What are lifers listening to these days?

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 18th 2004, 4:46 pm

schris wrote:Im listening to:
Postal Service

..... and lots of others. Has anyone heard of Elbow? They are from the UK but I have seen a couple shows here in the US. They are awesome!
:evil: Everybody now listens to Postal Service, but never replied in my thread from over a year ago :evil:

I have heard a few things from Elbow. Not bad, but nothing great IMO. Definitely listenable from what I can remember. I will dig up those few mp3s and give them another listen since it has been a long time now at this point

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Oct 18th 2004, 4:58 pm

fnordboy wrote:
schris wrote:Im listening to:
Postal Service

..... and lots of others. Has anyone heard of Elbow? They are from the UK but I have seen a couple shows here in the US. They are awesome!
:evil: Everybody now listens to Postal Service, but never replied in my thread from over a year ago :evil:

I have heard a few things from Elbow. Not bad, but nothing great IMO. Definitely listenable from what I can remember. I will dig up those few mp3s and give them another listen since it has been a long time now at this point
Now that Postal Service is on the radio that is probably true. I have a couple of Elbow cd's and they are WAY better live.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 21st 2004, 12:18 am

Well, the first extra credit soundtrack just came in yesterday (my sophomores have the option to create a soundtrack to Catcher in the Rye, making a mixed tape or CD, and then creating liner notes explaining how each song realtes to moments, and themes in the book). Last year I got a punk version, a rap version, and a grunge version. This year Holden's gone SKA! it's a great CD, and this little over achiever is making a volume one and avolume two. So, I've only got Catcher in the Rye Volume One right now, which sees Holden through to that first trip to the bars once he reaches NYC. This CD will be playing in my car for a while.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Oct 21st 2004, 10:35 am

Jody, the soundtrack is a great idea. I wish I had a teacher that did stuff like that when I was in HS. I know your job is stressing you out right now, but I don't think their's any denying, you're good. :)
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Amika
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Amika » Oct 21st 2004, 12:07 pm

Modest Mouse - Float On
Crossfade - Cold
Anything 80s

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Oct 21st 2004, 2:15 pm

well juts recently I finally got my own discman thingy...so I've been digging out all my old CD's , juts lately it's been the violent femmes.

I love the idea of making a soundtrack to explaine relevance of a book!

too bad you don;t love your job more you are making a difference in kids lives there!
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Oct 21st 2004, 10:32 pm

wow, that's like a win/win situation, huh? the kids get extra credit and a fun and inspiring project. and you get a cool cd! smart thinking

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Oct 23rd 2004, 9:37 am

For their next assignment Jody's class will learn the value of hard work by cleaning out her apartment and detailing her car.

:D
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 23rd 2004, 12:37 pm

Nostradamus wrote:For their next assignment Jody's class will learn the value of hard work by cleaning out her apartment and detailing her car.

:D
Not a bad idea! Spending my life grading their essays and holding the hands of their analy insane parents leaves little time to clean these days. Maybe I should rethink the actual next assignment which is to do a community based research project on the resources available to teens experiencing any multitude of problems (abuse, depression, pregnancy, bullying, substance problems, etc...) and then to effectively present that information in some way to our school and the neighboring intermediate school. Damn, could have just asked them to bring feather dusters and lysol! :D (But how do you make a rubric for washing the dishes?)
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Oct 27th 2004, 3:45 pm

Now playing in the background: Mezzanine from Massive Attack. Cool stuff.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Jan 11th 2005, 2:24 pm

Just got a copy of the Garden State soundtrack and it is awesome! The Shins, Iron & Wine, Zero 7.... Good stuff!

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 11th 2005, 3:10 pm

Hey, schris, so did I! I totally agree - a very chill collection of songs. I loved the movie as well. I really like the Zero 7 song - In The Waiting Line. I also recommend the Lost in Translation and Kill Bill I soundtracks.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Jan 11th 2005, 5:33 pm

There is another Zero 7 song I love called 'Destiny'. I really liked the movie too. Thanks for the recomendations. I will have to check those out.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 11th 2005, 6:05 pm

Just this past year I've started to appreciate soundtracks. My favorite of all time has to be the Blues Brothers soundtrack. Over my winter break I wanted to make a Sex and the City soundtrack for myself, but it has proven harder than I first thought. Here is the list I've come up with:

1. Sex and the City (main theme) – Groove Armada
2. Respect – Aretha Franklin
3. You And Me And The Bottle Makes Three Tonight (Baby) – Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
4. Just You, Just Me – Katherine Whalen (or Ella Fitzgerald)
5. They Can’t Take That Away From Me – Sarah Vaughn
6. I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor
7. Devil May Care – Diana Krall
8. Love Hangover – Diana Ross
9. The Way We Were – Barbara Streisand
10. Hot Stuff – Donna Summer
11. Hot Child In The City – Nick Gilder
12. Get To Know Ya – Maxwell
13. Got To Be Real – Cheryl Lynn
14. When I Fall In Love – Lawrence Feldman (or another saxophone artist)
15. Are You Gonna Go My Way – Lenny Kravitz
16. By Your Side – Sade
17. These Boots Are Made For Walkin’ – Nancy Sinatra
18. Body And Soul – Billie Holiday
19. Moon River – Henry Mancini (Andy Williams version)
20. I Can’t Get Next To You – Al Green
21. Try A Little Tenderness – Otis Redding
22. Feelin’ Good – Nina Simone
23. Is That All There Is – Diane Reeves (or maybe Dinah Washington)
24. Main Vein – Jamiroquai
25. Breathe – Michelle Branch
26. Proud Mary – Ike & Tina Turner
27. If You Leave Me Now – Chicago
28. In The Waiting Line – Zero 7
29. La Belle et le Bad Boy – MC Solaar
30. You Got The Love (Now Voyager Mix) – The Source & Candi Staton

I have or can download most of these songs (I would download from msn.com music page for $.99 each), but some are very hard to find: #1, #3, #17, #29, & #30. I don't know if I'll get those - <sigh>. I'm not sure the soundtrack would work, especially without #1 & #30.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 11th 2005, 10:14 pm

I've been working on expanding my CD collection, mostly through local secondhand music stores and secondspin.com. I've started by picking up some music with MSCL connections -- some Violent Femmes, the Cranberries, Buffalo Tom, and Juliana Hatfield. Juliana's latest CD, In Exile Deo is very good. It has a more grownup sound. But her early stuff is good, too. I have some of the CDs that she made as a member of the Blake Babies. I've been such a rabid classic rock fan that I missed out on much of the "alternative" scene. So, this music is new to me.

Next, I'm going to pick up some music related to Garden State, Zach Braff's movie. He's the star of Scrubs. The movie's soundtrack is awesome -- the Shins, Frou Frou, etc.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/