<grumble> Let it snow <grumble> <sigh>

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

snow and cold

Post by lance » Jan 30th 2004, 9:09 pm

Weather report from Cincy:

We got 4-5 inches of snow and ice on Sunday shut down most of the city. The storm struck about 1:00 pm.

The blasted library (where I work) did not close. Several employees had a hard time getting home. My co-worker ruined four tires trying to get up her street. She was literally burning rubber trying to get traction on the icy roads. My other co-worker passed a snow plow that had become stuck trying to get up a hill on the West Side of the city.

More Snow thursday night. Tonight it is very, very cold. When I left work at 6:00 pm it was 7 degrees with a wind chill of -7. Supposed to get down to 0 degrees tonight. Tomorrow will be a balmy high of 15 degrees. This is about 14 degrees below our normal high here.

So time for more hot chocolate.

-LanceMan

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Nov 10th 2004, 5:32 am

Argh, it's that time of year again. It's currently snowing in most parts of southern Germany, already 5 cm where I live. I can't remember a year when it started snowing already so early in November. The trees even still have some green leaves on! Of course, I didn't have time yet to remove the summer tires from my car and put the winter tires up ... well, I guess I know what I'm going to do on the weekend :-(

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Nov 10th 2004, 9:27 am

Sascha (sab) wrote:Argh, it's that time of year again. It's currently snowing in most parts of southern Germany, already 5 cm where I live. I can't remember a year when it started snowing already so early in November. The trees even still have some green leaves on! Of course, I didn't have time yet to remove the summer tires from my car and put the winter tires up ... well, I guess I know what I'm going to do on the weekend :-(
((((SASCH))))))
I hear ya girl, we don't have any snow sticking yet, but we're starting to get it. My hubster is trying to finish a short film and the poor actress who is the main character still has about 3-4 hrs of exterior shots :shock:
poor thing I sugested a sleeping bag to stand in while they set up the shot, then she can jump out and just do it and jump back in.

The only good thing is we will be able to ski soon!
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Nov 10th 2004, 9:34 am

wicked wrote: I hear ya girl,
Sascha is a guy...

Anyway, no snow for me yet. It certainly is early. Although the weather has become noticeably colder over the last few days. :(

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Nov 10th 2004, 12:17 pm

Sascha is a guy...
:shock: well feh...

roflmao :lol:

my apologies I have a female friend in RL named Shasah.
I guess that gift I had planned of perfume and lingerie is out then eh? ;)
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Nov 11th 2004, 5:40 am

wicked wrote:
Sascha is a guy...
:shock: well feh...

roflmao :lol:

my apologies I have a female friend in RL named Shasah.
I guess that gift I had planned of perfume and lingerie is out then eh? ;)
Hehe ... yeah, that happens quite often. Germany is probably one of very few countries where Sascha is mostly a name for boys.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 11th 2004, 2:03 pm

I knew a girl named Sasha (spelled differently) in elementary school. I had a friend in high school named Kelly (a guy), and his brother was named Shannon. Their parents wanted people to NOT assume what sex their children were when they learned their names, but mostly people thought they were girls. I kinda like the name Kelly for a boy, not Shannon so much. Adrian is another genderless name, and Ashley, and Lynn.

Back to the thread topic... I can't wait for it to snow here! For some reason I'm really excited about the winter weather this year. It's finally chilly today! I hope there will be a little snow when I go back to Wisconsin for Thanksgiving in a couple weeks.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Amika
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Amika » Nov 11th 2004, 3:09 pm

Argh, it's that time of year again. It's currently snowing in most parts of southern Germany, already 5 cm where I live. I can't remember a year when it started snowing already so early in November. The trees even still have some green leaves on! Of course, I didn't have time yet to remove the summer tires from my car and put the winter tires up ... well, I guess I know what I'm going to do on the weekend
No more green leaves here. I live in Syracuse and fall seems to have gone by so fast! It seriously feels like it should still be here and snow should still be something we only think about and not see. But Monday was the first snowfall. It's kind of nice though. The first snowfall. Up untill the end of Christmas I am fine with it. But I know I'll be complaining in February.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 11th 2004, 4:09 pm

It snowed here on Halloween. Funny how perception changes: when I was a kid I hated rainy or snowy Halloweens, but now I'm glad that it kept most of the little urchins away!

:P
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 11th 2004, 5:04 pm

Nostradamus wrote:now I'm glad that it kept most of the little urchins away!
Oh boo on you, Nostradamus! :wink: Growing up in Wisconsin, we had to incorporate our winter coats into our Halloween costumes! Rarely was it warmish on halloween where I grew up. Can you imagine a ballerina or fairy with a puffy green winter coat? :D
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Nov 12th 2004, 12:48 am

wow, you guys are living in a very different world from mine. it was actually quite warm here in the south on halloween, literally in the 80s. yesterday was the first day it got below 80 and I had to wear a jacket.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 12th 2004, 12:58 am

It was in the upper 40s here in Kansas City today and I wore a long sleeve tshirt and a sweatshirt. No jacket! Well, I guess I'm just tough. :wink: I actually did start wearing socks & tennis shoes today... until today I've been wearing sandals. (I hate wearing socks!)

What was the temperature, emmie? I can't even imagine breaking out the jackets when it's above 50 degrees. I have a friend in South Carolina that always tells me how warm it is there, they never get snow, etc. My cousin and her fiance moved from Florida to Seattle at the end of the summer --- that has to be a temperature shock! When I visited my aunt last summer there (who has lived in Seattle for 30 yrs) she said you could only stay alive in the Puget Sound for five minutes tops before you freeze to death. Cold!!!

~~Kristin~~

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Nov 12th 2004, 1:09 am

it got down to the upper 60s with a breeze yesterday. and then of course today it was back up to the upper 70s. the south is so crazy, you never know what to expect. not to mention we don't have a proper autumn. but basically I'm a wuss when it comes to cold weather. I also have a light sweater with me at all times because my classrooms are so freaking cold! ha ha

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 12th 2004, 1:24 pm

I know what you mean about cold classrooms. I constantly dress in layers here in Kansas City because of the heating/cooling systems in my campus's buildings. During the hot months, I admit that AC is all right, but they set it SO COLD in the buildings. I have to bring a sweatshirt with me when I go practice at the PAC (performing arts center) when it's in the upper 80s outside. Now that's it's cooler outside, the heat is turned up SO HIGH in those buildings that I've been wearing tank tops under long sleeve tshirts & sweatshirts so I can take those off when I get inside.

It's weird --- it seems like the people here in KC don't have a happy medium when it comes to temperature: they like it REALLY HOT or REALLY COLD. The roommates I had last year turned the heat up to 75 as soon as the temperature outside lowered to about 60 (in my opinion, it didn't need to be turned on at all yet at that point). And I wanted to tough it out for a while longer because I don't have a lot of money. In Wisconsin, we don't turn the heat on higher than 65 in the dead of winter, so I guess I'm used to being in a cooler house in the winter.

~~Kristin~~

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Nov 12th 2004, 1:59 pm

my computer is in the basement ( or basedump as my daughter would say :lol: ) I'm freezing all the time.I'm seriously consider bob cratchet gloves!

snerk