Who was Corey Halfrick really interested in?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Who was Corey Halfrick really interested in?

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 19th 2002, 6:16 am

Since Rickie had his eye on him, Angela tried to make herself be into him, and Rayanne struck up a rapport with him, do you think Corey was ever really interested in any of them? Here's my theories:

Rayanne ~ Corey seemed intrigued by her quirkiness and even painted her shoes, but he had to know her reputation and so somehow I don't think he was interested in her.

Rickie ~ This would be my bet of whom he was interested in, if he was interested at all (and I'm not so sure he was). I think, like Rickie, Corey was glad when Rayanne proposed the idea of the three of them going to the World Happiness Dance. But I don't think Corey was as comfortable in his own skin as Rickie was (not that Rickie was that secure yet), and I think that's why Corey was a bit standoffish after he discovered that Rayanne wasn't going to show up.

Angela ~ Their interaction always cracked me up because of the way Angela would talk with Corey but always be watching Jordan. If Jordan stopped being jealous for one minute, he would see exactly what was going on. In any case, I think Corey was simply looking for more people to paint, and he wasn't really interested in Angela as anything more than that.

So tell me. Have I completely nailed it, or have I gone insane?

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Re: Who was Corey Halfrick really interested in?

Post by Joanna » Jan 19th 2002, 1:22 pm

I think you nailed it when you said that Corey was just looking for more people to paint! LOL...he was a bit wierd but if I had to pick someone he was interested in I would probably have to say Rayanne....he was obviously abit taken aback when Rayanne never met him at the dance (and so let Rickie on his own) and I think if it weren't for her then he would have never showed an interest in the other two. I don't think he was too fussed over Angela because he was too self-involved and so those two would not have made a good couple anyway. Let's face it, Angela was never really over Jordan! Out of all of those though I just feel soooooooo sorry for Rickie (he looked so cute and vulnerable at that dance just before he danced with Delia)!

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Re: Who was Corey Halfrick really interested in?

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 19th 2002, 6:26 pm

Joanna, that whole dance scenario reminds me so much of high school even though I went to a Catholic all-girls school. It was still a pain trying to find someone to go to a dance with, and I ended up only going to two dances in my career, partly because that just wasn't my scene and partly because I didn't want to bother with finding someone to go.

You have a good point about Corey only really showing interest in Rayanne, which is crazy. Had he paid attention at all, he would have seen how fickle she was. Then again, it's easy to get caught up in her energy.

As for the dance itself, I'm glad Rickie and Delia had a moment of fun. It seems the two people, who meant well but somehow got dissed the most, ended up having more fun than everyone else who was trying to manipulate the situation. I suppose that's the morale of this story. If you want something, you should wait until it's time instead of forcing it.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Aug 16th 2004, 1:20 pm

I got the idea that Cory was confused about his sexuality. The only people I find him to be interested in are Ricky and Rayanne! But I also just read the book "my so called life goes on" and he still acts as if he likes both of them, but might think he is gay.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 16th 2004, 7:14 pm

Corey and Raynanne
NIGHTJESSI wrote:Rayanne ~ Corey seemed intrigued by her quirkiness and even painted her shoes, but he had to know her reputation and so somehow I don't think he was interested in her.
I disagree. I tend to think that Corey really didn’t know that much, or nothing, about any of them before he popped his head into that science lab, so I don’t think he would have known that about Rayanne, and I doubt that his would be the kind of friends who gossip about Rayanne Graff’s sex life. ((This is probably just me, but I always had the impression that Corey was new to the school … although I guess it’s unlikely that the main characters would get involved with two new students in one episode.)) I still maintain that he did not know them very well.
While Corey was clearly looking forward to asking Rayanne how she liked her shoes, I think that what he was looking forward to was talking about the painted shoes, rather than Rayanne herself. He also like the way she cried in her audition, but I see no real reason to think that he is interested in her romantically. Although, now that I think about it, it is possible that he was disappointed beyond the shoes, that maybe he had envisioned dancing with Rayanne or something, “it’s just weird you know… (can’t find that quote at the dance). But, on the other hand, he’s kind of weirded out by both Rayanne and Angela when they break into giggles about soup and crackers. A

Corey and Angela
NIGHTJESSI wrote:In any case, I think Corey was simply looking for more people to paint, and he wasn't really interested in Angela as anything more than that.
Totally! No interest in Angela in any other way. There’s no “Oh, I’m glad you’re here, let me show you what you need to do,” wink, wink, kind of thing going on when she shows up to paint. I kind of have the impression that he thinks she’s a little dumb: “You really wanna know?” “I didn't know you were interested in art” “Don't forget to wipe it off each time” And after her messy and miscalculated advances, he really has no interest in her.

Corey and Rickie
I have never had the impression tat Corey is gay. He clearly likes Rickie as a person, he thinks he’s funny and that he has oak tree painting potential, that he has a cool vest, and probably that he’s nice, but I think it ends about there.

