Spreading the Love...

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Spreading the Love...

Post by lance » Nov 23rd 2004, 9:20 pm

This topic may have been covered in another thread but here goes...

Who have you shown MSCL to for the first time? What were their reactions?

Here in the heart of the desert, I have been trying to introduce my 12 year old niece to MSCL every since I got here. Everytime I brought it up she would twist her face and go, "Yuck, too cheesy."

Well on Monday night I was became default baby sitter for the first time. So I went out with my niece and we picked up gyros and went back to the house for dinner. Since I was in charge, feeling all that power going to my head, I decided we were going to watch the Pilot.

So my niece munched on her gyro and slowly drifted to the floor in front of my brother's rather large TV. Her gyro done, she quickly became engrossed in the show. She lay on her belly with her feet kicked up behind her.

By the time that Angela and co had made it to Let's Bolt my sister in law had arrived home from evening college course. She munched and started to watch. By the end of the episode she said, "What is that show? That is the most realistic portrayal of cops I have ever seen?"

I had made not one, but two converts. In the weeks to come I hope to show them more of MSCL.

-LanceMan

special_k
Yearbook Team
Location: Closer to here than there, in the land between dreaming and waking...

Post by special_k » Nov 24th 2004, 1:26 am

Yet another of the many things that make you amazing, Lance. I'm sure your niece and her mother will always appreciate that gesture. I know I would. ^_^

~K
"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong, and those are the ones that change your life."

Jessie, "Once and Again"

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 24th 2004, 6:07 pm

Good work Lance! Now send your converts forth, that they may infect others with their knowledge! Soon will we sway them all... BwahahahaHAHAHA!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

... :wink:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Nov 24th 2004, 7:05 pm

I try to find at least 1 person to show MSCL to each year. I was lucky this year and was able to get half a dozen people to watch the whole series earlier this fall. Half of them loved it, the others enjoyed it well enough but didn't go crazy for it. One of them even checked out this site without me mentioning it. I wasn't too upset when he decided this forum wasnt' for him. As much as I love sharing the show, I'd like to be greedy and keep the site all to myself (as far as my immediate social circle goes anyway).
Hey that reminds me my dvd's are currently lent out, I better check on them.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Nov 25th 2004, 3:00 am

I tried to get a good friend of mine to watch MSCL about 2 years ago. we had initially bonded over Buffy at work and became fast friends. so, we were always trying to get each other obsessed with different shows. she was very excited to watch MSCL since I had talked it to death. but unfortunately, she didn't connect with it. I was crushed. :cry:

though I love MSCL, I'm very guarded about it. like if I show it to someone and they don't like it, they are rejecting a small part of me. I showed Help! (a Beatles' film) to a guy I was dating once. it's one of my favorite films and I was so excited for him to experience it with me. but he was completely bored and proceeded to tease me about the film for a couple weeks. I think I even heard him say it was the worst thing he had ever seen. it was very disappointing and even hurt my feelings a bit.

Juli
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Juli » Nov 25th 2004, 3:25 am

I have managed to successfully show my 11 year old sister MSCL in the past week and she loved it. I was only a year older than her when I first started to watch the show 10 years ago and now I'm passing on the show to her. Everyone needs to watch it while growing up because you won't find a show more true to teenage life, ever.

About guarding the show so closely - that's completely understandable. I don't like to let anyone in on the actual degree my MSCL obsession. I let them know I like it and watch it all the time but not how much I am completely in love with the show.

I guess it's because I feel like it is more than a show to me. I think in most parts of the show, I went through what Angela did. In highschool I was, and still am, self conscious. I had the wacky best friend, I had the gay guy friend who was struggling with his sexuality. I had the Jordan Catalano.

And I think most people had at least a few elements of the show in their own lives so when someone says bad things about the show, it's almost like someone is saying bad things about their own lives, not just the characters and the show. I guess that's why I take it personal if someone says the show sucks.

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Nov 27th 2004, 10:05 pm

I have not been very successful in sharing My So Called Life. :(

I tried to get my older sister to watch it with me a couple months back (when I got My DVD's). But... sadly, she didn't like it as much as I hoped. She did like it though... but not as I do. I think, (I shouldn't be saying this), that she might be a little on the superficial side to really understand the depth of the show. She is the OC type of show-watcher. You know, (not to offend anybody), but unrealistically good-looking people, with lots of money, and... "soap-opera-y" plots. Although, I am able to get her to watch it with me sometimes. :)

Just this week, I tried to get my big brother to watch it with me too. A little bit into it, he decided that playing Grand Theft Auto San Andreas was more worth his time. He quietly got up and left. :cry:

Yes, I suck at "spreading The Love"... but in a way, I'm glad. It's my own little world, where no-body (but here) can go, or try to understand.

I like to have it as an "out". :D
Moltar- Well hey, Thom asked me if he could see my knife, and Thom's doing a song about knife, and he wanted to see what one looked like. Isn't that right Thom? (Pulls out knife again)
Space Goast- (Turns to Thom Yorke) Is that right?
Thom- ...No.
Space Goast- Cuz it sounds like a good idea... so do it.

-Space Goast With Thom Yorke

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 28th 2004, 5:12 pm

When I first got my dvds two years ago (has it really been that long???) I was super excited and the guy I was dating at the time wanted to know what I was so excited about, so he watched some of them with me. He thought they were good, but yes, he also teased me about being so excited. He found Mr. Katimski the funniest character on the show, to give you an idea of how "into it" he got.

I have also watched some eps with my current boyfriend, and he likes it and gets why I like it. I don't think he likes it enough to buy his own set of dvds or anything, but once in a while when we're trying to decide on a dvd to watch he'll say, "how about My so-called life?" and of course my eyes just light up. I'm never the one to suggest that, because my boyfried, as wonderful as he is, is a little more comedy-action kind of guy. And I love that about him, but at least he gets why I like MSCL so much.

About a week ago I started a MSCL marathon with a couple of people I know at school. The two guys I was with had seen the show before, way back when it was on MTV, but not since. So it was sort of like watching them again for the first time for them. We got to ep. 5, so we'll have to have another MSCL night!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Nov 29th 2004, 2:55 pm

I started watching mscl on the N, I only watched a few episodes and got hooked. Finally when they got to betrayl, I got my mom to watch it.. She was completly amazed and ran out and got me the Dvd Set with in the next couple days.. She even bought the set a little after that for her self.. Then we watched the series together..

I also made my one friend watch the show with me.. She really liked the show, but it didnt have as big of a impact on her like it did on me.. We still sat down and watched the whole series though.. She rathered watching my Dawson Creek dvd's more! ( i didnt mind that either)

I try to get people to watch the show as much as I can.. They just dont know what they would be missing out on!

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Greybird » Nov 30th 2004, 6:12 am

My younger brother (we're close and now share an apartment) was intrigued enough, after hearing me babble about this TV triumph for ten years, to watch an episode with me on The N this past Summer. (I think it was "Guns and Gossip.") Then it served to shove other shows aside. to see more episodes during the rest of the week. Then I hauled my tapes out of storage, to fill in the gaps.

He avidly read the Entertainment Weekly article about the show's ten-year anniversary, still stays up when he can to see it at 1 am PT with his brother the night-owl, and keeps saying, with a surprised tone, "You really got me hooked on this!"

We're in our 40s, cynics, libertarians, not inclined to accept very much of current popular culture. I knew that the high quality of the acting and stories would enthrall him some day, as an escape from the TV wasteland. And all this even with our both having mostly endured high school, rather than enjoyed it. (We both find some discomfort with "Life of Brian." Why didn't the kid -- like me, in spades -- appreciate Delia, flirting right in front of him? Yikes. Too close to home, I'd say.)

I don't quite know whether we're relieved at not having to re-live those days, or can now enjoy seeing the essence of adolescence, or just enjoy superb dramatic work. Whatever reason it may be, we both now love this series!
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Dec 2nd 2004, 11:02 pm

Nostradamus wrote:Good work Lance! Now send your converts forth, that they may infect others with their knowledge! Soon will we sway them all... BwahahahaHAHAHA!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

... :wink:
ROFL!

Great stories, definately keep spreading the love. Emmie, I understand guarding your show and feeling rejected if others don't like it. My niece meanwhile just watched "Guns N Gossip" and liked it.

-LanceMan

mscl_adam
Tino

Post by mscl_adam » Dec 23rd 2004, 2:35 pm

Well I have the pilot and the second episode on tape. II aways talk about the show. One of my friends love to watch tv so I told her I was going to give her the tape and she said she would watch it! But I havn't done it yet.