Halloween and the Jesus Brigade

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
wicked
Catalano

Halloween and the Jesus Brigade

Post by wicked » Oct 29th 2004, 4:28 pm

Now let me preface this by saying I have no problem with Jesus, it's some of his fan club I have some trouble with!

So in school today the kida are all decked out for Halloween, and they are having their parties , eating junk food ( or in Griers case food that is orange and healthy [smiley=laugh.gif] :lol: smart teacher)and generally havuing fun Grier ( my 6 year old in grade 0ne) comes skipping out with a lolli decorated like and "angel" My first reaction is "How cute !" till I notice wrtting on the wings saing
"Jesus loves you" OK not so bad, who has so much love they can turn down any..but on the other side" He is the salvation of your soul, he died for your sins." ???

OK this is waaay to far for me! If it was from a private house fine if it was from a church all good..BUT THIS WAS HANDED IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL!

I also found out that it was an adult INSIDE the school handing out candy to children! NOT candy sent by some "well meaning" (cough) parent, but some stranger handing it out.

I'm absolutely furious! so being the s*ht disturber I am I have reported it all to the school administration. If for no other reason than adults should NOT bein the school without sigining in and having a visitors pass .

sorry rant over.
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 29th 2004, 6:19 pm

Holy crap I'd be angry too! I can't believe that those bible-pushers would do that. I remember when I was in middle and high school, there would be someone like that standing outside of the school building, on a corner - not right by the door, handing out mini bibles. I hated that as well, but at least they were smart enough not to go inside the building!

That's so outrageous and dangerous for the children going to school there. I would have tossed that candy out immediately. :evil:
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Nov 2nd 2004, 12:14 am

Kristin wrote:Holy crap I'd be angry too! I can't believe that those bible-pushers would do that. I remember when I was in middle and high school, there would be someone like that standing outside of the school building, on a corner - not right by the door, handing out mini bibles. I hated that as well, but at least they were smart enough not to go inside the building!

That's so outrageous and dangerous for the children going to school there. I would have tossed that candy out immediately. :evil:
Is nothing sacred? Yet another holiday spoiled.

-LanceMan

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Nov 2nd 2004, 2:26 pm

Amen to that :D

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 3rd 2004, 3:46 pm

Horrendous. I would be coming down on the principal so hard right now and the board of ed. I am so sick of this crap. :evil:

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 3rd 2004, 5:00 pm

Recently I read a news article about a school banning Halloween festivities because they were concerned that it might offend "real" witches (Wiccans, I presume). I asked an occult-practioner friend of mind if he was ever offended by mainstream Halloween events; he said no, but he was offended by the idea that the PC Police assumed they could read his mind and halted a harmless rite of childhood as a result.

:roll:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 3rd 2004, 6:14 pm

Nostradamus wrote:Recently I read a news article about a school banning Halloween festivities because they were concerned that it might offend "real" witches (Wiccans, I presume). I asked an occult-practioner friend of mind if he was ever offended by mainstream Halloween events; he said no, but he was offended by the idea that the PC Police assumed they could read his mind and halted a harmless rite of childhood as a result.

:roll:
Yes, it was for the Wiccans (allegedly!). Many believe that it had more to do with the local Christians than it did with the Wiccans.

I have been a long time occult practioner/student (non pagan). Personally, being a non-Pagan I do not put much importance into Halloween/Samhain. I enjoy Halloween as much as the next guy, but I put as much religious reverance into it as I do Christmas. I know plenty of Pagans (non-Wiccans) who love Halloween, not for religious reasons but because it is fun. And almost no Wiccans that I have talked to feel that Halloween (or the representation of witches) is bad. There of course have been a few Wiccans with a chip on their shoulder that do bitch about the representation of witches on that day and in Hollywood, but that is a whole 'nother topic IMO.

If it really was brought about by Wiccans though I have to laugh. Man, some Wiccans just rub me the wrong way. :lol:

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 3rd 2004, 7:57 pm

Some people are just so uptight! If some kid or their parents have a problem with Halloween celebrations at school, guess what? Call 'em in sick. Keep them home from school that day. Big whoop. When 99% of people love Halloween and that 1% doesn't, get over yourself!

How do you think the Halloween episode of MSCL would have turned out if Patty had a big problem with Angela & Danielle celebrating at school? Haha! :lol:
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Nov 4th 2004, 11:17 am

religon aside there was a stranger handing out candy in the school :shock:
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"