10 Christmas TV chestnuts

Found a reference to "My So-Called Life" in a book, movie, tv show or somewhere else? Then post here!
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

10 Christmas TV chestnuts

Post by Sascha » Dec 23rd 2004, 6:25 pm

MSCL is among Neal Justin's 10 Christmas TV chestnuts:
"My So-Called Life: So-Called Angels" (1994): When Angela (Claire Danes) goes searching for Rickie (Wilson Cruz) she discovers an abandoned building full of homeless children, including an angelic Juliana Hatfield. This is a tough hour that deals with death, suicide and child abuse, but it's as powerful and as moving as TV has ever been. Whoever canceled this gem deserves a flaming hot coal in his stocking.
See the other nine here: http://www.startribune.com/stories/1706/5148243.html

Crescendo
Tino

Re: 10 Christmas TV chestnuts

Post by Crescendo » Dec 26th 2004, 3:31 am

Wow, that's great quote. Cool person wrote that, but

call me crazy...

and i swear i've watched this episode many times...

but which character tried or hinted at committing suicide? :?
"How ironic can you get without, like, puking?" -Brian in "Life of Brian"

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 26th 2004, 6:57 pm

Perhaps that person doesn't have the dvd box set, and can't check for sure. :P
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

toolostinyou
Jody Barsh

Post by toolostinyou » Dec 26th 2004, 10:01 pm

and they sure as hell weren't staying up till 4AM to see the episode again on noggin!!!
"Apparently Delia Fischer smiles at everyone. She probably comes from one of
those small towns where everyone's friendly and smiles at you for no reason.
I hate that type of town."
-- Brian

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Dec 27th 2004, 11:11 pm

Didn't Jimmy Stewart's character attempt suicide in It's a Wonderful Life, the movie which was often seen playing in the background (and from which the MSCL production company drew its name)?
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Dec 28th 2004, 2:10 pm

Nostradamus wrote:Didn't Jimmy Stewart's character attempt suicide in It's a Wonderful Life, the movie which was often seen playing in the background (and from which the MSCL production company drew its name)?
That's a really good point. I never really thought about it...

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Dec 29th 2004, 1:57 pm

You could say that the So-Called Angel commits suicide by running away from home and freezing to death. Patty fears that the same fate with befall Angela.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Dec 29th 2004, 3:26 pm

it's been a long time since I've seen this episode. but could they be referring to Rickie? I mean, he did leave the Chase's. I've never thought of this episode as having a suicide theme, but maybe to someone who is new might think of it that way if they hadn't seen many eps.

I don't know...I'm reaching... LOL

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jan 3rd 2005, 12:49 am

Ok, I randomly originally posted this in another thread, but here it is again:
There is no direct reference to suicide in this episode. The author may have been referencing Brian's call to the Teen Helpline, thinking that it was instead a Suicide Helpline. Or, the author may have been confused about the cause of death for Juliana's character or the other voices of the lost children -- thinking it was suicide rather than freezing or hunger. While Rickie certainly feels misplaced and forsaken, there is no evidence that he was contemplating suicide.
And yes, George Bailey does almost attempt a suicide in It's a Wonderful Life - prompted by the Bailey's Building & Loan's missing money, and the cold fact that strictly monetarily speaking, he is worth more dead than alive - which is when Clarence the angel intervenes. Juliana's intervention in So-Called Angels is certainly reminiscent of It's a Wonderful Life.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !