Arrested Development

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Arrested Development

Post by dTheater » Dec 8th 2003, 7:58 pm

Is anybody else watching this new comedy on FOX? I seriously think that next to maybe Curb Your Enthusiasm, this is the funniest show on TV, and it's only about 5 episodes in. I schedule my Sundays around it just like I do with 24 on Tuesday. The first episode was kind of a disappointment after the hype it got, but it wasn't really indicative of how the rest of the episodes have been. It's completely bizarre, off-beat humor, but not really silly and over-the-top...okay, maybe a little.

It's on 9:30 on Sundays on FOX and knowing Fox, they'll probably cancel it after one little dip in ratings, so catch it while it's still on.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Dec 19th 2003, 8:52 pm

No , I havne't seen this one yet. I'll have to give it a look. Thanks for the tip.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 19th 2003, 9:12 pm

I'm still not used to watching tv on Sunday nights, so I have only seen this show a few times but it's funny!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Dave Reed
Jody Barsh

Re: Arrested Development

Post by Dave Reed » Dec 29th 2003, 7:55 pm

dTheater wrote:The first episode was kind of a disappointment after the hype it got, but it wasn't really indicative of how the rest of the episodes have been. It's completely bizarre, off-beat humor, but not really silly and over-the-top...okay, maybe a little.
I watched the first episode, feeling it'd be good. I couldn't help but be disappointed since it left me wondering, "why should I care about any of these characters?" It really was rather boring and didn't deliver what it initially advertised (the scene in the commercials with the dad saying, "I'm having the time of my life" never came up in the pilot).

In thinking that the first show should hook a person into what should make it good and seeing it fail miserably in that fashion, I ditched the show altogether. Maybe I'll give it a whirl again sometime soon.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jan 1st 2004, 12:17 am

I have heard that this show is good. Who is the creator or writer? When I first heard about the show I heard that someone I like is involved with the show, but now I can't remember who it is. After your recomendation dTheater I will try to check it out (although my Sunday nights are usually spent doing last minute work); if Arrested Development is anything like Curb Your Enthusiasm I'm sure it will be awesome!
dTheater wrote:it's only about 5 episodes in.
Anything new viewers should know, or is it pretty accesible without having seen the first several episodes?
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jan 10th 2004, 12:51 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:Who is the creator or writer? When I first heard about the show I heard that someone I like is involved with the show, but now I can't remember who it is.
Jody Barsch* wrote:
dTheater wrote:it's only about 5 episodes in.
Anything new viewers should know, or is it pretty accesible without having seen the first several episodes?
Every episode begins with a recap of past events (but it's more than a "previously on...").

And I don't know who the creator/writer is (someone I never heard of), but Ron Howard is the executive producer and narrator and David Cross of Mr. Show is one of the cast members.
- Jim

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 27th 2004, 4:01 pm

I have to say I haven't had time to catch any of this show yet, but they did a good job of representin' at the Golden Globes on Sun. Not bad for it's first season.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Oct 22nd 2004, 10:58 pm

I had to resurrect this thread because Arrested Development just came out on DVD and it's 2nd season will begin shortly. I realized a few things that I didn't think of at the time:

Jody, the name that you were trying to think of may've been Paul Feig of Freaks and Geeks. He's directed a few episodes of AD.

Dave, that "I'm having the time of my life" line was in the pilot. It was at the very end, during the "next on..." bits. I say that's a part of the episode because the "next on..." segments never actually appear in the next episode.

Anyway, Arrested Development was inches away from being cancelled after it's first season but is holding on by a thread. It won big at the Emmys and hopefully that will help, but I urge everyone to watch it because A) it's a great show, but also B) to show the networks once and for all that a great show can develop an audience if given the chance it deserves. It will be on Sundays at 8:30 right after the Simpsons.
- Jim

MonicaG
Tino

Post by MonicaG » Oct 29th 2004, 7:24 pm

dTheater wrote:Jody, the name that you were trying to think of may've been Paul Feig of Freaks and Geeks. He's directed a few episodes of AD.
I'm sorry but do you know if Paul Feig was the same guy who did Undeclared? I know Judd Apatow did both but I wasn't certain about Feig.

For the record, Arrested Development is my favorite show on tv right now. Fantastic cast. I'm so happy it's coming back. Usually all the shows I like get cancelled after one season (see Undeclared, Freaks and Geeks, MSCL, etc.) I assumed the same would happen with AD.
Claire Fans ~ Keep Voting!

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 30th 2004, 2:24 am

Still not watching it with regularity (frankly I just forget about it, and am usually at my parents' for Sunday dinner), but I am loving it from the few times I have seen it!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Nov 1st 2004, 7:25 pm

MonicaG wrote:
dTheater wrote:Jody, the name that you were trying to think of may've been Paul Feig of Freaks and Geeks. He's directed a few episodes of AD.
I'm sorry but do you know if Paul Feig was the same guy who did Undeclared? I know Judd Apatow did both but I wasn't certain about Feig.
Yes, it's the same guy.
- Jim

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 3rd 2004, 3:15 pm

Tivo'd an episode of this and quickly went out and bought the Season 1 DVDs. I absolutely love this show. One of the most intelligent and funny shows to be on network TV in a long time. Great cast.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Nov 20th 2004, 4:06 pm

Just finished watching the DVD set and I totally agree - Arrested Development is one of the best comedy shows of our time. It's amazing how they kept the high quality over the entire first season. Every episode is as good as the one before. I love the voice-over narration by Ron Howard and the quick flash-backs and inserts ("footage not found" ... LOL!).

The DVD easter egg is hilarious :-)

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Nov 23rd 2004, 1:55 am

Sascha (sab) wrote:The DVD easter egg is hilarious :-)
Hmm...don't remember there being an Egg. Those R2 DVDs always have better stuff.

BTW, 3 episodes into season 2 and I think it's even better. The 2nd episode of this season was one of the funniest half hours I've ever seen. I love all the references to prevous stories that only a handful of people would even get.
- Jim

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 23rd 2004, 2:10 am

I've only caught AD a few times on tv, but I've really liked it. David Cross is so funny - I love him on Mr. Show. Hopefully I'll get a chance to rent the first season over thanksgiving this week when I'm home.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~