2004 election

Political Discussion: You've been warned! Please remember we are all friends here. Insults will not be tolerated!
SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 29th 2004, 1:03 pm

John Kerry was in Madison Wi yesterday and I missed it! :evil: Well, had I known he was there earlier I would have driven up there on Wednesday afternoon and skipped class Thursday & Friday. Gul durnit.

On another election note: I heard today that for the past 70 years, whenever the Packers play the Redskins during an election year, if the Redskins won, the incumbent has won the election. If the Packers won, the 'challenger' has won the election. So this Sunday when the Packers take on the Redskins... I sure as hell hope the Pack wins.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Oct 30th 2004, 10:23 am

Another interesting fact I heard yesterday; never in history, has the US elected the shorter man in a presidential contest.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Oct 31st 2004, 12:40 pm

Here's an article on the Presidential Height Index, or PHI:

http://www.heightsite.com/9_politics/9_ ... -index.htm
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Nov 1st 2004, 5:06 am

I actually lost sleep last night over the election... :morning: I was watching Panorama on BBC1 and it got me so riled that I tossed and turned until about 3am... :evil:

Please please please don't let :redscreams: bush :redscreams: win!

One of the guys on my course is an absentee ballot (what I would have been if I'd got myself in gear soon enough...) and he was screaming blue murder because he still didn't have his ballot paper last week. It arrived (eventually) on thursday, whereupon he had to go to the embassy and vote. This week a bunch of people from my course are staying up all night. I SO wish I could but I have to be in the office at 9am the next morning so I just can't join them. :( I will content myself with being at home and falling asleep during all the safe states.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

election

Post by lance » Nov 2nd 2004, 12:09 am

Hey all,

Another weekend in the books. Saturday and Sunday I took out two groups of Californians out to canvas for John Kerry in Nevada. Again, we had a great time and met some interesting people who are very fired up over the election and its outcome.

Som interesting tidbits. Here in Nevada 91% of the population lives in two counties: Washoe County (Republican Stronghold- Reno) and Clark County (Democratic Stronghold- Las Vegas). Sunday we had a mini rally with Senator Harry Reid, if Daschle is defeated Reid is next in line for Democratic Leadership in the Senate.

Reid told us that the Republicans trounched the Democrats in Washoe County at the end of Early Voting on Friday...by a grand total of 18 votes.

This means that the Republicans are in serious trouble in Nevada. For Dubya to take Nevada and offset the huge Democratic vote from Clark County they needed many more votes than 18 in Washoe. We will see what develops.

In Ohio two Federal Judges have ruled against Republican attempts to position people in the poles to challenge the eligibility of voters.

I don't know about the popular vote, after 2000 it was made very clear that it doesn't matter.

As for the electoral vote, I don't think its going to be close. One side or the other will probably get 300 +.

I am off work tomorrow to drive people to the poles. This will be a long, but hopefully happy day.

-LanceMan

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Re: election

Post by Nothingman » Nov 2nd 2004, 1:27 am

lance wrote:Hey all,
In Ohio two Federal Judges have ruled against Republican attempts to position people in the poles to challenge the eligibility of voters.
That is just shameful, but it's a good sign that they are fearing the young vote. There are twice the number of young people commited to voting in this election than in the last one, and they don't know how to reach us. Fear the unpredictable, we're coming.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

starbug
Lifehead

Re: election

Post by starbug » Nov 2nd 2004, 5:05 am

Nothingman wrote:Fear the unpredictable, we're coming.
:D
I certainly hope so. Only hours to go!

kappster
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kappster » Nov 3rd 2004, 3:21 am

I feel sick. I can't stop watching the damn election coverage even though i lost hope hours ago. Still keeping my fingers crossed though.

YvBaBy
Jody Barsh

Post by YvBaBy » Nov 3rd 2004, 11:33 am

I'm disappointed n frustrated
I still can't believe that bush got re-elected (I've already lost hope that kerry will win)
Im sorry, but there is something wrong with the American people.....how can they vote for such a man
3/4 of europe would vote for kerry
n im really, really scared....especially of the fact that i think that his regligious believes and the how he presents them is as dangerous as those islamic fanatics....
i don't know....im just really shocked right now
ImageImage

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 3rd 2004, 11:38 am

He's not re-elected yet. Bush still has a long ways to go.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

YvBaBy
Jody Barsh

Post by YvBaBy » Nov 3rd 2004, 11:39 am

but what i've heard so far kerry has to get 93% of the votes that have not analysied yet and that is just not possible
ImageImage

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Nov 3rd 2004, 1:04 pm

Kerry just called Bush and conceded defeat.

Oh, well. :-( A difference of 3.5 million votes was just too much - electoral college or not.

I guess now it's "Hillary 2008!" ...

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 3rd 2004, 1:40 pm

I feel very sorry for those people in our country that bought Bush's lies. I feel sorry for those live in such fear, that they actually think one person over another in a certain office will make a difference as to whether or not we will be attacked by terrorists. George W. Bush has been doing the same thing that happened to us on 9/11/2001 to Iraq several times in the past couple of years. How is being a terrorist stopping terrorism? I feel sorry for people who didn't pay attention to the actual issues, that let their religion dictate politics, that voted for someone because he can crack a few jokes and spit out a few crowd-pleasing lines, voted for someone who cannot properly and efficiently answer questions and define political terms. I feel sorry for those that are narrow-minded and refused to have real discussions of the issues, refused to open their eyes to the reality of this unnecessary war, and refused to listen to John Kerry or anyone who opposed George W. Bush. I don't understand how minorities, young people (under 35), middle- to lower-class people, and women could support Bush. We are moving backwards into the future, people.

I truly believe that in the next four years, all the lies and deceit that Bush has spoonfed the American people will rise to the surface. The s*it will hit the fan, so to speak. I'm not confident that it will result in an impeachment or resignation of Bush, but hopefully it will get the American people using their ears, eyes, and brains again.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Nov 3rd 2004, 1:46 pm

from the outside the whole thing has left me stunned.
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Nov 3rd 2004, 2:34 pm

CNN International just showed some interesting statistics: Not terrorism or the war in Iraq or the economy were the top concerns of the voters (like I as an "outsider" would have expected) --- no, "moral concerns" was no.1 on the agenda. Bush got re-elected because of his opinions towards same-sex marriage, stem-cell research and so on.