The Aviator

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
starbug
Lifehead

The Aviator

Post by starbug » Dec 15th 2004, 11:18 am

I'm going to a private preview of this tonight... Mr. S and I won a competition to get free tickets at some posh London cinema. I've a suspicion it's a press preview - there's a drinks reception beforehand.
It's quite exciting really :D The last time I went to a private showing, it was the theatre, and I was interviewed for comment by the Independent newspaper! I didn't know they'd published my comments until about a month later though :( when someone told me they'd seen my quote.

I will let you guys know what I think, anyway! Has anyone else seen this?

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 15th 2004, 1:05 pm

I'll probably have to wait for the DVD on this one. I never have enough time or money to go out to the cinema. But The Aviator is a film on my list of films-to-see. Please do let us know what you think, starbug!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Dec 15th 2004, 7:10 pm

ooh, that sounds like a lot of fun, Starbug!! the film didn't really appeal to me, but it's nominated for a lot of awards here in the states. so I might just check it out afterall. tell us what you think!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 16th 2004, 3:58 am

I can't resist the thought of Jude Law, Kate Beckinsale, Gwen Stefani, and Cate Blanchett all together in one movie.

:mrgreen:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Dec 16th 2004, 6:43 am

Well, it was a good night! We arrived to the drinks reception, but there was no food so we left to try and find some, got as far as the snackbar at the cinema where the guy told us there was a tab running so we could have whatever we wanted :D It wasn't a press thing, it was a promotional night for a magazine we subscribe to (http://www.theweek.co.uk). After half and hour the film started, no opening credits, no trailers, no nothing. just film. it was so refreshing...

Now, about the film. It was good. It definitely didn't feel like 3 hours. But don't go expecting most of the big names to be lighting up the screen. Cate Blanchett was excellent, as was Kate Beckinsdale, but Gwen Stefani and Jude Law were in it for about 8 seconds each. Seriously, blink and you miss it; I'm not sure how you're supposed to assess someone's acting debut on that basis. Gwen had 2 lines or something. Leonardo I usually hate, but he managed to conjour up a surprising amount of sympathy, and much was made of Howard Hughes' OCD, which probably helped. Personally though, Alan Alda and John C Reilly were the stars of the show for me. Both gave really excellent performances.
Another surprise was a bit-part for Ruth from 6FU. She was good.
The special effects were good, but quite obvious, which always annoys me, but it wasn't overbearing.
The only thing I would say is that the ending was rather strange, and not in a good way.

That said, it was a good film, beautifully shot, IMHO, and will probably win a handful of awards. It probably is Leonardo di Caprio's best work. I would say go and see it!

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Dec 18th 2004, 5:50 pm

starbug wrote:The only thing I would say is that the ending was rather strange, and not in a good way.
Heh, "His ending was rather strange, and not in a good way" could be on Howard Hughes' tombstone. You know, what with the uncut nails, and the tissue-box shoes, and the broken hypodermic needles, and the grotesque emaciation...

http://figures.nohomers.net/Customs/Cus ... urns_2.jpg

:wink:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

EWU MSCL fan
Overlooked Sibling

Post by EWU MSCL fan » Jan 25th 2005, 3:51 am

This movie was really good. It showed the success story of a very haunted man, Howard Hughes, and his ability to be a major player in both Hollywood and with TWA. Yes Howard Hughes was an eccentric man but what person doesn't have habits that would seem strange to somebody else. We are all indivdual people who have different drives that would seem strange to other people.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 25th 2005, 2:33 pm

I just read on the internet that The Aviator got 11 Oscar nominations, the most noms so far for one film this year...
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 26th 2005, 6:19 am

Eleven Oscar nominations puts it with movies like Amadeus, The Godfather, West Side Story, Oliver!, The Color Purple, Out of Africa, Saving Private Ryan, and LOTR: ROTK, all of which received eleven Academy Award nominations. Interestingly (and sadly), The Color Purple won NONE.

Although eleven nominations is a lot for a single movie, the record is fourteen. So far, only two...wait for it...Titanic, which won eleven.

:shock:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jan 30th 2005, 11:15 pm

so I finally got around to seeing this movie tonight. I thought it was pretty good. mostly though, I was pleasantly surprised by Cate Blanchett's performance as Katherine Hepburn. literally the moment she began to speak, I sat up. she sounded so much like Hepburn that I wondered at first if her voice was dubbed. her acting was great too. go Cate! ha ha