the OC but to me this is what the OC is" way). I like the main girl, she is somewhat pretty, but I have to say at one point she looked too much like Buffy and it kind of bothered me. The daughter is pretty cool, I can tolerate her, but the writing is pretty damn weak. I was hoping that since it has the Buffy connections that the writing would be atleast somewhere near that quality...what a disappointment.

So I turned on the second episode to give it another chance. I am now intrigued. I will definitely give this show atleast a few more episodes. Though I haven't made a season pass for it yet....which is telling. Thankfully it isn't on Weds. nights like the pilot since that screwed up my Project Runway and S.I. Swimsuit recordings ;)

Quick notes: I hate the Melrose guy so it pisses me off that he is in here. And holy crap the chick from Coach got old. I couldn't believe how old she is looking. Was Coach really that long ago??

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 22nd 2005, 4:17 am

fnordboy wrote:I like the main girl, she is somewhat pretty, but I have to say at one point she looked too much like Buffy and it kind of bothered me.
Sometimes she reminded me of Tara Reid (before she became grotesquely skinny), other times she reminded me of pre-skank Christina Aguilera.
I was hoping that since it has the Buffy connections that the writing would be atleast somewhere near that quality...what a disappointment.
Me too. I had pretty high expectations given how many Buffy people are working on the show. The dialogue is very run of the mill and the plot is derivative and cliche. Here's hoping that it gets better very soon.

Another thing that annoyed me is that when I watched the Thursday night episode, I realized that I shouldn't have bothered watching the Wednesday night episode since the "previously on" hit everything in two minutes. I could have saved myself the 38 minutes I spent watching it on Wednesday. You know when you can summarize everything that has happened in two minutes, not enough is happening (S7 Buffy).
So I turned on the second episode to give it another chance. I am now intrigued. I will definitely give this show atleast a few more episodes. Though I haven't made a season pass for it yet....which is telling. Thankfully it isn't on Weds. nights like the pilot since that screwed up my Project Runway and S.I. Swimsuit recordings ;)
Hee! *whispers* Me, too!
Quick notes: I hate the Melrose guy so it pisses me off that he is in here.

He is even worse on this show than he was on Melrose Place. I never thought I would have the opportunity to say that!
And holy crap the chick from Coach got old. I couldn't believe how old she is looking. Was Coach really that long ago??
Are you talking about the redheaded rich mom? That's Dina Meyer, not Shelley Fabares - although for the record, Coach ran from 1989 until 1997.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 22nd 2005, 11:13 pm

candygirl wrote:Are you talking about the redheaded rich mom? That's Dina Meyer, not Shelley Fabares - although for the record, Coach ran from 1989 until 1997.
Nope, I am talking about Sarah. The other woman who went to see Grant Show with the muffins... ie not the whorey one ;) That is Clare Carey who was the daughter on Coach.

For some reason she is not listed on IMDB as being in the show, but she is Jesse's mother, a fairly big character I think. She is listed on the Point Pleasant site on Fox.com though. So it is definitely her.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 23rd 2005, 2:40 am

Sometimes imdb is a little slow about getting info on new shows posted.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jan 27th 2005, 5:54 am

TV Gal from zap2it also noticed her.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_ma ... 1|,00.html
Clare Carey, best known as Kelly on "Coach," was Jesse's mother on "Point Pleasant." She's Lisa Connor on "Medical Investigations" and the missing woman in a recent episode of "Without a Trace."