Autumn

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
special_k
Yearbook Team
Location: Closer to here than there, in the land between dreaming and waking...

Autumn

Post by special_k » Sep 25th 2004, 8:55 pm

Autumn is upon us and I thought it'd be great if we could talk about this most transformative of seasons. I suppose I've been in love with Autumn ever since childhood and my first few Halloween's. There was always something so magical about watching the leaves turn and fall from the trees, and nothing more fun than jumping in mountains of them in my grandparent's backyard. I remember candy apples. Gran baking cinnamon apples, and the first pumpkin pies I baked from scratch when I was in the 8th grade, my ambition far exceeding my talent. Then there were all the classic monster movies that were a staple of that time in my life. The cool winds were such a comfort as I set off for school in the early morning indigo. Funny, the things you can take for granted.

Years ago, speaking with a friend of our favourite films, I mentioned Hannah And Her Sisters. He wasn't at all surprised that I should hold that film so dearly. "It's Autumn. That's your season." He was right. When the air grows cooler and the nights longer, I'm filled with such a wistfulness. I crave hot apple cider, freshly baked pumpkin loaf or cakes, sitting by the window in a chenile throw, the scent of cinnamon, Dark Shadows, and The Creature From The Black Lagoon. I'll have to compile a list of things that feel "Autumn" to me. Anyone else?
"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong, and those are the ones that change your life."

Jessie, "Once and Again"

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 25th 2004, 10:10 pm

my cousins and I would also play in our grandparents' backyard and rake all the leaves together in a pile. it was great because they had this small hill and it was perfect for rolling down and diving in some leaves. I have to agree that autumn is a nice season, but it's not my favorite. and that might have something to do with the fact that I live in the heart of the south. our autumn here is about a week. it stays warm til mid-november usually and then just suddenly gets cold in december. I'm sure if I lived in the north, surrounded by mountains and such, that I would have a different opinion.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 26th 2004, 7:14 pm

Back when I was in Cincy I was not a huge fan of the fall. Days grew shorter and progessively colder with things beginning to die off. I did love the changing of the colors of the trees though.

Here in Vegas I love the arrival of fall. What does fall mean out here? It means that the high is no longer 110 or 115 but merely 90 or 95. Might not sound like a lot but the weather is much more tolerable. Being a newbie out here I don't yet miss the falls of back East.

One of my sisters went through an opposite move. Till recently she was in Houston wishing for four seasons. Now she is starting out in New York City looking forward to fall colors and winter snows.

-LanceMan

special_k
Yearbook Team
Location: Closer to here than there, in the land between dreaming and waking...

Post by special_k » Sep 26th 2004, 7:33 pm

I can relate all too well, having spent the greater part of my life in the oven called Texas. I'd love to live somewhere with four distinct seasons. Washington, perhaps? It's just so hot here all the time and the humidity never seems to let up. Heh. I forgot you lived in Vegas.
:-P
"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong, and those are the ones that change your life."

Jessie, "Once and Again"

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Sep 27th 2004, 12:53 pm

The fall is great untill november when everything is dead and cold, but winter hasn't shown up yet. But the smell of changing leaves is one of my favorites. I am finding myself more open to relationships as the season changes, purhaps it goes along with the idea of it being a comforting season. I say relationships because at this point I don't have a desire to be in anything serious, but I do seem to be enjoying spending time with girls on a more relaxed intimate level.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 27th 2004, 2:27 pm

lance wrote:
One of my sisters went through an opposite move. Till recently she was in Houston wishing for four seasons. Now she is starting out in New York City looking forward to fall colors and winter snows.

-LanceMan
I had a friend from Louisiana move up to New York City last year. that winter I got the funniest emails. mostly describing how it was "b*tch-@ss cold" and that the beauty of the snow only lasted so long.

I think my distaste for autumn also stems from my absolute hatred of winter. I hate the short days, the cold, the death of all the foliage, the cold, wearing layers, etc. and autumn, for me, is foreshadowing that winter is soon to come.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 28th 2004, 11:47 pm

emmie wrote:
lance wrote:

-LanceMan
I had a friend from Louisiana move up to New York City last year. that winter I got the funniest emails. mostly describing how it was "b*tch-@ss cold" and that the beauty of the snow only lasted so long.

I think my distaste for autumn also stems from my absolute hatred of winter. I hate the short days, the cold, the death of all the foliage, the cold, wearing layers, etc. and autumn, for me, is foreshadowing that winter is soon to come.
My sister in question grew up in Cincy so she knows what 0 degrees with a -20 degree windchill is like. She will probably get more snow in NYC than Cincinnati. At the moment she claims to be looking forward to it. We'll have to see how that pans out.

I didn't like winters in Cincy mostly because more often than not, there was no snow. Just grey and browns with overcast skies day after day. I hear you abou the shorter days. One reason to look forward to January in the Northern Hemisphere, days start to get longer.

-LanceMan

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Oct 5th 2004, 9:15 pm

I hate the heat so Fall is a welcome change for me. I have planted a lot of trees noted for their fall color so I can look forward to lots of bright colors reflecting in the lake this time of year. I also love Spring though and those breezy sunny days that push old man winter on his way.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 14th 2004, 2:22 am

I love Autumn and Winter. I don't know, I guess I love all the seasons. Autumn and Winter mean snuggling with the boyfriend watching a movie, lots of birthdays in the family and among friends, going home to visit family and friends, football games, hockey games, my brother's basketball games, and I actually like the colder temperatures and snow and ice. Reminds me of being a kid at home again. Maybe it's because I'm from Wisconsin? :D
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~