Vegas Again!!

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Vegas Again!!

Post by mglenn » Jan 14th 2004, 11:24 pm

Thats right, its that time of year! VEGAS BABY!!! I'm heading to the city of neon on Friday the 16th through Tuesday the 20th. Staying at the Excalibur. So if you're in the area stop by the Excalibur Poker Room, look for the guy in the red hat and say hello.

PS: Hopefully US Airways direct is better than Americas West... But either way I'll try to have another entertaining trip report when I get back.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 14th 2004, 11:50 pm

Have a safe and fun trip! I would love to go to Vegas one day.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jan 15th 2004, 6:22 am

Vegas! well, I'll be interested to hear your reports on this year's trip :D

some colleagues of mine went there on 'business' a few months ago and the tales of debauchery and gigantic loss of money were very entertaining...

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 15th 2004, 10:17 am

Sounds like fun to me. I've never been to Lost Wages, but I've heard from friends that lots of fun can be had there. Stay safe!
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jan 15th 2004, 3:44 pm

My girlfriend is in Vegas right now too. She just arrived last night for a medical conference. Good thing she's staying at the Sahara, so I don't have to warn her about mglenn. :P
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: Vegas Again!!

Post by lance » Jan 18th 2004, 12:49 pm

mglenn wrote:Thats right, its that time of year! VEGAS BABY!!! I'm heading to the city of neon on Friday the 16th through Tuesday the 20th. Staying at the Excalibur. So if you're in the area stop by the Excalibur Poker Room, look for the guy in the red hat and say hello.

PS: Hopefully US Airways direct is better than Americas West... But either way I'll try to have another entertaining trip report when I get back.
Mglenn,

Have a tremendous time. I am downright envious. Enjoy.

:D

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 18th 2004, 7:31 pm

I haven't been to Vegas for a while, so I'm jealous too - can't wait to hear all about your adventures!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 29th 2004, 2:29 am

Okay, you have had a week to recover - tell us all about it!

:mrgreen:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jan 29th 2004, 11:05 am

OK, been busy building websites and programming my ass off since my return, but here goes.

Flew out of Pittsburgh on US Air at 11:45am on Friday the 16th. Very long flight, almost 5 hours to Vegas. Land at 1:25 local time (3 hour time difference). Head for the baggage pickup and meet our LIMO DRIVER!!! :D Get our luggage and head down to the pickup area and Maureen, our limo driver, pulls up in a 2002 Cadillac Escalade stretched to fit all 8 of us very comfortably. We was PIMPIN!!! Short ride to the Excalibur, during which the guys try to convince the girls to go topless out the moon roof of the limo, but apparently we all date very conservative women cause it just didn't happen. After check in at the hotel we all meet back together and look for someplace to eat, cause for us its dinnertime. Unfortunately Vegas doesn't think its much past 3 and none of the dinner places are open yet. End up eating at the American Cafe at the NY NY. And wow was it expensive. $160 for 8 people... the beers were something like $9 a piece. We head our separate ways and I'm off to the Poker room at the Excalibur.

As I'm getting chips I tell the poker hostess that I'd like to be tracked for room rates. So she gives me a form to fill out and apparently gives my $100 dollars to the guy cashing out beside me.... huh... I gave you $100 for chips. Uh Oh... Jerry the Poker Room manager is on the phone to security. I listen as my exact movements for the last five minutes are told to Jerry and then security shows up and then minutes later the guy that took my money is back and returning my money and then whisked away. Surreal! Finally sit down to play and make it for about 6 hours till I lose $30 or so on one hand cause I didn't see the straight possibility on the board and my trip Queens don't hold up. Figure that’s a sign that being up for 18 hours and trying to play poker don't mix. Head for bed.

Back up and at the poker table by 7:30 am and play till just after 9 am, win back my losses from the night before, when my girlfriend, Vicki, comes down and we go and grab some breakfast before meeting the LIMO AGAIN to go to the Hoover Dam. That’s right PIMPIN TO THE DAM. All we need is some bling bling and we would look so ...white! Hover dam is awesome. Some of the guides are hilarious. The only thing was the way the pounded you with facts over and over again. The dam is 726 feet high, 660 feet wide at its base and 45 feet wide at the top, 96 workers died during its construction... I swear I'll remember that till I die. Back on the limo and to the hotel. The total cost of the limo rides was $450, which was a bit more than expected but we all agreed it was well worth it. Here's the website http://www.lasvegastransportation.com/ if your interested and ask for Maureen.

Dinner at Sir Galahads Prime Rib, food was terrible and service was worse. The waitress made as if it was the most difficult thing in the world to split our bills by couples. Finally had to tell her to imagine that in her world we are all sitting as separate booths, and in our world we'll all be together. I think that just confused her more...