A question that might be worth exploring, prompted by NIGHTJESSI attempting to explain Corey being “standoffish” at the dance, is why Corey leaves… Yes, he had been looking forward to Rayanne being there, be he enjoys Rickie’s company, so why not stay? Does he leave the dance completely, go find his friends, or go and find a girl to dance with? Does he leave the bleachers because he is that disappointed, or has he run out of things to say to Rickie, does Rickie make him uncomfortable, …?
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

igor
Tino

Post by igor » Aug 17th 2004, 1:56 pm

“You really wanna know?” “I didn't know you were interested in art” “Don't forget to wipe it off each time” And after her messy and miscalculated advances, he really has no interest in her.
I would disagree about him thinking Angela's dumb.I interpreted his reaction to her questions as him being surprised that someone actually cares about art and I think he is genuinely glad that she "really wants to know" about the play, which of course she doesn't, but that's another subject. The statement that "he really has no inetrest in her" is a bit far- fetched, meaning that we hadn't had much time to get to know Corey's character in order to judge on the degree of his interest.We don't know if he finds her attractive or not, interesting or not.But taking into consideration the fact that Jordan "keeps seein' her talking to that guy Corey", I think it is safe to conclude that he is interested enough to engage in conversation with her.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 17th 2004, 2:47 pm

igor wrote:
Quote:
“You really wanna know?” “I didn't know you were interested in art” “Don't forget to wipe it off each time” And after her messy and miscalculated advances, he really has no interest in her.
I would disagree about him thinking Angela's dumb.I interpreted his reaction to her questions as him being surprised that someone actually cares about art and I think he is genuinely glad that she "really wants to know" about the play
Yeah, I'm not really married to that theory. I was really just exploring a thought. I totally buy what you're saying.

igor wrote:
The statement that "he really has no inetrest in her" is a bit far- fetched, meaning that we hadn't had much time to get to know Corey's character in order to judge on the degree of his interest.We don't know if he finds her attractive or not, interesting or not.But taking into consideration the fact that Jordan "keeps seein' her talking to that guy Corey", I think it is safe to conclude that he is interested enough to engage in conversation with her.
Another good point. We really don't see enough of Corey to come to any concrete decisions about his interests in the characters. And thank you for reminding me that Jordan says he keeps seeing her with him.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 3rd 2004, 2:39 pm

my opinion of Corey is that he is a very nice person who is seriously into art. I think he is attracted, not necessarily in a romantic way, to people who are different and are willing to explore creativity. I think he likes Rayanne because she wears outrageous clothes, and the same with Rickie. who is he interested in romantically? it's hard to say. I really just think he is one of those people who is easy going and will talk to anyone. he might not be interested in anyone from their group.

I thought it was sad though at the dance that he left Rickie. they seemed to be getting along rather well. they at least seem to have better chemistry than him and Angela. and maybe that's just because she is trying too hard with him.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Sep 3rd 2004, 10:19 pm

Reading some of your thoughts on Corey brings to mind the Greg Kinnear character in As Good as It Gets. IIRC, his artistic fascination with people was sometimes mistaken for romantic or sexual interest.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

sarahr_81
Overlooked Sibling

Post by sarahr_81 » Sep 10th 2004, 6:19 pm

well, i always kinda got the feeling that he was into rayanne the most, but i wanted him ti like rickie.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 11th 2004, 6:54 pm

Nostradamus wrote:Reading some of your thoughts on Corey brings to mind the Greg Kinnear character in As Good as It Gets. IIRC, his artistic fascination with people was sometimes mistaken for romantic or sexual interest.
maybe this is true. I just rewatched Betrayl, and I noticed that Cory didn't acknowledge Rickie or Rayanne at all when he was near them. the only person he talked to was Angela. so maybe he is only interested in art!

MyLifeIsBrians
Yearbook Team

Post by MyLifeIsBrians » Sep 15th 2004, 2:53 am

Nostradamus wrote:Reading some of your thoughts on Corey brings to mind the Greg Kinnear character in As Good as It Gets. IIRC, his artistic fascination with people was sometimes mistaken for romantic or sexual interest.
I think that was it. He did`nt seem to swing eithier way. He was just into painting shoes.
There`s Something About My Life....

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Sep 15th 2004, 7:13 am

I think that Corey's disappointment over Rayanne's ditching him and Rickie at the World Happiness Dance shows that he's at least straight and not gay.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Sep 15th 2004, 10:26 am

Snerk ,
OK I was the freaky dressing art kid in highschool :lol:lol:lol. I even paitned my shoes...well boots but I digress.

I thik Corey was interested in Rayanne, becuase she showed interest in his art. I think the dance episode ( I know I'm lame I never remember episode names, bear with me.) was done to show that yes Ricki was gay, in case there was doubt, and to show the problems this causes for teenagers, and that heart break of any kind hurts like hell.

It was really a vehicle to move Ricki's cahracter forward , more than anything to do with Rayanne, or Anfela, but then does allow for the Jordan jealousy in later episodes.
Remembering that seasons are written ahead so you can blend threads together.

OF COURSE I could juts be talking out my.....

CrimsonGlow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by CrimsonGlow » Oct 15th 2004, 11:03 am

Corey is the type of character that is found in many people. That is someone who is very into something, like Corey and his art, and are not into relationships and all that mushy stuff because they have so much going on. But to me, he clearly showed the most interest in Rickie, the most as a friend. Yes, Corey was the type not into relationships and everything that comes with it for he was so into his art and projects, but I used to think that maybe Corey kind of showed interest in Rickie as more than a friend, but a friend for starters. That's why he was hoping Rayanne would go to the dance with the three of them so that he could count on Rayanne on being the one to help ease the tension of getting to know Rickie. Maybe Corey was self-conscious (they are teens in high school) about being seen only with Rickie or he was too shy to communicate alone with Rickie and Rayanne was the one to get things started. I thought of this when I first watched this episode in '94.
"Seeing a teacher's actual lunch is like, sooo depressing"