What are lifers listening to these days?

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Sep 13th 2004, 1:15 am

I've been listening to the Shins a lot lately (their old album, I haven't heard the new one yet.)
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

special_k
Yearbook Team
Location: Closer to here than there, in the land between dreaming and waking...

Post by special_k » Sep 13th 2004, 2:15 am

Radiohead, Coldplay and the Lost In Translation soundtrack. All that's missing is a steady rain.
"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong, and those are the ones that change your life."

Jessie, "Once and Again"

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 14th 2004, 3:10 pm

Jody Barsch* wrote:I've been listening to the Shins a lot lately (their old album, I haven't heard the new one yet.)
I love The Shins!! I had no idea who they were until the film Garden State came out. the scene where they are introduced is great! an old friend of mine drove me from B'ham to Savannah last month. we used to be really close, but then we began to change and drifted apart. so it was great to hang with her again. we were deciding what cd to play first and she said, "I've got this new band that I'm obsessed about, you have to hear them, The Shins!" and then I told her how they hadn't left my cd player for 2 weeks. so she played their new cd for me. and it is just as amazing as the old one. the rest of the drive was great (until of course we had a blowout). we realized that as we had grown apart since high school, somehow we were really similar again. it was a great experience. and just goes to show the power of bonding, or rebonding, music causes. and then she introduced me to a ton of other bands that were similar. it was like christmas.

dtheater, thanks for the info on Wilco. they sound very intriguing, and I will definitely try them out.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Sep 14th 2004, 9:25 pm

Frank Klepacki's website has recently been revamped with a more stable jukebox, so I've been running it in the background a lot lately.

http://www.frankklepacki.com/
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 14th 2004, 11:35 pm

I just downloaded a bunch of Billy Bragg live shows so that should keep me happy for a few days. :)

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Sep 17th 2004, 10:53 pm

Latest acquisition: M. Night Shyamalan's Signs Original Score By James Newton Howard.

Still looking for a copy of Unbreakable by the same; may have to special order it.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

frozen embryos
Nicky Driscoll

Post by frozen embryos » Sep 18th 2004, 12:14 am

bands such as the f-ups, cheap suits, fm static, the casualties, squirtgun, green day, anti flag, the beach boys

EchelonFan
Tino

Post by EchelonFan » Sep 18th 2004, 6:13 pm

the f-ups and green day r good. those are two of my fav bands.
You are a speck, in this vast universe, you are a dot and nobody loves you.
-30 Seconds to Mars

The Mars Amry is coming... Earth will have no chance.

[california divsion- ECHELON]

kenickie
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kenickie » Oct 10th 2004, 2:58 am

Green day are excellent - the best.

Another band I'm really into at the moment are a UK electro band called Client. Really catchy tunes by two clever ladies... check them out!
Let's make the memories that dreamers only claim,
But it's hard, when the world knows your name.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 13th 2004, 7:20 pm

Green day has really started to evolve from potty-humor to real issues. I like the new song on the radio now, "Idiot America," but I haven't heard the whole album.

I'm mostly listening to my friends' bands' new cds: Bixby Lane and Phat Phunktion. Not that anyone has heard of them. <sigh.>
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

music

Post by lance » Oct 14th 2004, 12:26 am

Lately,

I have been on this weird Ramstein kick. When the mood does strike me I do listen to Megadeth or vintage Metallica, I have even had a yen for Sepultura (Brazilian speed metal band, pardon my spelling) from time to time.

I just happened to pick "Mutter" a couple of months ago and I have just had a blast. Part of is has come from testing my almost non existant German. I would guess what the words mean, go to a couple of websites and find out just how horrible wrong I was.

:oops: :D

Also I just really like the music almost a blend of classical pieces and harder rock. Interesting stuff.

-LanceMan

CrimsonGlow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by CrimsonGlow » Oct 15th 2004, 11:20 am

I'm always listening to grunge era (timeless anyways) and punk rock (no, I mean the real kind) and garage rock. Right now:

Courtney Love
Green Day
Nirvana
Franz Ferdinand
The Killers
Modest Mouse
Sex Pistols
"Seeing a teacher's actual lunch is like, sooo depressing"

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Oct 16th 2004, 3:14 pm

Green Day is real punk rock? They sounded more like Phil Collins the last time I heard anything by them.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 17th 2004, 2:48 pm

dTheater wrote:Green Day is real punk rock?
Yup, right along with Modest Mouse :wink:
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Oct 17th 2004, 7:10 pm

Im listening to:

Counting Crows
Ben Haper
John Mayer
Pete Yorn
Jimmy Eat World
Postal Service
Yellow Card

..... and lots of others. Has anyone heard of Elbow? They are from the UK but I have seen a couple shows here in the US. They are awesome!