Walked the strip on Saturday evening and saw the fountains at the Bellagio. Crashed after a long day.

Back up at 7 and playin poker till just after 9 again and then get some breakfast at the Sherwood cafe, which is the only good place to eat at the Excalibur besides the fast food joints. Went to the Shark Reef at Mandalay bay, which I would rate as 2.5 stars outta 5. Then played poker for 13 hours straight :twisted: ! Crashed just after midnight after being down $150 and then turning it around and walking away up $100 or so.

Monday: The usually morning poker, then breakfast at the Sherwood cafe and then we headed to the Grand Canal shops at the Venetian. 5 outta 5. That place is cool. The ceilings look like they are moving, living status, and Gondolas. Wow!!! A must see! Over to the Mirage for a bit and then back to the Excalibur. Lunch and then poker till dinner. Ended up $180 or so from poker over all. Felt good playing this year, was in control and was respected at the tables. Ate dinner at Mizuno's Japanese Steak and Chicken in the Tropicana. 15 outta 10 stars! Best meal I've had ever in Vegas and maybe in my life. Played some slots and wondered around a bit till we crashed flew back the following morning to Pittsburgh.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jan 29th 2004, 11:24 am

mglenn wrote:...Maureen, our limo driver
I have a mental image of Maureen. Don't know why, but it's not healthy... :mrgreen:
mglenn wrote: Finally had to tell her to imagine that in her world we are all sitting as separate booths, and in our world we'll all be together. I think that just confused her more...
heh :D I've had this problem so many times... next time, I'm using that line - fabulous! I wonder if she'd seen The Matrix.
mglenn wrote: the guys try to convince the girls to go topless out the moon roof of the limo, but apparently we all date very conservative women cause it just didn't happen.
and it was what time? Around 2pm? Well, I'm with the girls on this one... that's something you do when you're completely sloshed at 3am. I bet Maureen wouldn't have batted an eyelid though :shock:

I remember last time I was in the states I watched some late night trash TV and it was about this documentary crew that basically went around pretending to be cabbies in LV, and got people in the back talking about what they did/things they'd seen etc. It was scary stuff... but very entertaining.

It sounds like you had the typically enjoyable time - even though you'll be reciting Hoover Dam facts in your sleep... one day I might go to LV, just to see what it's like. It sounds like a fun place to be for a couple of days.

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Jan 29th 2004, 5:27 pm

I thought US Air abandoned Pittsburgh months ago :)
Last edited by pgh kenny on Feb 21st 2021, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jan 31st 2004, 10:17 pm

They haven't left yet. Still in talks with the city and mayor Smurphy over rates and stuff.

Next time I'm heading for IKEA I'll let ya know and we can grap a bite to eat if you want.

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Sep 20th 2004, 7:49 pm

How is Las Vegas?? Its always kind of been my dream to go to LasVegas! I would love to hear all about it.. I love watching movies that are made in Vegas ( I love Vegas Vacation and showgirls lol)..

I hope to go there when I turn 21. It just seems like it would be a blast.. Just very exspensive..

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 20th 2004, 11:07 pm

Actually, Vegas is not very expensive. If you want to get a kick ass suite, you can spend a lot of money, but you can get a nice room on the strip for a decent price and eat good food for less than what you would spend on vacation elsewhere. You don't need to be 21 unless you want to gamble. I went with my friends when I was in college and none of us were 21, but everyone drank and gambled and had a good time. They only asked us for ID once, and actually they only asked my friend and his girlfriend, not the rest of us. :mrgreen: There is so much to see and do in Las Vegas that you can spend a long weekend there and not see everything. You don't have to spend a ton of money on getting tickets to big shows. Most of the hotels have free stuff to entertain you, so that's a money saver too.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 20th 2004, 11:57 pm

Angela_Catalano wrote:How is Las Vegas?? Its always kind of been my dream to go to LasVegas! I would love to hear all about it.. I love watching movies that are made in Vegas ( I love Vegas Vacation and showgirls lol)..

I hope to go there when I turn 21. It just seems like it would be a blast.. Just very exspensive..
There are cheaper hotels away from the strip. Also many parks to take a walk in, toss a ball or ride a bike. Also hiking opportunities in the mountains surrounding Vegas. Along the strip are a couple of very beautiful churches if you want to get away from the glitz of the strip for a while. I personally recommend the Shrine of the Most Holy Redeemer across from the Luxor, very nice.

If you want to rent a car and drive for a bit most of the main streets will take you clear across the valley. Maybe and hour to an hour half north in St George, Utah is a Shakespeare performing company that I have heard is quite good.

-LanceMan