ending

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.

ending

Post by Guest » Oct 17th 1999, 2:09 am

I think they should end the show I mean it was canceled before there was an actually ending no final episode its driving me crazy does angela want brain now that she sorta figured out that he wrote the letter or does she really want jordon not just because he's jordon but because she loves him.

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Re: ending

Post by oldguy » Oct 17th 1999, 2:29 am

We've had a lot of conversations on this topic here at this site ---
You might want to check out some of the other postings. I tend
to side with those that feel the show was better off ending where
it did --- It leaves you with a question, one that says more about life
then perhaps any of the possible "answers" to the question. Also,
I think if it would have run for more seasons, it would have eventually
gone down hill (like most other shows do after running out of ideas
for new shows).

I say, enjoy the wonderful 19 episodes that were made --- They stand
as a definitive work of art about life, love, growing up, relationships,
etc...

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Oct 17th 1999, 5:47 pm

If you want to check out some other people's opinions on how it should have ended, check out the fan fiction page (http://www.mscl.com/fanfiction/)....there are some great continuation stories that give the series some closure (well, as much as is possible)...

Tracey

Post by Guest » Oct 17th 1999, 11:57 pm

ENRIQUE WAS FOUND DEAD IN A TRASH CAN JUST OUTSIDE LOS ANGELES IT'S BELIEVED IT WAS A DRUG OVERDOSE.

Post by Guest » Oct 17th 1999, 11:58 pm

i can't believe he's dead o-my god

Post by Guest » Oct 18th 1999, 12:02 am

How can you noy be grieving over Enrique's death?

Post by Guest » Oct 18th 1999, 12:04 am

Also found dead was Jared from the show.

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Oct 20th 1999, 5:40 pm

What do all these posts by anonymous mean??? What are you talking about, Enrique's dead??? I am SO confused!!!

Odessam
Jody Barsh

Post by Odessam » Oct 27th 1999, 4:24 pm

If you give me a e-mail address i can send the script for episode 19 to you if you want it.

Post by Guest » Dec 3rd 1999, 10:57 am

I would really like to see the script to episode 19.
Anyone who has it would be super-thanked if they e-mailed a copy of it to dlydon@hotmail.com.

Thanks,
David.

moviegeek
Frozen Embryo

Post by moviegeek » Dec 11th 1999, 8:52 pm

I don't know what has been said before about the ending because I'm a new member. So I may repeat what other people have said. When I first the show, when it was finally released on a national channel in France (I didn't have the cable at that time...), the show had already definitively stopped. I knew there would be no episode 20. I was first really disappointed, thinking "it's no real ending". I soon changed my mind. The producers knew the 19th episode might be the last one and did it as a possible final episode. So, what can we make of it? Well, I think that everything is in the title, "In Dreams Comes Responsibility". MSCL is our dream. From it comes our responsibility as intelligent viewers. Each of us has to make the choice between Jordan and Brian, between sex and conversation. This is why I think this ending is great. Because it is open-ended, the show asks us, ultimately to make a choice. Just as Angela lives her home and goes with Jordan in his car, we also have to leave our safe home, the TV show, and confront life. The show has given us means to better understand our world, just as our parents, like Angela's parents did. We now have the resposibility of our lives...

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Dec 13th 1999, 3:47 pm

I myself usually think I would have liked a real ending. That's why I've read through some of the fanfiction and am attempting my own. But Moviegeek, Your argument has to be the best I've heard. Something to consider.

Jack
Yearbook Team

Post by Jack » Dec 13th 1999, 4:36 pm

Moviegeek,

I have to echo Grim's comment, your interpretation is very good. To take it one step further, Patty
tells Danielle and Angela, when they're all sitting on the couch looking at Tony Poole in Patty's
high school yearbook, "(that being with Tony was good, but)...you eventually want reality." Now
I see that as a double meaning. First, as you said, the producer's know this might be the last
episode, so it's leading us to the "doorstep of reality". There will be no further episodes. Also,
they create a brilliant parallel between Jordan and Tony. They make this symbol as obvious as
can be when Jordan shows up in place of Tony. Ironically, (irony being one of the themes
running through the episode) Jordan resembles the teenage Tony, the Tony Patty remembers.
And, to virtually beat us over the head with it, when Graham calls and asks what it was like
seeing Tony again, Patty tells him it was like old times (she tells him a white lie, basically).
Now we can yet take this one step further. Those who want Angela to be with Jordan are
satisfied, because she leaves with him at the end. Those who would like Angela and Brian to be
together are given hope. This hope is in the form of Graham. Let's go back to the parallel.
Graham was a geeky high school student who couldn't get a girl to look at him as he states
in the Pilot. Yet, and this is very important, he ended up marrying the Prom Queen. Why?
Because eventually, to paraphrase, she wanted reality. So I agree with your interpretation,
it is indeed open-ended. She leaves with Jordan, but Brian has hope. And it's clearly in her
eyes. She is not repulsed by his attraction to her. It has opened her up to a larger reality,
more possibilities. I too, think it's up to us to decide. Brian or Jordan. Sex or conversation.
The tiger or the lady.

your MSCL friend,
Jack

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Dec 13th 1999, 5:23 pm

I'm just blown away by this comparison! I mean, I've considered the openess of the ending and I've thought about the whole Graham/Patty thing, but I've never really drawn the lines between all the dots- cool!

Tracey

Krakolano
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Krakolano » Mar 4th 2001, 6:17 pm

wow.
jack and moviegeek -- very astute observations there.
nice work.

---------------------------
i don't believe in making plans...whatever happens... happens.