Shameless request for lesson planning support...

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Sep 23rd 2004, 5:12 am

Nostradamus wrote: Another one for the cultural translation file; most American schools give a letter grade with a '+' or '-' modifier, based on the percentage score. Being a shameless grade-whore, I always did the extra credit questions and thus sometimes scored over 100%.
Ahhh. I see. The gradings in the UK don't do that for formal exam marks. U (ungraded - fail, in normal terms). Then I think it's a G, F, E, D, C, B, A, A*. None of that +/- thing. That's for GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education, taken at age 16). Usually people do 8 or 9 subjects. A-levels (A for Advanced) range from A-E and that's it, and are taken aged 18, non-compulsory. Usually people do 3 subjects in more depth.
Nostradamus wrote: While I'm thinking of it, what is an 'O-level'? I hear that on a lot of Brit-coms.
An O-level (O is for 'Ordinary' - :roll: ) was the precursor to the modern GSCE, and was taken at age 16 too. I think normally you took 5-6 subjects but they were before my time so I'm not entirely sure. People argue that they were more difficult but I'm thinking it's because there were less of them so they packed in more content.

Progression on to A-levels depends how well you did at GSCE (or O-Levels if you're older).

Just to confuse matters, it's changed since I was at school and I understand that you can now embark on an AS (Advanced Supplementary) level which is the same difficulty level as an A-level but half the content. You start off taking 6 of these and take exams at the end of the year. The idea is that you find the ones you're good at and continue them for another year, making it an A-level. You drop the ones you score less highly in, til you've got 3 A-levels just like normal.
:? I think.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

special_k
Yearbook Team
Location: Closer to here than there, in the land between dreaming and waking...

Post by special_k » Sep 23rd 2004, 7:46 am

Nothingman wrote:The thing I remember the most is my teacher always said "Science Fiction is the only genre that deals with reality". I never realised that untill then, and then I understood that good SciFi always asks a fundamental question about our reality. The irony is many people view it as the furthest genre from reality, close minded fools. I guess I just played my geek card.
Please, keep on playing it. I wish there'd been guys like you in some of my classes. So many of them were ultra conservative, afraid of anything remotely different. I mean, what was the point?
"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong, and those are the ones that change your life."

Jessie, "Once and Again"

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Sep 24th 2004, 12:03 am

This post reminded me, totally random: I have always wanted to write an essay comparing Sidney Carton's life-long devotion to Lucy (A Tale of Two Cities) to Forrest Gump's life-long devotion to Jenny.

Discuss. :wink:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 24th 2004, 1:11 am

Nostradamus wrote:Another one for the cultural translation file; most American schools give a letter grade with a '+' or '-' modifier, based on the percentage score. Being a shameless grade-whore, I always did the extra credit questions and thus sometimes scored over 100%.
At my middle school and high school, our grades were strictly letter grades without any pluses or minuses (on tests and papers, teachers would sometimes write in a plus or minus to indicate which range of the grade you were on, but as far as final grades were concerned, there were only letters). When I began college, grades were the same way. A few years ago (well, more than five years ago), I remember several schools switching to include +/- in official transcripts. They always try to make it sound like the pluses and minuses will help your GPA.

:roll:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Sep 24th 2004, 5:09 am

Megs wrote:This post reminded me, totally random: I have always wanted to write an essay comparing Sidney Carton's life-long devotion to Lucy (A Tale of Two Cities) to Forrest Gump's life-long devotion to Jenny.

Discuss. :wink:
heh :D that's a good one!

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 24th 2004, 5:14 am

In a similar vein, my friend and I have discussed a compare/contrast study of Jordan Catalano and Winnie Cooper as fantasy objects.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Sep 24th 2004, 8:45 pm

I see more of a comparison between Winnie Cooper and Joey Potter from Dawson's Creek. The perfect, unatainable girl next door that the title character is unnaturaly infatuated with for the greater part of their lives.

Uh, edited b/c I know how to spell "Dawson's". :mrgreen:
Last edited by Megs on Sep 25th 2004, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 24th 2004, 9:57 pm

Well, the only reason we chose Jordan and Winnie is that we loved MSCL and the Wonder Years.

:D

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Sep 24th 2004, 11:11 pm

We are not allowed to give +'s or -'s. It is really irritating because there is a huge difference from an 79% and a 70% etc. Parents see a B but really their child had a 80%, and they are up in arms when it drops to a C.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !