Camera-shy Claire & Brokedown Palace

Discuss former or new projects of Claire Danes ("Angela Chase") in this forum.
BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Camera-shy Claire & Brokedown Palace

Post by BeeJay » Aug 16th 1999, 3:15 pm

The following excerpt appeared in the San Diego Union-Tribune, Saturday, August 14, 1999, under the byline "DATELINE HOLLYWOOD" by George Rush & Joanna Molloy;

"Claire Danes got a shock last Tuesday. The actress, who is supposed to be promoting her film "Brokedown Palace", which opened yesterday, arrived at its premiere party and discovered the news media were there. What's more, reporters actually had hopes of talking with her!

But the 20-year-old Danes did her fawn-in-the-headlights thing-- ducking into a corner at Club Ohm with rocker boyfriend Ben Lee. Danes' rep, Cari Ross, says she was "overwhelmed" by the media because publicists at 20th Century Fox, which is releasing the flick, told her there would be no media. One exasperated Fox flack counters, "Of course, she's going to blame us"

Danes may have been tongue-tied because she doesn't care much for her film, about American high-schoolers sent to a Thailand prison for drug-smuggling. She already has told Flaunt magazine, which co-sponsored the Ohm bash: "It could've been a great movie, and that's what's so upsetting...So it's so tragic, It's heartbreaking."

Good thing that Danes' gracious co-star, Kate Beckinsale, was willing to chat it up at the party. Beckinsale acknowledged that, after three and one-half months of shooting in the Philippines, she was more than eager to get home to boyfriend Michael Sheen. "I got home and immediately got pregnant," she said. "it's like getting out of prison -- what's the first thing you're going to do?" The couple's daughter, Lily Moe, is now 6 months old."

I thought you all might find this interesting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: Camera-shy Claire

Post by angelika » Aug 16th 1999, 4:11 pm

No offense to BeeJay AT ALL, but it seems like this article's entire purpose was to slam Claire Danes. It's as if they were SEARCHING for bad things to say about her, and some of the quotes didn't even sound true. It's too bad that the media trys to take bad AND good people and situations and turn them into a soap opera. And why would Claire Danes say something like that about her movie? She wouldn't. If she didn't like the script, she wouldn't have agreed to do it. And if, in the end, she wasn't happy with it, she SURELY wouldn't want to turn anyone away from seeing her new movie. I wonder how much credibility these writers have...

Post by Guest » Aug 16th 1999, 5:12 pm

no, she said it. i read it with my own eyes in flaunt. they can't make that stuff up cause if they do and the stars sue them, they'd be done for. also, if you listen really closely on the conan interview right before they show the BP clip, conan says "i'm sure it's a great movie (sligh pause) let's see the clip". right in the pause, claire says ever so softly "no, it's bad" and she doesn't look like she's joking. the only reason i noticed her say that was because i watch everything with closed captioning on (bad habit).

sometimes stars sign on to movies they like, but the movie can get jacked up in the editing process. it happened to winona ryder and lukas haas in "Boys". they both loved the movie, and both are great actors, but they were really unhappy with the final product. claire might also have a bad taste in her mouth about the movie due to the phillipines/banning issue, and it could cause her to not like the film as a whole. who knows, but i'm pretty sure she doesn't like it.
-somastars

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Aug 16th 1999, 5:47 pm

I have to agree with you because I read(and just now I can't remember where) that during the filming of BP there was a difference of opinion over the script and where it was going. Apparently, Claire signed-on thinking one thing about the movie and then, during filming found out that editorial changes had been, or were being, made and she protested the direction the film was going. But, she was supposedly over-ruled, and consequently, her attitude about the final product.

Post by Guest » Aug 16th 1999, 7:51 pm

that sounds really familiar, i think i read that too. did you read that EW article posted on the claire message board? i agree that claire took some bad turns, but i don't think it was due to leaving tv. it just sounds like a die-hard MSCL fan trying to bring back the show. :) no prob with that here, though.

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Aug 16th 1999, 10:03 pm

I just got back from reading the EW article and I have to say that she makes a good point when she states that Claire would have learned a lot more about what makes a really good show if she had stayed on TV with those same writers and director, etc. But who's to say that she hasn't learned that lesson in the world of feature films? I guess her next movie will tell the tale.

Heck yea, I'm with you! Bring back MSCL! But seriously, I really couldn't tell what the author's intent was. I mean who could expect Claire, or anyone else for that matter, to go to Yale AND work a weekly, hour-long drama?

Post by Guest » Aug 16th 1999, 11:04 pm

yeah, that author was definitely up a rock w/the Yale + MSCL idea. :)

i checked the conan thing and i got a bit of it messed up. here's what really is said:

(trying to transition from masturbation topic to BP)
Conan: "No, this is not the clip I want to see right now. (audience laugh) Well, I've heard it's a really good movie. blah blah blah..."
Claire: (after conan says "really good movie", but while he's talking) "No, it's not good".

and that's the exact words.

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Aug 17th 1999, 12:45 am

Wow. Well I think you're both telling the truth, but I just can't imagine her saying something like that. Even if she didn't like the movie, you wouldn't think that she'd announce it on national television... Maybe that's just me, but it just doesn't seem like the thing to do...

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Aug 17th 1999, 10:15 am

I know what you mean...it's like cutting off your nose to spite your face! Seems like it would be the last thing she would want to do. But, we don't know what went on at the set, so for all we know, there might have been a very heated discussion about it and Claire is feeling like she has no control over what actually makes it to the theatre.

adam
Three Rivers Resident

Post by adam » Aug 17th 1999, 12:25 pm

have any of you guys seen the movie? i've read about six reviews of the movie and all of them totaly trash the movie. i haven't seen it yet but i still want to go even if they haited the movie they have been wrong before. i saw when claire was on conan and i heard her say that it's bad. i read somewhere that claire is never satisfide with any movie that she makes.

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Aug 17th 1999, 12:46 pm

Yes, I saw the movie on opening day. Truthfully, I was a little disappointed; mostly because of the ending. But, Claire was great. I thought she did an excellent job. The acting was good all around, but i thought that the characters were not developed well enough. More time should have been spent getting us to know the characters better.

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Aug 17th 1999, 4:42 pm

HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION: Sally: "Hey, Cindy! Your hair looks really great today!!" Cindy: "No, it's all frizzy and messed up. Thanks, but I'm really upset with it today."

A lot of times certain people can't take compliments either out of embarrassment of being in the spotlight or because they don't feel like they deserve the credit for it. Maybe this is the situation that Claire is in?

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Aug 17th 1999, 5:48 pm

Hmmm, interesting thought. It's really very confusing, isn't it? I wish I knew. But, if she did, in fact, have a difference of opinion over the direction the movie went, then it is possible that she is trying to distance herself from the movie, so as to not be associated with it.

Post by Guest » Aug 17th 1999, 7:16 pm

that's a interesting point, but it still doesn't make sense. when they go on those late night type shows, they go specifically to promote the movie. i'm pretty sure they get paid, by the show or by the movie production company. i mean, if they go on and promote the movie, people will go see it, meaning bucks for the company that made it. if anything, i think claire is going to get into trouble for saying it's bad. the company might be less likely to use her in future films, especially if she's not going to promote them.

did anyone else catch the online article at entertainment weekly about claire transistioning too soon from tv (other then beejay)? :) the lady writing it said the press was -laughing- at claire's acting cause they thought it was that bad.

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Aug 17th 1999, 11:56 pm

How could our beloved "Angela's" acting be BAD?? Are those people out of their minds?