Some things I noticed...

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Nov 7th 2004, 8:01 pm

I always loved that small moment in that scene (and others like it, such as: Jordan opening Angela's locker for her, Angela and Jordan hanging out in his car in "Resolutions", Angela telling Jordan to "shut up" when he teases in "Self-Esteem.") What is appealing to me about it is that we see a real connection between these two characters. The show really doesn't show us that much of their realtionship, but these brief moments reveal that they are comfortable with each other, and that despite all their problems, these two characters share intimacy.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Some things I noticed...

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 7th 2004, 8:51 pm

Megs wrote:3. Resolutions. Mr. Katimsky wears a gold wedding ring on his left finger in the guidance office when he and Mrs. Kr-something (Winnie, right?) are tryng to get Rickie into the Pride House. At the end of Resolutions, when Mr. K is talking to (presumably) his lover about Rickie, he is not wearing a wedding ring. Is this significant in any way, or just another goof?
If I recall correctly, the scene in Resolutions takes place either right before or right after Mr. Katimski has dinner. Some people remove their rings when they prepare certain foods (like mixing raw meat) or wash dishes. I know some women who remove their rings whenever they wash their hands. It's also possible that he wears a ring in public to ward off the womenfolk (like Miss Lerner).
I noticed Mr K's ring too ( its really noticible in that scene) but figured maybe the actor is married forgot to take his ring off and no one noticed ...
Jeff Perry was married to Laurie Metcalf (Jackie on Roseanne) but by the time MSCL began filming, they were already divorced and she had remarried.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Nov 24th 2004, 12:14 pm

OK I just watch this last night, and well...Jordan does NOT hold angela's hand..what he does do is take her elbow and turn her in the driection he wants her to go, then POINTS towards something or the driection ie> my car is parked over in that lot.
sadly I went frame by frame for this. A is almost completely out of frame after they turn, but they're not holding hands.
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Nov 24th 2004, 7:06 pm

Wait... Jordan doesn't hold Angela's hand in Resolutions????!!!!!! :cry:

I have to go and re-watch that!
Moltar- Well hey, Thom asked me if he could see my knife, and Thom's doing a song about knife, and he wanted to see what one looked like. Isn't that right Thom? (Pulls out knife again)
Space Goast- (Turns to Thom Yorke) Is that right?
Thom- ...No.
Space Goast- Cuz it sounds like a good idea... so do it.

-Space Goast With Thom Yorke

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Nov 24th 2004, 7:39 pm

resolutions? wait I thought we were tlaking about so called angels...

if so then nope they are not holding hands after he tells her he will take her to see ricky. he takes her elbow to turn her but he's NOT holding her hand as the walk down the hall.
Last edited by wicked on Nov 24th 2004, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

wicked
Catalano

Re: Some things I noticed...

Post by wicked » Nov 24th 2004, 7:50 pm

my bad should have put this quote in with that comment
Megs wrote:I just finished watching So Called Angels and Resolutions, and I noticed a few things that I would like input on (please forgive the fragments and run-on sentences).

1. So Called Angels. When Angela and Jordan are talking about Rickie in the hallway, and Jordan tells her that he can take her to the warehouse that Jordan took Rickie to (first of all, Jordan was very sweet, understanding and sensitive in that scene. I forgot that aspect of his personality...) when they turn and walk away, Jordan grabs her hand and they kind of swing their arms together, like children often do. I rewound it three times, and I definitely saw that. It just seemed out of place in the scene. They are talking about a very upsetting subject (Rickie being homeless), and they look like they are skipping away happily at the end. Very odd.

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Nov 24th 2004, 8:09 pm

Sorry, I meant So Called Angels :oops:
Moltar- Well hey, Thom asked me if he could see my knife, and Thom's doing a song about knife, and he wanted to see what one looked like. Isn't that right Thom? (Pulls out knife again)
Thom- ...No.

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Nov 24th 2004, 8:53 pm

roflmao...no worries it was a rather convoluted conversation :lol:

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Nov 24th 2004, 9:43 pm

Okay... I just watched that part like a billzillion times. I am not able to accept that they aren't holding hands.

Are you positive? Because it really looks like they are...
Thom- ...No.

Juli
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Juli » Nov 24th 2004, 10:31 pm

I just rewatched it - they are actually holding hands and then they swing their arms :)

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Nov 24th 2004, 11:07 pm

I'm not seeing that at all. I see him turn her, then point towards something. as they walk down the hall, dhe has a pencil and her books in the arm that is towards him...anyway I don't see the swing at all.

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Nov 25th 2004, 1:42 am

Angela : Oh, thank God. Wait! You have to show me where Rickie is! [she
chases the girl out into the crowded hall. As she strains to see
through the crowd, she bumps Jordan] Oh, sorry. Did you see
that girl just now?
Jordan : What girl?
Angela : With a guitar?
Jordan : Well, what's - what's her name?
Angela : I don't know. She knows Rickie.
Jordan : He still crashing at that place?
Angela : What place?
Jordan : That old warehouse on Tennessee? I brought him there.
Angela : You brought him somewhere?
Jordan : Yeah, he was like, I'm gonna light a candle for you, and I'm like,
don't waste your match. Ah, I shouldn't say stuff like that. I mean
I didn't completely mean it. What, you miss him? come on,
I'll bring you there.
Angela : Thanks.
This is the scene we are talking about... right?
Thom- ...No.

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Nov 25th 2004, 1:53 am

Yeah that is the scene - I just that ep the other day and they DO hold hands - cause I remember thinking 'thats wierd...'

Juli
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Juli » Nov 25th 2004, 2:44 am

He definitely takes her by the hand and they swing their arms from front to back in a playful way. It could look like she's pointing at something if you look at it a certain way when they are in the middle of it but they're actually just holding hands and their arms come up together in front of them mid swing.

I see it as him trying to comfort him by saying "I know how sad you are and I hate that." I don't think it was a way of him worming his way back in or anything vindictive but genuine care and concern for Angela's feelings. He wants to make her feel better.

The hand holding and swinging are his way of cheering her up and telling her it will be ok without actually using words. Saying something requires thought but when he holds her hand, it's something his subconscious just does without analyzing if it is the right thing to do or not. His first reaction without any thought is just to comfort her and hold her hand to show her it will be ok. I really like it this way as his actions say more than his words could in this moment. It's subtle.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 22nd 2006, 11:51 pm

Nostradamus wrote:Oh, and while we're noticing things, the book that Jordan leaves in class in "The Substitute" is "Of Mice And Men" by John Steinbeck. I love frame by frame advance.
I LOVE the mscl.com Search function!!!

I've always wondered which Steinbeck book Vic gave Jordan, but never knew for sure. I assumed that, because of its width, and its popularity in high schools, that it was Of Mice and Men (and even included it in one of my fanfictions as such), but I could never read the screen clearly when I paused it (no frame by frame technology in my 1913 apartment.) Anyway, thank you Nostradamus and advancements in frame by frame viewing for clearing this up. :D
[On another topic often inspected frame by frame -- the alleged hand holding in So-Called Angels ... I still think that actually happened.]
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !