Life As We Know It

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Oct 10th 2004, 3:48 pm

Yes, I know what you mean. There aren't many normal looking kids, except for Kelly Osbourne. There were a handful of really good looking kids in my high school. The kids in this show are quite different.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Oct 11th 2004, 2:43 pm

I didn't have your post in mind...
what do you mean you didn't have me in mind...don't you know it's all about ME????? :wink: it's always all about me :twisted:

isn't it? :shock:
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Oct 12th 2004, 5:52 pm

No one mentioned the obvious shout-out (in my head, anyway) to MSCL? When Kelly Osbourne told her guy friend that she wanted to be his girlfriend, that she wanted him to hold her hand walking down the hall in front of everyone (or something like that)?

I also think the teacher-student story-line has been over-used: Boston Public, Dawson's Creek... It also reminded me of The Wonder Years when Kevin had a huge crush on Ms. White (?) and she picked him up in her yellow bug for a ride, just like this teacher picked up the kid in her yellow bug. Another shout-out perhaps?

The talking to the camera kind of bugged me. Bueller?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Oct 12th 2004, 11:49 pm

Megs wrote:No one mentioned the obvious shout-out (in my head, anyway) to MSCL? When Kelly Osbourne told her guy friend that she wanted to be his girlfriend, that she wanted him to hold her hand walking down the hall in front of everyone (or something like that)?

I also think the teacher-student story-line has been over-used: Boston Public, Dawson's Creek... It also reminded me of The Wonder Years when Kevin had a huge crush on Ms. White (?) and she picked him up in her yellow bug for a ride, just like this teacher picked up the kid in her yellow bug. Another shout-out perhaps?

The talking to the camera kind of bugged me. Bueller?
oh yeah, I remember that part now. and for some reason it really bugged me that she used that line about holding hands. once again, my theory that they are trying way too hard to make this like MSCL.

I hate the talking to the camera. it would be okay if it was just one character once in a while. but it's really overkill. maybe it will be toned down as the series goes along. dunno.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 13th 2004, 12:25 am

They had Carrie talking to the camera in the first season of Sex And The City. I don't like it that much either. Every time I go back and watch the first season it's sort of jarring to me. Glad they tossed that idea for the rest of the seasons!

I have not seen Life As We Know It. Not to sound petty or shallow here, but in the commercials they show Kelly Osbourne with some good-looking guy as her boyfriend... I mean, I don't know because I didn't see the show... but does that seem disproportional to anyone else? High school boys who are hot and know they are hot, don't go for the slightly overweight-punkish-outsider-type girl... at least, they never did where I went to high school. (Don't worry, I'm not letting out my baggage from hs here! That would require a whole new thread :wink: )
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Oct 13th 2004, 11:16 am

They had Carrie talking to the camera in the first season of Sex And The City. I don't like it that much either. Every time I go back and watch the first season it's sort of jarring to me. Glad they tossed that idea for the rest of the seasons!
Yeah I kept thinking od SIC dropping the breaking of the fourth wall too., I thinking if the series survives they will cut that particulare affectation
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 14th 2004, 4:32 am

I just found out that Kim (of The Most Awesome Thing I Saw on TV This Week fame) is recapping Life as We Know It, but somehow even that isn't enough to convince me to start watching. I will content myself with reading the recap and laughing at her comments.

:lol:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

EricMontreal22
Three Rivers Resident

Post by EricMontreal22 » Oct 14th 2004, 7:45 pm

Kristin wrote:They had Carrie talking to the camera in the first season of Sex And The City. I don't like it that much either. Every time I go back and watch the first season it's sort of jarring to me. Glad they tossed that idea for the rest of the seasons!

I have not seen Life As We Know It. Not to sound petty or shallow here, but in the commercials they show Kelly Osbourne with some good-looking guy as her boyfriend... I mean, I don't know because I didn't see the show... but does that seem disproportional to anyone else? High school boys who are hot and know they are hot, don't go for the slightly overweight-punkish-outsider-type girl... at least, they never did where I went to high school. (Don't worry, I'm not letting out my baggage from hs here! That would require a whole new thread :wink: )
Actually that's one of the few things about the show I'm sure I do like. John the guy she's with is seen as the nerd of the bunch (whether that's realistic or not) and has a thing for bigger girls but is embarassed by his feeling for her and sorta comes to grips with it.

Besides the nostalgia the show gives me for being filmed aroudn where I lived in Vancouver I'm still really not sure about it

E

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Oct 14th 2004, 9:57 pm

I missed tonight's episode. I forgot all about it.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Oct 14th 2004, 10:23 pm

I think it replays on ABC Family. That's how I saw the pilot episode.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

CrimsonGlow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by CrimsonGlow » Oct 15th 2004, 11:10 am

dumb show. just like all of them now.
"Seeing a teacher's actual lunch is like, sooo depressing"

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 15th 2004, 3:40 pm

TomSpeed wrote:I missed tonight's episode. I forgot all about it.
TWoP has the recaplet posted. The full length recap will be up in a few days.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

mrsLeto26
Tino

Post by mrsLeto26 » Oct 15th 2004, 10:24 pm

i love life as we know it! its like, a mix between mscl and the o.c. so great.
What I like, dread, is when people who know you in completely different ways end up in the same area. And you have to develop, this like, combination you, on the spot.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 16th 2004, 12:02 pm

Okay, I admit I had the show on in the background while I was cleaning my apt :oops:. I wanted to see if it lived up to the hype.

I didn't buy hardly any of this show. Penis cancer? Please! No high school boy is that stupid. We all had to take health class. I don't think a high school boy would have scheduled an emergency visit to his family doctor (or known how to) without the help of his parents.

And the teacher/student relationship. No matter how young a teacher is, they wouldn't open up like that to a student, and if they did, not so quickly. Maybe after the student has graduated. "The girls are prettier and younger than me, I'm so jealous, I want the boys to have crushes on me." Yeah right. I have a friend who is a high school teacher ---- when he started he was only about 5-6 years older than his students. Sure, he could admit that some of his young female students were attractive, but he NEVER would have acted on it. And when the teacher on the show caught her student in the liquor store, she would have busted him in real life. She could get fired or even arrested for helping him get the liquor. I know every HS teacher of mine would have busted me, no matter how friendly and cool they were towards me.

There is no comparison to MSCL, because MSCL was realistic and believable and LAWKI isn't at all. I don't think I'll be watching this show again.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

toolostinyou
Jody Barsh

Post by toolostinyou » Oct 17th 2004, 2:41 pm

wicked wrote:
As for Life as We Know It, I won't be watching for several reasons. First, the fact that it's another ABC show about high school kids using the MSCL-esque type font is too much for me.
yes that kinda stuck out for me too.
kelley osbourne...enough said.
that bugs me too, but its not a bad show. or maybe i'm in such need of MSCL that i settle for the last resort. and yeah, jelly osbourne in that show bugs me. i mean i didn't hate seeing her in the show as much as i thought i would, but i still wish they had cast someone else.
"Apparently Delia Fischer smiles at everyone. She probably comes from one of
those small towns where everyone's friendly and smiles at you for no reason.
I hate that type of town."
-- Brian