Miami Vice

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Miami Vice

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 10th 2004, 8:38 pm

I never thought this day would come due to the musical clearances. If they can afford musical clearances for Miami Vice, then I am holding out hope the same can be done for the Wonder Years!

From tvshowsondvd:
In recent news like this report, we've been getting more and more hints that Miami Vice is hitting DVD very soon. Now, we have GREAT news from one of our most dedicated readers (and story contributors), who spoke to a studio spokesperson at the annual Licensing Show, held in New York City.

"Todd S", who's one of the earliest registered members at TVShowsOnDVD (and has often tipped us off to various bits of news), posted this story at the Home Theater Forum discussion website. In it, he mentions our last Miami Vice news post, linked above, and builds on that information. Here is Todd's TV-on-DVD news from that story:
I just got back from the Licensing show at the Javitz Center in NY. This is where companies come to license out their properties. All of the studios were there. I was able to find out the following tv info:

-A follow up to David & Gord's info. Miami Vice season one should be coming out by the end of the year. With season two early next year. Supposedly, with the music intact. Just be aware she wasn't in charge of this. But, she did give me a promo sheet of "Retro is Back" and their were 5 shows on them...Knight Rider, The Munsters, Battlestar Galactica, Leave it to Beaver and Miami Vice.

-Over at MGM a rep said he heard that the New Outer Limits show will be coming out in season sets. But, he didn't have a time frame yet.
I asked Todd if he could share the promo sheet he mentioned, and he was happy to send me a scan of it. On it, nothing about the shows (or films) were mentioned other than to go over the premise of the series and promote how popular it is with potential DVD buyers (don't forget, this gathering was aimed at industry insiders). Here is a close-up of the Vice section:

click here to view

As you can see (well, you may have to squint), the second paragraph says "The show's memorable music, fast cars, and trend-setting clothes all contributed to the culture and personality of the rockin' 80's." It seems unlikely that they would be promoting the music of the show so obviously if there were plans to water it down on the DVD release. So this hand-out, while not very specific, seems to agree with what Todd was told by the spokesperson at the show.

Here's a look at the overall layout of the promo sheet, front and back. If everything Todd S. was told is true, then Vice fans will be very very happy, and pretty darn soon! Thank you, Todd, for all of this info. Stay tuned for more developments, as they happen.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

candygirl

Post by lance » Jun 14th 2004, 6:13 pm

Candy,

Thanks for the news. Yeah, I was pretty surprised to hear that Universal is opening the floodgated this year on DVDs. I think I will have to pick up Miami Vice when it comes out.

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 26th 2004, 1:28 am

tvshowsondvd has more news on Miami Vice!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Sep 16th 2004, 3:24 am

Yes!

I loved that show, expecially the first season when everybody complained that it was too dark and cryptic and unintelligible! :D

I like Shakespeare and understand that, too.

And they'd better not mess with the music.
:lol:

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 21st 2004, 12:14 am

I loved the show because of Edward James Olmos character.

For that reason alone I might just pick it up this January, along with Battlestar Galactica 2003.

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 8th 2004, 6:49 pm

The latest from tvshowsondvd:
After a long wait, filled with lots of downs and ups and strangeness, Universal Studios Home Video has finally made their official announcement for Miami Vice - Season 1 on DVD!

All 22 episodes from the first year, including the 90-minute pilot, are included in a box set consisting of 3 "DVD-18" discs (double-sided, dual-layer on each side) that contain 1105 minutes of show. Video is in the original 1.33:1 "Full Frame" aspect ratio. As promised, sound has been remixed to English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround. Subtitles in French and Spanish are on board, and the episodes are closed captioned for the hearing impaired.

We were told first via a set of trailer to expect this release before 2004 was over, then the studio told one of our regular correspondents that the date would be January 18th. Now Universal has pushed it back just a tiny bit further, and set a new - and, for the first time, official! - street date of Feburary 8, 2005. After all this waiting, I think we can stand a few more weeks, can't we? The SRP for this set is $59.98, which is reasonable considering that we are getting the equivalent of six standard dual-layer discs for about ten bucks each...and that's before discount!

Extras have not been announced just yet, nor do we have cover art so far. But we'll bring all of that to you just a heartbeat after we get it, so stay tuned!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 9th 2004, 5:19 pm

More news from tvshowsondvd:
The show that defined a decade is now the DVD event of the year! The cops. The cars. The clothes. From executive producer Michael Mann (Collateral, Heat) comes the first season of the explosive, groundbreaking detective show that redefined the word "cool." Set against the seamy and steamy Miami underworld, ride shotgun with suave Vice cops Sonny Crockett (Golden Globe winner Don Johnson) and Rico Tubbs (Philip Michael Thomas) as they battle a never-ending gallery of criminals, drug dealers and lowlifes. Also starring Emmy and Gold Globe winner Edward James Olmos, and a powerhouse roster of guest stars including Ving Rhames, Jimmy Smits (who tried out for the role of Tubbs!) and Bruce Willis.

An unforgettable soundtrack is now remixed in 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound! The episodes on these DVDs are set to Jan Hammer's electrifying score and feature a soundtrack of rock legends including Phil Collins, U2, Elvis Presley, Peter Gabriel, Eric Clapton, Tina Turner, The Police, Glenn Frey, and many more. Every episode crackles with excitement and stylish flair.

This package of 3 double-sided DVDs features all 21 episodes from the first season, plus the groundbreaking double-length pilot, and is also packed with these explosive bonus features:

* Series Introduction from Michael Mann
* The Vibe of Vice
* Back-Story: Miami Vice
* The Fashion
* The Music

As we mentioned earlier today, $59.98 is the list price for this long-awaited compilation, running at 1105 minutes, and it hits the streets on February 8, 2005.
Click here to view the cover art.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Dec 1st 2004, 6:17 am

In the aforementioned BRAVO list of the greatest 100 TV characters, Crockett & Tubbs placed 61st, just below Mork.

:-P
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 8th 2005, 12:54 am

Well I am going to pick up my copy tomorrow. Anybody else picking up Miami Vice?

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 16th 2005, 9:02 pm

Been watching Vice...

Show holds up pretty well. Neat seeing so many stars when they were first starting out. James Edward Olmos rules.

-LanceMan

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Feb 19th 2005, 3:08 am

If i had a spare dime to my name. :(
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 22nd 2005, 11:10 pm

So-Called Loon wrote:If i had a spare dime to my name. :(
Yeah, sharing your pain this month.

:cry:

-LanceMan