So-Called Angels

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.

Who's your favourite character?

Rickie
29%
Angela
14%
Rayanne
14%
Jordan
7%
Brian
36%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 14

So-CalledAngels
Tino

So-Called Angels

Post by So-CalledAngels » Dec 24th 2004, 10:47 pm

I think this is the best episode ever, halfway into it i was bawling my eyes out for Rickie. I wish they'd play it again, i really want to tape it. I think it was a really touching episode (poor Rickie though) :cry: I think it was awesome. Anyone else share this opinion?

Justina
Frozen Embryo

so-called angels

Post by Justina » Dec 24th 2004, 11:30 pm

I agree it was a great episode. I thought the ending was especially powerful where Patty sees Rickie lighting the candle at church and later everyone meets there. It was very well done.
"My life is different people kicking me out of different rooms."

So-CalledAngels
Tino

I agree

Post by So-CalledAngels » Dec 25th 2004, 11:27 pm

I agree!! i love that scene. Rickie is myfave character, hes so awesome. *sigh*

Crescendo
Tino

Re: So-Called Angels

Post by Crescendo » Dec 26th 2004, 3:22 am

So-CalledAngels wrote:I think this is the best episode ever, halfway into it i was bawling my eyes out for Rickie. I wish they'd play it again, i really want to tape it. I think it was a really touching episode (poor Rickie though) :cry: I think it was awesome. Anyone else share this opinion?
MOST DEFINITELY.

I always get caught between whether my favoirte episode is Life of Brian of So-Called Angels. I taped the latter episode the other night when it was on the-n ...at 2 o'clock in the morning!!!

I totally feel for Rickie in that episode, and I always start crying, too!!!
"How ironic can you get without, like, puking?" -Brian in "Life of Brian"

So-CalledAngels
Tino

Aw

Post by So-CalledAngels » Dec 26th 2004, 10:15 am

I hvent taped any episodes yet, my stupid TV setup wont do it, but my sisters boyfriend (i guess that makes him a sort-of-brother) is gonna see if he can program the VCR to record channel 51 every night at 11:00 so i can watch them other times. my parents suck so they wont let me stay up to watch it on schoolnights, and its only on monday-thursay :cry: ah well.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Dec 26th 2004, 1:12 pm

There is no direct reference to suicide in this episode. The author may have been referencing Brian's call to the Teen Helpline, thinking that it was instead a Suicide Helpline. Or, the author may have been confused about the cause of death for the Juliana's character or the other voices of the lost children -- thinking it was suicide rather than freezing or hunger. While Rickie certainly feels misplaced and forsaken, there is no evidence that he was contemplating suicide.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

So-CalledAngels
Tino

What?

Post by So-CalledAngels » Dec 26th 2004, 2:20 pm

What? I didn't say a thing about suicide! Where did that come from?

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Dec 27th 2004, 12:06 am

I think Jody meant to reply to this thread. And I agree with her about her explanation of the suicide talk.
this episode is not one of my favourites but it is still wonderful and has some great moments.

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Dec 27th 2004, 12:19 am

I think of all the great "musical guest tie-ins" (and there have not been that many great ones), MSCL had the 2 best. Buffalo Tom of course. But Julianna Hatfield was better than perfect in this role and in this episode.

I think musical guests on TV shows are often an excuse for the writers to take the episode off, and let the band carry the show for the week (oooo, Conway Twitty's car just happened to break down outside my house), but on MSCL they were so very integral to the show.

So-CalledAngels
Tino

ooops

Post by So-CalledAngels » Dec 27th 2004, 1:02 am

Ooh i see, my mistake. Thanks Grim!

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jan 3rd 2005, 12:33 am

grim4746 wrote:I think Jody meant to reply to this thread. And I agree with her about her explanation of the suicide talk.
this episode is not one of my favourites but it is still wonderful and has some great moments.
Oops! That's weird. :oops: Thanks Grim.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jan 4th 2005, 10:56 pm

It's good until the wings make an appearance.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Jan 5th 2005, 12:42 am

dTheater wrote:It's good until the wings make an appearance.
Were the wings over-doing it for you?

I really like there editing in this episode. Throughout the whole show they transition into the next scene so beautifully. It was a great effect. I also like how they kind of go through everybody's Christmas- Sharon and Rayanne, and then Jordan's. The end scene of Jordan, although very short, tells so much (maybe even more then any other scene) about the "true" him. I loved the way they did that. Obviously, his life is somewhat complicated. That 7 second scene shows us that even without words- that is exactly how it should have been done. If Jordan was to come out and say "My life sucks...(so on)" It wouldn't have been as real to me as it was. Also, it would be way out of character.

So-CalledAngels
Tino

True

Post by So-CalledAngels » Jan 5th 2005, 12:52 am

I agree absoloutely, that one scene showed more about Jordan than 3 full episodes could, mainly because hes too cool to show emotion i guess.

And the wings were a little but fake-looking, but the concept/idea of having them there was pretty awesome.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 5th 2005, 5:34 pm

Maybe the wings were shown to make sure the viewers knew that she was an angel, not just a ghost.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~