Symbols and Motifs in films...

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Symbols and Motifs in films...

Post by Jody Barsch* » Sep 2nd 2004, 9:17 am

I was thinking that maybe we could generate a list of films that employ symbols and/or motifs in their story telling ...

Examples:

Pulp Fiction -- [spoiler]The bandaid on Marcelus' neck and the brief case -- one theory being that this is where his soul was cut out from him, and where it is stored[/spoiler]
The Sixth Sense -- [spoiler]the color red puntuating moments of stress and adversity, signifying things in the living world being impacted by a spirit[/spoiler]
Miller's Crossing -- [spoiler]symbolic of Tom's quandary, leads a life of its own, blowing off in the wind, then magically reappearing on the stair...[/spoiler]
There are tons more, and I'm not even sure that these were the best examples to give; what others can you guys think of?
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Sep 2nd 2004, 9:32 am

Interesting topic... hmmm. the only one that occurs right now is

Fight Club: [spoiler]the destruction of the physical surroundings(buildings) parallels the main character's mental health - he moves into a hovel of a house, and right at the end all those buildings falling down [/spoiler] But to me, Fight Club was all about mental illness, and I know some people don't agree.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 2nd 2004, 11:13 am

well, one of my favorite films EVER is The Graduate, and mostly because of all the symbolism. it's basically a coming of age story about the main character Ben. and in the first half of the film, there is a ton of water symbolism. ex. him sitting in front of a fish tank, and many scenes of him in the pool, as if he is submerged and suffocating in his life.

Post by Guest » Sep 2nd 2004, 12:15 pm

O.K here is one,like this hasn't been debated before.The terminator, and T2: Judgement day completely filled with biblical references

-John Connor=J.C= Jesus Christ, the Mesiah
- Sarah Connor( in the Old Testament Sarah was suppose be the mother of a great nation, that was to become God's chosen nation)
-the notion that certain thing are predestined to happen, hence the notion of The Judgement Day, apocalipse etc..
- John Connor's almost immaculate conception(Kyle Reese, a virgin from the future impregnates Sarah, in T2 at a certain point John Connors birth data are shown on a computer screene: AGE TEN
MOTHER:SARAH CONNOR
FATHER: UNKNOW

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Re: Symbols and Motifs in films...

Post by Nostradamus » Sep 2nd 2004, 10:41 pm

Jody Barsch* wrote:The Sixth Sense -- [spoiler]the color red puntuating moments of stress and adversity, signifying things in the living world being impacted by a spirit[/spoiler]
I haven't seen The Village, but the director's first three films shared some themes:[spoiler]All were set in or around Philedelphia. All involved the supernatural. Water was a weakness of the hero in Unbreakable and the aliens in Signs.[/spoiler]
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain